Citroen relay x250 electric window problem

trialsrider

Hi there

Parked up van tonight. Noticed passenger window was twitching up and down a few millimetre despite me not touching the window button. Its never done this. Went to shut it and it's stopped working completely both from the driver's side switch and the passenger switch. Driver's window still works fine. Any ideas what this could be ? Van is a 2014 swb relay x250.

colin - 2018-11-02 7:37 PM

Where the loom passes throu the door pillar there is a second panel behind which has a sharp edge and no protection, check that to see if loom is chafed.

How do you access this panel ? Is it by removing the plastic panel above the cab floor near the passenger footwell / entrance step ? Also does this window have an independent fuse ?

trialsrider - 2018-11-03 10:22 AM

colin - 2018-11-02 7:37 PM

Where the loom passes throu the door pillar there is a second panel behind which has a sharp edge and no protection, check that to see if loom is chafed.

How do you access this panel ? Is it by removing the plastic panel above the cab floor near the passenger footwell / entrance step ? Also does this window have an independent fuse ?

I named it a panel for want of a better word, if you carefully pull out the corrugated 'tube' which protects loom as it goes into pillar you will see that there is a second piece of metal with hole in it, on my 2011 Fiat x250 it is possible for the loom to rub against this.

We had the same problem last year with our drivers window. OH tried to repair it, bought a new switch, but still did not work. We had to take it to the Fiat garage (Commercial) and they had to take the dash board apart! Not cheap ! Ours was a Ducato, but probably simalar

PJay

I removed the rubber boot and all cables looked sheathed as they should be. Right pain getting rubber boot back on but it's on now. Couldn't see anything that looked or felt sharp inside door pillor to cause cable wear. Removed switch on passenger side. Looked like someone had been there previously as tabs seemed broken. Put an airline through both switches in case debris or dirt causing it but no improvement. Definitely something loose or shorting out as occasionally it works for a second or two but then stops. Clearly not a blown fuse. I disconnected switch on passenger side and controlled via driver's side control and no improvement. I think it's time to call in the professionals.

trialsrider - 2018-11-03 4:47 PM

I think it's time to call in the professionals.

exactly what happened to ours! Intermittent fault! BUT a right pain , as the last time it happened it was raining cats and dogs!

The pros will have to the right tools The cost was in the labour involved!

Guess you don't live in Portsmouth? As I would recommend our garage. They would know what to look for as they had done ours!! Never mind , get it fixed, as it always happens , when you don't want window open !!

PJay

I do not know how similar x244, and x250 electrical wiring is in this area, but for what its worth, on my x244 the window controls connect to the window motors via a common electric window and central locking control unit. This unit is located under the central area of the dashboard, hence the dificulty of access.

Alan

Strangely the window has sprung back to life as if nothing has happened. All working normally now. I do wonder whether this happened because of me giving the whole van a good wash. The inside windows were washed too. Could water have ingressed that has now dried or is this just optimism. Time will tell if it's rectified itself or I have an intermittent fault.

Hello,

If the problem does come back, it is considerably more likely that the wires covered by the rubber boot on the driver's door are to blame. The driver's door window switch is connected to both front windows; obviously, and as you probably use the driver's door much more often, i would have looked there first. Not only a Fiat problem this. I had to fix a similar issue on the rear door of a Honda Civic last year and the access to it was 10 times worse! I don't like cars.

trialsrider - 2018-11-04 4:11 PM

Strangely the window has sprung back to life as if nothing has happened. All working normally now. I do wonder whether this happened because of me giving the whole van a good wash. The inside windows were washed too. Could water have ingressed that has now dried or is this just optimism. Time will tell if it's rectified itself or I have an intermittent fault.

Gareth,

I think that you should keep your fingers crossed. I have recently delved into my x244 door, to replace a mirror. The there is a moisture barrier inside the door which separates the window area from the rest of the door. Inside of the moisture barrier there is the plastic covered hardboard trim panel before the switches. I suspect that your x250 will not be radically different, so it is unlikely that moisture would penetrate so far into the door. However there could be other areas where water has penetrated.

Alan

Archived