Charging Gremlins and wiring connections in general

Guest nick  dean

Guest nick  dean
many years ago i was told by a local auto electrician that quite a lot of charginng problems he encountered were very often traced back to the scotch lok on generator lead and easily remedied by replacing scotch lok withh a good screw conector instead . makes sense as it is a much more substantial connection . from personal experiance of campers / caravans a lot of the connections in general are not very well made ie mechanical strength/ insulation etc thus being a fault liability in years to come( but always seem to just out last gaurantee) no bad feelings meant but an awfulll number of mechanics/caravan fittters are not versed in the ways / finessse of electics i say this as a retired bt engineer. a new caravan we bought many years ago always gave trouble on one side electric wise !!! yes youve guessed it . obviously each side teminated in factory by a different person!!!!! i rest my case.

Nick the training ain't what it used to be. Armed with a full tool pouch No 3 you could deal with anything. It's all go on the GPO... regards Neal

I dont beleive in those screw through the top connectors. Eventually the hole in the battery seems to get too large. Give me the clamp type, Obviously with a nut & Bolt fastener to secure it Also most mechanics seem to forget to coat the terminals with good old vaseline petroleium jelly. This stops corrosion from forming on or about the terminals

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nick .dean
Pete C we aint talkin about batterry connexions i was refering to the alternater supply main power lead. that needs a good connexion to power fridge and all the other ancilliaries / gizzmos us motorcaravaners ask off our poor old workhorses but you are quite right about batt conns of that type , clamp is best. copperslip works well also as an anti corrossive for batt posts,.could even be better as it has a conductor in it.!!

Archived