Chassis

Pete-B

It is a replacement for the original chassis, manufactured by Al-Ko. Galvanised, lighter in weight, lower, and with a wider rear track and independent rear suspension, they attach to the rear of the cab on coachbuilt (including A class) 'vans. It is generally accepted that they improve ride and general stability while allowing a lower van floor level relative to the ground, so easing access. Special, pre-prepared, cab or cowl units are usually delivered to the converter with short chassis stubs just behind the cab floor pan. The Al-Ko chassis is bolted to these stubs at the converters premises; in the case of some of the larger converters by Al-Ko technicians. The resulting chassis-cab or chassis-cowl units then proceed to installation of coachbuilt bodies in the normal way.

I've always wondered, how do converters isolate torsional stresses from AL-KO chassis. Do they just use rubber bobbins or something more engineered. I imagine some of the longer versions twist pretty spectacularly when faced with a bit of cross axle stress. Those forces have to go somewhere - you can't twist a box (well not very much anyway). 

Just in case I'm ever in a 'contemplating AL-KO mood' sometime future does anyone know?

Archived