Charging laptop

Mikeandthewife

Hi all

When away in our van and away from electrics, I charge our laptop with the laptops standard 240v lead plugged into our inverter, not knowing anything different i thought this was my only option when not plugged into electrics. However, I was browsing the forum a while back reading peoples problems and forum members suggestions to sort them and one of the conversations was about charging your laptop via a 12v thingy-me-Bob type thing, and all you need to do is this and that in your van to accommodate it, I was amazed and thought that's a great idea, I must a make a note of that.

I stupidly didn't make a note and now I can't find the conversation either, can anyone help/point me in the right direction, thanks in advance.

Mike

Unless you are having problems using the invertor to charge your laptop it might be just as well to carry on using that.

To charge from 12v there are a couple of ways, you can get dedicated 12v chargers for laptops, these can be specific to your laptop (I have one of these) or a charger with options of different output voltages and connectors (I also have one of these) , or if you have a USB C it may be able to be charged from a high voltage USB C charger, or possibly even a mobile phone USB C charger, I was very sceptical of using a mobile phone charger on my Dell but it seems to work! although it is very slow and takes hours, but doesn't on my Acer.

There can be other benifits of 12v charging:

The charger can is often smaller and the cables.

The 12v source socket can be more handy.

The inverter power loss can be much lower.

I have been using them fo 10 years, no regrets, we do have a 240 inverter as well for other stuff.

Archived