Cleaning the waste and water tanks

ColinM50

We've got an Elddis 196, new in March and thinking of putting it away for the winter. In our previous Swift we could open a lid on the top of the fresh water tank to give it a good clean out and be sure there was no debris in there. But can't see how to do this on this van.

Is it a case of clambering underneath and dropping the tanks to give them a clean out? Or what do you chaps (and chappesses) do?

Don't think I would ever go to the trouble of dropping the tanks as this sounds like a huge amount of work.

For the fresh water tank I make sure I don't leave it with standing water on return from a trip and flush the system through with water purifier once a year. For the grey waste tank we are very careful not to let food or grease get into the tank by wiping plate etc before washing and flush the tank through regularly. Last week for the first time I back flushed through the drain tap and quite a bit of black bits came out which I guess is the crud that builds up in the last section of drainage pipe so I will do that more regularly going forward. Our waste system has no hint of any smell after 4 years so we must be doing something right.

Hi all

Never really had any bad smells from waste tank, but after last trip away did notice slight whiff from the kitchen sink ,

Mixed a good glug of Lidl (bio ) washing liquid with hot water put down sink. flushed down with approx 10 litres cold water.

Stood for three days drove 60 miles for a few days away when tank full emptied out tank now completely whiff free

Been using Lidl bio instead of toilet fluid for sometime now seems to work well if you empty every other day as seems the norm anyway

Brian

ColinM50 - 2017-11-01 4:19 PM

We've got an Elddis 196, new in March and thinking of putting it away for the winter. In our previous Swift we could open a lid on the top of the fresh water tank to give it a good clean out and be sure there was no debris in there. But can't see how to do this on this van.

Is it a case of clambering underneath and dropping the tanks to give them a clean out? Or what do you chaps (and chappesses) do?

My Hobby motorhome had large screw-in ‘hatches’ in the underside of its waste-water tank that would have allowed the tank to be hosed out (though I never bothered to do this), but that’s not the case with my present Rapido. The Hobby's and the Rapido’s fresh-water tank can both be cleaned/dried via hatches in the tank’s top (two hatches in the Rapido’s case) and I do do this prior to over-wintering.

If the interior of your tank(s) cannot be easily accessed, you’ll need to use the methods advised above. Removing the tanks to clean them inside is a non-starter.

Archived