Chelston Motorhomes

TheEscapist

Dear All

Does anyone else have a good, bad or indifferent experience with Chelston Motorhomes sales or after-sales?

I have bought a Carthago Liner for Two from them. So far so good but forewarned is forearmed as Im sensing things might not go as smoothly as I hope...

Sales have had an easy time as I visited last year and discussed the Liner for Two. I didn't see or drive one but saw other similar level vehicles by Carthago and other manufacturers.

I say easy as once I discovered from the manufacturer that the rear seat belts and bed conversion was available I was advised Chelston had order for quick delivery, so a couple of phone calls later and the deal was done.

I've been happy with the salesman, Paul Willicott so far but as I say he has had an easy job really for a large ticket sale. I negotiated a big discount and off we went.

He told me to deal directly with the technical team for installing the extras, so enter Paul Bright. He has been very helpful and yesterday shared videos of the vehicle arriving.

Today I was told by Paul Bright that the MD has told him he cannot communicate with me and all communication must go through Paul Willicott. This doesn't sound very positive in terms of getting things done and I can only imagine the reason is financial in that they want to handle "pricing" via sales only.

At this point reading around for more reviews on Chelston I see mixed reviews, mostly very positive but also some serious issues with the after-sales side. Some horror stories on servicing in particular.

My concern now is how best to progress the sales and installations by getting things done well and on time for the April 12th collection whilst keeping good relations. Thereafter, I need regular services.

As I say above, so far so good but I'd value anyone's experience with Chelston and also general advice as this is my first dealing with a motorhome dealer!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul,

I will start off by saying I have had no dealings with the dealer aforementioned but will make a suggestion.

You seem to be having some reservations over the make of solar panels and controller being offered so when you do take delivery why not consider a visit to our 'resident' electronic expert in North Wales for his expert opinion on the installation.

Only a suggestion and may save you a lot of grief down the road...

Keith.

This all sounds perfectly normal to me. When i have bought new motorhomes i have been pleased to work through a single point of contact, rather than have requests/instructions fall in the gap between two people.

There are many dealers and other professionals in the motorhome business who either contribute to these pages or silently follow the various threads. You will not endear yourself to Chelston with a post like this, and i can only advise you to trust the dealer until you have overwhelming evidence that something is wrong. Chelston are a major player in the south-west, they have been around for some time, and there is every reason to invest your confidence in them.

Just make sure that your instructions to them on accessory fittings are detailed on placement, finish and design, so they know exactly what you want and expect, and things should not go wrong. For example, when I had a solar panel fitted I discussed with the technician what panel; exactly where it would be positioned; what feet to use; where the lead would run on the roof; where it would go through the roof; where the wiring would run inside the van, where the regulator would sit; what regulator they should fit, and how it would be connected up to the batteries. Go over things in detail, particularly as you are spending a lot of money.

My experience is that if you invest in the dealer, they will treat you well. After all, they want you to come back for another one in 2-3 years!

Regards,

Laurence - 2019-03-20 7:26 PM

This all sounds perfectly normal to me. When i have bought new motorhomes i have been pleased to work through a single point of contact, rather than have requests/instructions fall in the gap between two people.

There are many dealers and other professionals in the motorhome business who either contribute to these pages or silently follow the various threads. You will not endear yourself to Chelston with a post like this, and i can only advise you to trust the dealer until you have overwhelming evidence that something is wrong. Chelston are a major player in the south-west, they have been around for some time, and there is every reason to invest your confidence in them.

Just make sure that your instructions to them on accessory fittings are detailed on placement, finish and design, so they know exactly what you want and expect, and things should not go wrong. For example, when I had a solar panel fitted I discussed with the technician what panel; exactly where it would be positioned; what feet to use; where the lead would run on the roof; where it would go through the roof; where the wiring would run inside the van, where the regulator would sit; what regulator they should fit, and how it would be connected up to the batteries. Go over things in detail, particularly as you are spending a lot of money.

My experience is that if you invest in the dealer, they will treat you well. After all, they want you to come back for another one in 2-3 years!

Regards,

Hi Laurence

I was very very clear that so far I’m very happy with the situation and the dealer.

I do however have a very good sense of intuition which I trust now very well and more than worlds from others. When I was told to deal with the technical side right up until today and then to be told by him he’s sorry but he can’t anymore on orders of the MD, that isn’t the way to treat a customer, as you say, spending a lot of money.

I have been incredibly fair and tried my hardest to get on well with Chelston doing all the legwork from my side but I’m no fool and when I sense there is a lack of cooperation it’s for good reason.

I’m also not poor so I’m not arguing with any of their pricing so they have ample opportunity to make money on this sale and the next and the next. However, when I’m not contacted back on what I want to know and only to be told what they can’t do, I see a need to ask for advice.

When they answer the phone tomorrow I’ll do my best to resolve things but for now I want to ask for help from those, like you, with more experience.

What I fear is they won’t fit items I want preferring an easy and more profitable life with their chosen products, Ie solar panels of their choice. That I won’t accept as a customer since I have the right to choose what I put on the van as agree at the outset.

I’ve bought hundreds of vehicles all over the world in my life and it never ceases to amaze me how dealers always feel the customer is a fool even when he has cash to buy lots of vehicles. I mean so they think we are all lottery winners? Lol. I’m not. I’m well educated but most of all wise from years of experience and I know that forewarned is forearmed as well as it’s always best to reach out to those who have experience,

Hence this question. Chelston might well see this. So what? I have said I’m very happy and only when they ignore the customers reasonable requests and patience, will I change my opinion. Until then I’m happy to recommend them on my expeirience so far. What I need is advice all the advice I can get on how to deal with this new breed to me - the motorhome dealer!

Best wishes

Paul

TheEscapist - 2019-03-20 8:12 PM

Laurence - 2019-03-20 7:26 PM

Regards,

Hi Laurence

I was very very clear that so far I’m very happy with the situation and the dealer.

I do however have a very good sense of intuition which I trust now very well and more than worlds from others. When I was told to deal with the technical side right up until today and then to be told by him he’s sorry but he can’t anymore on orders of the MD, that isn’t the way to treat a customer, as you say, spending a lot of money.

I have been incredibly fair and tried my hardest to get on well with Chelston doing all the legwork from my side but I’m no fool and when I sense there is a lack of cooperation it’s for good reason.

I’m also not poor so I’m not arguing with any of their pricing so they have ample opportunity to make money on this sale and the next and the next. However, when I’m not contacted back on what I want to know and only to be told what they can’t do, I see a need to ask for advice.

When they answer the phone tomorrow I’ll do my best to resolve things but for now I want to ask for help from those, like you, with more experience.

What I fear is they won’t fit items I want preferring an easy and more profitable life with their chosen products, Ie solar panels of their choice. That I won’t accept as a customer since I have the right to choose what I put on the van as agree at the outset.

I’ve bought hundreds of vehicles all over the world in my life and it never ceases to amaze me how dealers always feel the customer is a fool even when he has cash to buy lots of vehicles. I mean so they think we are all lottery winners? Lol. I’m not. I’m well educated but most of all wise from years of experience and I know that forewarned is forearmed as well as it’s always best to reach out to those who have experience,

Hence this question. Chelston might well see this. So what? I have said I’m very happy and only when they ignore the customers reasonable requests and patience, will I change my opinion. Until then I’m happy to recommend them on my expeirience so far. What I need is advice all the advice I can get on how to deal with this new breed to me - the motorhome dealer!

Best wishes

Paul

Laurence,

I forgot a key point. I cannot say exactly how to install, things as I’m not there. I’m in Spain, hence I was relying on their technical advice which I was reassured at the outset I would have.

Yes, I can collect it and do the work done elsewhere but I’d rather have it done now and they are a main Fiat and Carthago dealer.

Paul

Paul,

My other recommendation would be to put everything in writing, even to the point of following up a phone call with an email clarifying exactly how you interpreted the conversation. It then gives them the opportunity to discuss before any misunderstandings can happen.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-03-20 8:26 PM

Paul,

My other recommendation would be to put everything in writing, even to the point of following up a phone call with an email clarifying exactly how you interpreted the conversation. It then gives them the opportunity to discuss before any misunderstandings can happen.

Keith.

Thanks and t so I’ve done that too. I always do.

Paul

I am a member of Carthago Owners UK and if you click on the link below it will take you to our website.

If you scroll down to Dealer Reviews you will see how Chelston perform, as well as all other Carthago Dealers, based on members experiences. You do not need to be a member but feel free to join if you wish.

Regards

John

https://carthagoownersuk.wildapricot.org/

bounty hunter - 2019-03-20 8:32 PM

Paul

I am a member of Carthago Owners UK and if you click on the link below it will take you to our website.

If you scroll down to Dealer Reviews you will see how Chelston perform, as well as all other Carthago Dealers, based on members experiences. You do not need to be a member but feel free to join if you wish.

Regards

John

https://carthagoownersuk.wildapricot.org/

Thanks. I’ll join...

colin - 2019-03-20 8:42 PM

I would have no problems with being asked to go through one person, in fact I would expect it.

I agree but that isn’t the point. The point is that was not agreed at the outset and way it has been done stopping direct technical liasison which the technical person and I want.

My question is a wider one however regarding the dealer in general and dealing with dealers.

Thanks

I have dealt with Chelston now on 2 occasions. I have dealt with two salesmen, one being the one to whom you refer. I have had nothing but courtesy and help during the sales but of course you would expect that until a business gets your money. I 'negotiated'! a discount on each occasion but I am not naive enough to think that was my doing, I am sure they would have given the so called discount from the ticket price anyway but it made me feel better and of course that probably happens with all sorts of sales of goods.

After purchase of my second motorhome I did have a water leak from the external shower point and made arrangements to return for it to be fixed and replaced without any question. I had a well explained handover at the time of sale including an extensive test drive on the second motorhome. The only hiccup was that I believed that there was a fresh water tank heater installed as standard but I subsequently realised there was not, but they installed one free of charge without question. I have also been back for a service etc. (Had a loan car for the day on each occasion as I recall.)

I live in Cornwall some 100 or so miles from Chelston and wanted to ensure that the first motorhome would fit in my parking area at home so they drove it down before I bought it. (It was a second hand vehicle)

Up to now I have been quite happy with the service they have provided and intend to return soon to change my motorhome again. They don't know that as yet so they have no reason to ensure I am happy with their service and hopefully this will continue (or may be I have spoken too soon ! !)

As indicated I would return to the dealer for future purchases.

Can only speak as I find, others of course may have different experiences.

Dave

I can appreciate your frustration at being told by someone that they are not allowed to talk to you, the paying customer.

My only observation is that it’s fairly standard especially on big ticket items to have a single client relationship manger (the sales person) remain as the primary contact in order to keep things rolling through and to avoid conflicting instructions being issued. If you were put in touch with a technician then I’d have expected the client relationship manager to sit in on the conversation to maintain sales control.

So maybe matters have been switched back to how they should have been in the first place although I have the impression that the revised set up should have been explained to you rather than waiting for you to find out through your own initiative.

Personally, I’d have a chat with the MD to understand what’s going on and to express your concerns, an explanation from him/her plus some assurances may be all it takes to to give you the confidence that matters are not going awry and that you will continue to receive the pre and post sales technical support you’re due on such a big ticket item.

Chudders - 2019-03-20 9:03 PM

I have dealt with Chelston now on 2 occasions. I have dealt with two salesmen, one being the one to whom you refer. I have had nothing but courtesy and help during the sales but of course you would expect that until a business gets your money. I 'negotiated'! a discount on each occasion but I am not naive enough to think that was my doing, I am sure they would have given the so called discount from the ticket price anyway but it made me feel better and of course that probably happens with all sorts of sales of goods.

After purchase of my second motorhome I did have a water leak from the external shower point and made arrangements to return for it to be fixed and replaced without any question. I had a well explained handover at the time of sale including an extensive test drive on the second motorhome. The only hiccup was that I believed that there was a fresh water tank heater installed as standard but I subsequently realised there was not, but they installed one free of charge without question. I have also been back for a service etc. (Had a loan car for the day on each occasion as I recall.)

I live in Cornwall some 100 or so miles from Chelston and wanted to ensure that the first motorhome would fit in my parking area at home so they drove it down before I bought it. (It was a second hand vehicle)

Up to now I have been quite happy with the service they have provided and intend to return soon to change my motorhome again. They don't know that as yet so they have no reason to ensure I am happy with their service and hopefully this will continue (or may be I have spoken too soon ! !)

As indicated I would return to the dealer for future purchases.

Can only speak as I find, others of course may have different experiences.

Dave

Very kind of you Dave to explain. Appreciated. Yes, Paul W has so far been very polite and helpful to me too.

BruceM - 2019-03-20 9:03 PM

I can appreciate your frustration at being told by someone that they are not allowed to talk to you, the paying customer.

My only observation is that it’s fairly standard especially on big ticket items to have a single client relationship manger (the sales person) remain as the primary contact in order to keep things rolling through and to avoid conflicting instructions being issued. If you were put in touch with a technician then I’d have expected the client relationship manager to sit in on the conversation to maintain sales control.

So maybe matters have been switched back to how they should have been in the first place although I have the impression that the revised set up should have been explained to you rather than waiting for you to find out through your own initiative.

Personally, I’d have a chat with the MD to understand what’s going on and to express your concerns, an explanation from him/her plus some assurances may be all it takes to to give you the confidence that matters are not going awry and that you will continue to receive the pre and post sales technical support you’re due on such a big ticket item.

Those were my thoughts too Bruce. I’ll call tomorrow and ask for details. I hope things can be sorted out easily.

Well, I called today to speak to Paul W, the salesman I'm supposed to speak to only to hear he's "off for a few days".

I ask for the MD and "he's not in yet".

So yesterday Paul W called me and said we need to get on with things and he would get back to me with a plan - but never did and went on hols with no notice.

Paul , the technician says he's not allowed to speak to me.

Doesn't seem to me to be an ideal way to run a business and from my perspective I wonder whether they expect me to now chase the MD or just do nothing as they appear to be doing.

I'll keep chasing the MD when he is in but for sure communication at Chelston, which hasn't been great for the outset, has taken a turn for the worse.

Cheers

Paul

TheEscapist - 2019-03-21 10:16 AM

Well, I called today to speak to Paul W, the salesman I'm supposed to speak to only to hear he's "off for a few days".

I ask for the MD and "he's not in yet".

So yesterday Paul W called me and said we need to get on with things and he would get back to me with a plan - but never did and went on hols with no notice.

Paul , the technician says he's not allowed to speak to me.

Doesn't seem to me to be an ideal way to run a business and from my perspective I wonder whether they expect me to now chase the MD or just do nothing as they appear to be doing.

I'll keep chasing the MD when he is in but for sure communication at Chelston, which hasn't been great for the outset, has taken a turn for the worse.

Cheers

Paul

Had a good chat to Wayne at Chelston and he is very nice. He will get on and deal with it now as clear Paul W has dropped the ball.

All good.

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought three Adria motorhomes over the last 8 years from Chelstons and rate them very highly.

I particularly like their fixed price for accessories and their willingness to transfer accessories (Gaslow etc) from old to new motorhome at no or low cost.

New vehicle prices and trade ins have always been good value and sales people pleasant/helpful.

I have experienced their one point of contact rule and have had no problems with it.

All warranty work has been done without question or fuss.

So I'm a happy Chelstons customer and often recommend them.

UPDATE

Yet to take actual delivery as waiting now until after the Easter rush for parking near my home, but we did go down and spend the day at Chelston last week on the planned delivery day.

Everything has been handled really well. The van looks lovely, all fittings have been done to a very high standard and Wayne (MD) and his team have been extremely helpful, even fashioning a custom location for the generator under the rear scooter garage but set up into it to allow ground clearance.

Everything looks and sounds perfect with my only concern being the low siting of the rear self-levelling feet. These look very low (far lower than the front ones) and might hit speed bumps etc but apparently thats the highest they could be sited. We will see.

Tow bar on order but we will have the van delivered next Friday and as I say, so far the service has been excellent, albeit I have been looked after personally by Wayne as apparently things got too complex for Paul W.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I wanted to update you all as promised when I had the Liner for Two.

It was finally delivered yesterday and it's magnificent. I'ver driven it for around 6 short journeys so early days but here are my comments.

We went down to Chelston two weeks ago to see it and intended to collect it but it needed some work doing hence the delay.

The good:

It is very well made, drives well and is stable and comfortable, albeit the 4.8 tons max we are almost at makes it feel heavy on the road. There is enough power and brakes feel adequate always. The level of equipment is spectacular anyway plus I've added 420w of solar panels, a generator, E&P levelling, TyrePal. lots of extra sockets, an awning, Truma aircon, GasLow and more. Generator is amazing. Starts remotely from inside and can hardly hear or feel it such is the sound deadening as its been mounted below the garage in a cut out with its own petrol fuel tank next door. Solar panels trickle in power all day long in all conditions so 3 x gel leisure batteries always topped up. Haven't used Truma aircon yet but when tested before works well with mains or generator and very silent.

The bad:

I was expecting initial teething problems and a steep learning curve but not these ones:

- tyre pressures - the van arrived with a rear tyre looking flat. TyrePal said its low at 60psi as the tyres were set for 75psi all round. After a lot of toing and froing it appears the TyrePal is faulty and/or the tyre pressures are wrong. After around 10-15 mins of driving at 40-50mph and stop start the tyre pressures rise from 75psi at 11c at the rear to 86-87psi at 22c. Not sure if this is normal expansion but sounds right if the reading is correct on TyrePal but it triggers the alarms on TyrePal all the time. Fronts rise from 75psi to around 80psi and same temperatures. So I'm not sure if there is an issue with the tyres, TyrePal or something or neither and I just need to deflate and start at say 70psi. The TyrePal also cuts out and restarts seemingly at random.

- self levelling doesn't level automatically - says too steep or doesn't get to level and its a very gentle slope I'm parked on. Manually works fine but I thought the whole point was it could find level itself.

- the rear air suspension keeps flashing the red spanner symbol and beeping off and on.

- one locker doesn't shut too easily to needs slight adjustment.

- some 12v sockets need switching from German size to UK size.

- a few things were forgotten or not done properly such as sheets, tracker and cover.

- V5C needs sending off to change the conformity to 4 passengers not 2.

So, all in all a very happy buyer once the above are sorted but I'm aware that a lot of work was done FOC and I'ver been well looked after. I guess I just assumed the suspension, wheels and tyres etc would be straightforward as would be sockets!

Any advice re TyrePal, tyre pressures, levelling, suspension or more greatly received.

All the best

Paul

Regarding tyre pressures, can I ask for help decyphering this guide:

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/85806/e0854f2c7866c64da551474b998ef8b3/download-technical-databook-data.pdf

I have the following tyres all round on my van:

Continental VancoFourSeason 2

Size 225/75 R16 C

I don't see this listed exactly in the guide but I see the size. Not clear on the codes and recommended pressures as a result. Seems to be telling me 4.75 - 5.75 bar ie. 68 - 83 psi (note 83 psi is the max on the tyre wall).

Thanks

Paul

Given your motoirhome’s specification I would have thought that the advised inflation-pressures for its tyres would be 5.5bar/80psi for front and rear axles.

A significant increase in the ‘cold’ pressures will occur when the motorhome is being driven and I would consider a rise from 75psi at 11C at the rear to 86-87psi at 22C not unusual.

You haven’t said which TyrePal system you have, but (as I said here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyrepal-reliability/51623/

my experience with their Solar system is that the batteries in the tyre-valve sensors do need to be in a good state of charge. This may not be the case with a brand-new system, as there’s no way of knowing how long it’s been 'on the shelf’ or how old its sensor-batteriies were to begin with.

You need to check what values have been input to your TyrePal system and, if those data are OK, I suggest you change the batteries. TyrePal would quite likely give you a free set of batteries if you complained about your system's behaviour, but Eunicell batteries are very cheap to buy on-line.

Hello Derek

Thanks.

The TyrePal model is TYC2158 and it's new with the van.

The problem with running at 80 psi is that it will mean the pressures rise significantly over the max on the van of 83 psi when at running temperature or are you suggesting running at 80 psi when 'hot' which would mean around 70 at 'cold'?

Paul

Archived