Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot X250 juddering-problem threads

Derek Uzzell

I've noticed that some points raised in the ongoing (currently) 18-page-long thread "Major Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen problems/ Reversing judder" were covered very adequately in earlier forum discussions on this subject.

This repetition may be inevitable and unavoidable given the way this forum is structured, but it may still be worthwhile reminding participants who have joined the forum relatively recently that there's an awful lot of previous 'juddery' stuff that may be of interest. Probably the simplest way to get at it is to Search the forum (see "Search" in Welcome-box at top right of webpage), setting Filter by Author to AndyStothert (one word and spell it right!) and setting Date Limit to All Posts. This will retrieve a list of threads that contain a contribution by Andy, many of which address the juddering defect. The biggest of these threads is titled "Major Fiat/Peueot/Citroen problems", but it's worth looking at them all.

As the juddering-fault discussion is plainly going to run and run, it may also be worth reminding forum members that there's a finite limit to the number of visible postings a thread can contain. The earlier thread I mentioned above hit that limit at 27 pages. That leaves 9 pages remaining for the current thread, after which any further contributions to it won't be viewable.

Being one of the affected X250 owners,I feel that time and trouble should be taken to allow ALL postings regarding this issue to be represented.

I have made a considerable investment in my vehicle and it doesn't make me happy to see attempts to 'brush it under the carpet'. This is one of the ways it can be highlighted to FIAT that it is not a problem inncurred by the 'Minority' as they refer. It makes my blood boil when I see magazines,month after month carry (in some cases) a double page spread extolling the virtues of the FIAT chassis specially built for motorhomes.

It is a difficult balancing act to perform when the ads bring in much needed revenue. In the past some publishers have taken a stance against some advertisers,I can't see it in this case. The Advertising Standards Agency won't acknowledge the ad as it does not offend (pah!) butis it not somewhat of a misrepresentation?

Fiat do monitor the posts on forums like this. It is a problem with Fiat Italy not allowing FIAT UK to admit to anything-don't fall into a trap of being an apologist for what is clearly a product, which for our use, is unfit for prupose.

Guest Tracker

And it's not being made any better by the absence of any comments whatsoever about Fiat or Peugeot reverse or first gear issues in any road tests in ANY magazines currently whether it be club publications or public offerings.

These TRANSMISSION DESIGN FAULTS are so well known now that the lack of due dilligance towards the very customers that the road tests are supposed to be helping stinks and I for one am very tempted to cancel my subscription to MMM in protest.

Someone must know a decent lawyer who could get an informed barrister's opinion on the activities of the base vehicle makers, the converters, the selling dealers, the vehicle dealers, the leisure media and the clubs who are all without exception behaving and trading without a shred of integrity and in a thoroughly dishonest way.

I'm bloody glad I don't have one and I am absolutely certainly not likely buy one in the foreseeable future.

My heart goes out to all those poor sods who invested their money in good faith when all the parties involved in the manufacture and selling process knew full well that they were selling vehicles unfit for purpose due to TRANSMISSION DESIGN DEFECTS.

I have a 3 litre fiat M/H, yes occasionaly it judders in reverse, but most of the time it is the best hgv I have driven.

It is fast,quiet, economical, comfortable, and at 13000 odd miles in 18 months, so far reliable.

Lets be fair, ford and mercs have had problems acording to other web sites

although not the same as Fiat.

Hopefully Fiat will sort out the problems some people have, which I admit are major.

I had to say something seeing what so many non owners had to say.

Cheers

Guest Tracker

I've driven two, both 2.2 ltr 5 speed, albeit only relatively short distances, and I found both juddered very slightly on pull away in first but that was almost negated once you got the hang of how to let the clutch out.

What I found unacceptable was the dreadful judder when going backwards.

This is, I believe, mainly because of to the overly high gearing you have to slip the clutch to prevent going backwards far too quickly.

The judder occurs when slipping the clutch and they both juddered violently enough for me to decide that I did not want one.

This was in dry conditions in daylight on tarmac and there is no way I would like to have to manoeuvre one of these vans in the wet and on grass as I consider that the lack of control is at best inconvenient and at worst downright dangerous.

I might have taken a chance and bought one had the manufacturers had the honesty and integrity to retrospectively guarantee a proper fix but given their self denial - no way Jose am I going to risk my money and my enjoyment on an X250.

I am delighted that some people do not seem to have any problems and I truly hope that their good fortune continues but, knowing what I do so far, I can't afford and am not prepared to take that chance when the old Boxer is so well sorted and generally reliable and predictable - not perfect - but dependable when you need it in my humble view.

Same here with my 1999 Fiat 2.8. Great vehicle, a pleasure to drive and smoth as silk on the road/Also has a good turn of speed and acceleration.

I thought it was clear that my posting was intended primarily as a heads-up for forum members who might not be aware of the massive amount of information on the juddering problem contained in threads that have now slid off the bottom of the current webpage and/or can only be viewed.

Obviously (should forum members so choose) rants, questions, comments, etc. can be added to my original posting that are plainly related to the juddering problem itself. However, I can't see any value doing that, as all it achieves is to fragment further 'juddering' material that was already spread across too many threads.

yes had a new X250 in march 08 got shot of it 8 weeks later. I think I have demonstrated by action what I think of the Fiat X250. And yes it did cost me a lot of money to change at a dealer, would not sell privately because I have a conscience. Still follow the thread and spread the word to stop others from suffering like I did, after all it dosn't matter what you drive we are all one big community. Always wave on the road to say hello.

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2008-11-09 8:25 AM

I thought it was clear that my posting was intended primarily as a heads-up for forum members who might not be aware of the massive amount of information on the juddering problem contained in threads that have now slid off the bottom of the current webpage and/or can only be viewed.

Obviously (should forum members so choose) rants, questions, comments, etc. can be added to my original posting that are plainly related to the juddering problem itself. However, I can't see any value doing that, as all it achieves is to fragment further 'juddering' material that was already spread across too many threads.

And just what other way do you suggest is employed to keep this thread in full view Derek?

I must apologize, I did not point out, I have owned a merc 316 and 2.8 fiat M/Hs and done quite a few miles in both, niether come close to my 3L Fiat, so am not just giving personal opinions, just fact as experianced.

I just hope those with probs get sorted

All the best

Brian Kirby - 2008-11-11 11:16 AM

It seems we may have hit the max page/posts Nos buffers on the main thread Derek refers to above.  It seems now to be accepting posts, and increasing the post count, but not displaying them - or is it just me?

See my post at top

Archived