Chausson 510

Knaus

Hi anyone with a 2015 Chausson 510 on Fiat. Just fed up with all the rattles and creaks. Yes we have all our pots and pans wrapped up taken the oven shelf out when travelling. Main noises seem to be in the cab area. We had our previous van a Knaus Traveller for 11 years and never had any issues with noise etc. Really disappointed with it.

I've got the 2015 610.

Let's just say. WE will never fall asleep while driving.

I and my brother, whom is good at balancing while I drive to find them out.

Still not very good though.

The supplier thought mine was better than most !!

The rattles on my 610 improved significantly when I adjusted the tyre pressures - they were set to the recommended pressures of 85psi when I got it, so I got the axle weights and emailed Michelin (the tyre manufacturers) and changed them to 51psi for the front and 68psi at the back which made a big difference to the rattles and the comfort.

If you're tempted to try this, please find out the correct pressures for the axle weights from your tyre manufacturers - they're likely to be different from mine!

Gordonm, how much persuasion did you have to use with Michelin? Their stance on rear axle tyre pressures has always been 80psi. If they are now changing their stance, life will be better for all of us because as you say, getting the right tyre pressure makes for a better quality ride.

It’s the ETRTO’s advice that’s the problem.

Michelin’s safety and utilisation guide says:

“The ETRTO also states that where CP tyres are used on the rear axle (single fitment), they must be inflated to a pressure of 5.5 bar instead of the normal pressure of 4.75 bar for example.”

Michelin just follows that dictat.

It’s not easy to sidestep this. I tried it once by saying “I’ve acquired these Michelin "Agilis Camping” tyres that I plan to fit to my Ford Transit commercial van that has the following measured axle-loadings. Can you advise on suitable tyre pressures?” I was told 80psi for the rears.

Fiat advises that the tyre inflation-pressures for Ducatos fitted with CP-marked tyres should be (15” wheels) 5.0bar/72.5psi (front) and 5.5bar/80psi (rear) or (16” wheels) 5.5bar/80psi (front and rear). Like it or lump it, those are the ‘correct’ pressures unless the motorhome converter advises otherwise.

Me, I don’t much care what Michelin says as - if I were going to alter the pressures of CP-marked tyres on my motorhome based on weighbridge measurements - I’d just use equivalent data from Continental’s on-line technical files.

The rattles are not from the blinds. They are from the bed, above can section, cyborgs, floor, table, dread, tv bracket, in fact every part of it. It's our 8th MH and probably the most vocal.

And yes I've tried lowering the tyre pressures.

It's a Chaussin thing I gather.

I must say on the French motorways it's fine.

It's still a nice Mh. But they do need to work on the rattles and squeaks

OK, I lied a little - Michelin told me 80psi for the rears too, but they did say 51psi for the fronts so I did a bit of maths to scale it up proportionately and then experimented until I was happy. I wasn't going to suggest to anyone that they should just make up their own tyre pressures - I'm happy to take responsibility for my own theories but wouldn't want them to hurt anyone else. 7,000 miles later, including long stretches of 80mph French motorway, pressures and temperature monitored by my excellent Tyrepal TPMS and I'm quite happy with my choice. I tried to write it in a way that when people got the '80psi' statement back, they'd either read between the lines and experiment or play safe at 80psi if they had any doubts.

Reading the specification for the Michelin Agilis tyres, they are made to be over-inflated rather than under inflated, and Michelin assume that the average motorhome will be badly overloaded at the rear axle - so I can understand the whole 80psi bit in this litigation riddled society, but I weighed mine with a realistic maximum loading and made my decision accordingly.

Archived