Coast to Coast

Albertslad

I'm considering planning a trip from Robin Hoods Bay to St Bees, as a dip in and out route to get back into using the van.

We don't intend to walk or cycle the whole route, but to explore the most attractive bits.

I've established the approximate number of campsites, pubs, public carparks and viewpoints, and I would split the route into 3 sections. Quite how long we would spend on each section is uncertain at this stage.

We live in the Lincoln area so we could dip in and out fairly easily.

Does anyone on here have any knowledge of this route or landmarks along the way?

I have the "CICERONE" "Walking The Coast To Coast Walk" 1:25,000 route map booklet.

Places to stay, places to eat and drink and places to view the scenery are all what will make this a success or otherwise.

Thanks in anticipation of some gems of experience,

Alan

I've done it a couple of times both cycling and walking.

Cycling wise the St Bees to Robin Hood’s Bay route is mainly off road and is quite strenuous. A gentler route (but still not for fat lads!) is the Morecambe to Bridlington route which is mainly on road.

The walking route pioneered by Wainwright is pretty much as you would expect - up and down a bit. I think with long distance routes part of the interest is in the changes as you pass from the lakes, into Westmoreland, the dales and the NY moors. The only bit I would want to miss out is the stretch between Richmond and Osmotherly - its a bit flat and part of my regular cycling routes so I know it of by heart.

The walking route is serviced by a couple of companies moving luggage - you may be able to get a shuttle back to your van on some legs.

Archived