Chassis types

Guest Bill H

Possibly my last query ref Rapido 986M. I see an advert "upgraded chassis" What is the advantage with other chassis. Are they necessary re weight etc. I may go to Finland in 2007, otherwise all in UK. Bill

Guest Derek Uzzell
As far as I'm aware, in the case of Mercedes-based 9-Series Rapidos the term "upgraded chassis' merely means that the chassis has been plated at 3800kg MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass). I don't think there are any technical differences whatsoever between the running gear of a 3500kg MAM 986M or a 3800kg version. Certain 9M models do differ conversion-wise according to the MAM, with the 3800kg ones having bigger water tanks than the 3500kg ones. For what it's worth, the Fiat-based 9-Series follow the same pattern with 3500kg and 3850kg MAM versions having identical chassis. The exception is the 924F that is built on a Ducato 15 chassis at 3500kg MAM or a Ducato 18 chassis if the 3850kg MAM option is chosen. Presumably the new 927F (replacing the 924F) also uses different chassis for different MAMs.

Archived