Chassis mounted rear bike racks

Matrix Meanderer

Hi. Finding our Ebikes a little heavy to lift onto our Fiamma Pro E Bike rack, we're considering the chassis mounted version. Looks like there are two main suppliers who also install:

LNB leisure of Bristol and Roadpro.

Prices are a bit eyewatering :-( but both look robust and practical.

We know that both the Fiamma and Thule lift racks will not fit due to our bodywork profile.

We also don't need a tow bar- equally expensive.

Our MH is an 18 plate Adria Coral on a Fiat Ducato chassis.

Any experience and recommendations on these chassis mounted racks?

Hello Ian

Like you we have an Adria Coral and two electric bikes which we carry on a Fiamma rear mounted bike rack. No problem apart from the bikes appear to be getting heavy to lift. (Getting older both me and the bikes).

We have a tow bar which we tow my wife's little car when in the UK. So a tow bar mounted bike rack in the UK is out!

We looked at a tow bar mounted bike rack for use on the continent and that’s where we hit the problem of extra weight off the payload. If your Coral is like ours and plated at 3.5 ton; then any extras have to be considered very carefully.

Tow bar mounted bike rack are made of steel and are very heavy compared to aluminium made Fiamma bike racks.

So our way forward is a Fiamma Carry E Bike lift with a winch that can lift 60 kgs. They are more expensive than a normal Fiamma bike rack but could solve both our problems.

We also considered a side loading single axle motorcycle scooter trailer; but then that’s double the cost on the Euro Shuttle and extra problems with manoeuvre ability both on the road and on aires, sites etc.

Hope this helps. Chas

Hello Ian

Just reread your post where you say, " We know that both the Fiamma and Thule lift racks will not fit due to our bodywork profile."

Your profile says you have an Adria Coral 670SLT Plus the same as ours and the Fiamma Pro bike rack and the Fiamma Carry E Bike lift are the same width. The Fiamma Carry E Bike lift is slightly shorter than the Fiamma Pro bike rack, so it should fit.

Chas

Hi for my last motorhome I needed a rack for my Honda ANF and two pushbikes. It looked as it would need to be a custom made rack therefore expensive so I made my own. I took off the existing towbar (a four by one and a half box section and two, two by two angles) , bought two 125 -75-10 mm aluminium angles 1.5 m long, had friend fold up two aluminium channels, one for the rack and one a ramp , bolted it all together with two runners from the bike rack l had, job done. Put the scooter on the rack and then jumped up and down on it to test it. Solid as a rock for less than £100. Took it off when I sold the motorhome and the angles are in my garage probably never to be used again unless you fancy trying something like that yourself

Regards David

ChasB - 2018-09-13 3:57 PM

Hello Ian

Just reread your post where you say, " We know that both the Fiamma and Thule lift racks will not fit due to our bodywork profile."

Your profile says you have an Adria Coral 670SLT Plus the same as ours and the Fiamma Pro bike rack and the Fiamma Carry E Bike lift are the same width. The Fiamma Carry E Bike lift is slightly shorter than the Fiamma Pro bike rack, so it should fit.

Thanks Chas. Not sure what year your Coral is but our 18 plate Coral SLT has bulbous rear bodywork which prevents fitting the Fiamma e lift unit. The Thule Lift bike rack will fit with some alterations to the lower fitting (so Rose Awnings say).

We're still considering our options and may stick with what we have whilst we can still lift the bikes on.

Thanks

Archived