Citroen Relay Seats

bill.elder

Hi all

Just got the above but only comes with one arm rest per chair.

Can anyone advise on making them into a captains chair- fitting of second arm.

Question:

Is it a straightforward task?

Cost?

Source of said parts?

Instructions?

Thanks

Bill

IIRC (from last time I looked) the Relay only ever comes with one arm, but has advantage over Ducato in having adjustable lumbar support. Not sure if you can add a second arm, you will need to look and see if it has the holes to bolt second arm on, and if this clears lumbar support.

This advert suggests that (for the basic cab seats factory-fitted to Fiat Ducato X250-onwards vehicles (and presumably to the similar Boxer/Relay seats) an armrest could be attached to either side of the seat.

https://www.vanconversionshop.co.uk/fiat-ducato-oem-type-armrests-2007--581-p.asp?_=&variantid=584&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29uG4P7_8AIVlKjVCh2xCg4lEAQYBCABEgKQn_D_BwE

Earlier discussions here

https://tinyurl.com/4jjt72v5

(My 1st motorhome’s cab seats each had two armrests - I took them off. Each of my 2nd motorhome’s cab seats had a single armrest - I took them off. My current motorhome’s cab seats came with two armrests - I’ve taken them off. Funny old world innit...)

colin - 2021-06-04 1:58 PM

IIRC (from last time I looked) the Relay only ever comes with one arm, but has advantage over Ducato in having adjustable lumbar support. Not sure if you can add a second arm, you will need to look and see if it has the holes to bolt second arm on, and if this clears lumbar support.

Presumably depends on what the converter specifies. My new Wildax on a Relay has two armrests per chair......

It's logical that the single seats will have captive nuts institu, enabling fitting of armrests as required.

Otherwise it would require the manufacturer to have multiple options supplies for installing during production.

It should be possible to trace the seat upright to feel if nuts are fitted on the opposite seat upright to the existing armrest.

That’s a not-unreasonable suppostion, but within this 2017 MHFun forum thread (relating to a 2017 Peugeot Boxer)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/boxer-single-arm-rest.151438/

is the statement

My 2017 Boxer has single arm rests fitted to the left of the driver's seat and the right of the passenger seat. There is a lumbar support adjuster on the right of the driver's seat, in the position that the right arm rest would be mounted.

When I browsed through related motorhome forum discussions earlier, I noticed comments that fitting a 2nd armrest resulted in the loss of the adjustable lumbar-support feature, and it was often advised that the seat(s) needed to be stripped down to carry out the task. As I now understand it, it’s adding a 2nd armrest to the driver’s seat that is likely to be problematical due to the lumbar-support control.

I would have thought that, if one removed the single armrest from the passenger seat and ‘felt’ what was on the seat frame under the upholstery where the armrest fixing screws go in, if no lumbar-support control is fitted on the driver’s seat it should be possible (as you’ve said) to ‘feel’ for similar fixing points on the driver’s seat-frame.

Some years back ‘captain’s chairs’ became available as a factory-fitted option for Boxer/Ducato/Relay chassis intended for conversion into motorhomes/campervans. These seats had two armrests as standard (but no adjustable lumbar-support feature) but using these seats as an indication that supplementary armrests could easily be fitted to the basic single-armrest seat would be a risky assumption.

(The Citroen “Relay” has been in production since 1994, but I’m guessing that Bill’s "Just got the above means that his Relay is brand new. If Bill’s vehicle is a motorhome/campervan, it might be useful to know its make and model, and when it was built.)

Tintent115 - 2021-06-06 4:49 PM

colin - 2021-06-04 1:58 PM

Presumably depends on what the converter specifies. My new Wildax on a Relay has two armrests per chair......

On a 66 plate WildAx could not supply seats with two arms, so that has changed recently.

Archived