Changing headlights on Fiat Ducato

Paullissac

We have a campervan on a Fiat Ducato base and need to change the headlights to go through the French registration switchover process. Our van is a 2011 model with a build date of November 2010. Apparently 2010 was when the model went through some upgrades, including to the headlights and the way to identify which lights we need involves removing the light unit and looking at the connecter on the rear which should have either a purple or yellow element. Simple, except removing the unit is virtually impossible. So i am wondering if anyone might know if there is any other way to identify which is the model of my vehicle, i.e. is it from before or after the upgrades. Ordering online will make the cost about half, saving £300 on French dealership prices but we need to be sure to order the correct model as the vendor is reluctant to send unless they are 100% certain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Paul.

On-line adverts suggest that Ducato X250 headlamps remained the same from mid-2006 when the X250 was introduced until mid-2011 when the Ducato gained Euro 5 powerplants.

I believe the potential difference between the headlamps of a 2006-2011 Ducato and the headlamps of a 2011-2014 Ducato is that the latter can have daytime running lights (DRLs).

A 2006-2011 headlamp had a 55W H1 bulb for main-beam and a 55W H7 bulb for dipped-beam.

A 2011-2014 headlamp normally had a 55W H1 bulb for main-beam and a 55W H7 bulb for dipped-beam.

However, when the 2011-2014 vehicle had DRLs, the main-beam bulb was a 15W/55W H15 type and the connection for that bulb differed from the H1 bulb’s connection.

As your campervan was built in November 2010 right-dipping headlamps suitable for a 2006-2011 Ducato should be the ones to get.

I've only ever done it the other way, from LHD to RHD (three times) Last time I did it was just over a year ago with a 2018 Ducato. To be honest, I spent ages scouring eBay etc looking for the correct lights and ended up letting the garage sort it all out. Yes, it cost more, however, they sourced the lights and fitted them, saving me the hassle of ordering them, getting them fitted and possibly finding they were not correct. There is also the risk the garage might damage the lights so getting your money back from an online purchase could add to the stress/hassle. Another issue is that you can't rely on the serial numbers to inform your choice as both LHD and RHD Ducato lights have the same serial number. The garage/dealership will be in much better position to source the correct lights, especially if they are a Fiat dealership.

A friendly Fiat dealer ought to be able to advise the correct part number from the VIN number (or strictly, should be able to identify the correct current part number, and it is relatively easy to identify the required plug colour/vintage from that).

Alternatively, there are various posts around the web on how to remove a headlight from that vintage of vehicle (you can search, or I could suggest a few). It is described as fiddly, but not over-difficult.

I would suspect from your build date that the lights will be the earlier (yellow plug) variety, but it is far from certain. If you can't easily identify, and are looking still to save a little, then how about buying the later, purple plug variety, and a couple of these adapters?

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=adapter+headlight&search_by=1

The adapters are far from cheap, but you would hedge your bets that way, and it would potentially allow you to source the light units cheaper than the dealer.

As I understand it, Paul needs to obtain a pair of right-dipping headlamps for his Fiat Ducato-based campervan to allow the vehicle to be registered in France and pass the required contrôle technique inspection.

It is quite possible that suitable new headlamps can be obtained from firms advertising on UK websites and that the cost of doing this may be £300 less than buying from a Fiat agency in France,. But the cost-difference is likely to be due to the UK-sourced new headlamps being ‘pattern’ parts rather than the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) headlamp-units that I would expect a French Fiat agency to supply.

An example of inexpensive pattern headlamps for a Ducato X250 is here

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/0001366101080-oen

(The advertiser is based in Germany.)

However, it isalso possible to obtain similar Ducato new ‘pattern' headlamps in France for €100 or so for each headlamp-unit. A French Fiat agency should be able give Paul the Fiat OEM numbers for right-dipping left and right headlamps that would be appropriate for his vehicle. Once he has the OEM numbers, he should could use those numbers to help identify matching pattern headlamps advertised on French websites.

Despite what I said earlier, adverts for Ducato headlamps do suggest that there was some sort of change in late-2010 and some adverts do carry an image of a purple connector’s ‘face'.

Having never attempted to remove a Ducato X250’s headlmp (It’s easy on the later X290) I don’t know how hard it is, nor if it is possible to disconnect the wiring-connector with a headlamp remaining in situ so that the connector’s colour can be confirmed.

These French YouTube videos might help if the headlamp has to be removed/replaced.

Derek,

it is obvious that Paul has done his homework.

From the build date of his 'van, it is likely that it requires the pre-2011 "yellow plug" headlights, an example of RHD ones shown here:

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=15&secondary=22&opts=1257&term=Fiat_Ducato_Mk3_(06_to_11)_2.3_JTD_Headlamps

...however, the date is close enough to the "break point" for it to be possible that he needs the 2011-on "purple plug" variety, especially if the 2011 refers to model year, an example of RHD ones shown here:

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=15&secondary=22&opts=3792&term=Fiat_Ducato_Mk4_(11_to_14)_2.3_MultiJet_Headlamps

The plugs are incompatible (hence the existence of the adapter in my post above).

Paul, or his dealer, will need to source the appropriate units, which may be determined from VIN look-up or removal, or rely on buying the later ones and having the adapter harnesses to hand just in case.

He could try inputting the VIN into:

https://www.fiatdalys.lt/en

..and then tracking down the headlights. It doesn't always recognise the VIN, but if it does, then it should only offer the appropriate parts (which will be RHD, but the part number will reveal the plug type)..

I’m guressing that Paul has discovered that several of the adverts for Ducato X250 headlamps carry references to 2006-2010 or 2011-2013 and (as you’ve said) the November 2010 build-date he has quoted leads to doubt as to which right-dipping replacement headlamps would be correct.

I THINK the Fiat OEM numbers for appropriate right-dipping light-units for Paul’s campervan are

712431901129 (Left) and 712431801129 (Right)

These would be for Magneti Marelli-made units and probaly cost around £160 each - but ‘pattern’ equivalents would be a good deal cheaper.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

In this 2015 forum thread Nick Fisher describes the headlamp removal procedure

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/replacing-nearside-headlight-assembly-ducato-x250/37016/

and I’ve copied his advice below

First you need to remove the top plastic panel above the light. There are 2 screws to remove and it will prise out easily as long as the screws come out ok.

The lower plastic trim has another screw in it and then its just a matter of gently pulling it towards you at the end nearest to the grille first and if you can place a drift (piece of plastic) between the bottom of the headlight and behind the trim to ease it out sideways it may come out without breaking a clip. If one clip does break they can be glued back on but in all honesty it will fit back perfectly well with it broken.

Next you undo the three screws that secure the headlamp, move it forwards a bit to get to the electrical connector; slide the collar across to release the plug and you are out!

The potential pitfalls are if the screws have never been out they may be seized in the nuts which are bonded into the headlamp. The nuts may turn with the screw but this does not matter because you are replacing the lamp unit anyway. Use hex headed screws next time and grease the threads!

Your replacement headlamp may be of the later type and could require an adaptor loom to be fitted between the old plug and the new lamp. Vehicles built after 2011 have a different connector with an extra wire in it for optional DRL's.

You need a large Pozi-drive screwdriver, a 10mm socket and a small flat screwdriver will help to ease the connector collar over; just put it through the loop and slide across.

Archived