Comfort Breakdown insurance is AA in UK; DAS in Europe

DavyS

There seems to be some confusion about who Comfort Insurance contract breakdown insurance to. So this morning I had a brilliant idea; instead of asking on this forum, I phoned Comfort.

I was told that the breakdown insurance is arranged through the AA in the UK and DAS in Europe.

I understand that the AA can read fault codes (saving you at least £50 at the repairers) and can contact AA central for advice. So that would be to me the decider to go with Comfort breakdown insurance. Plus knowing I will never have to negotiate yearly with the AA at renewal time.

It's £65/pa but £88 with admin fee if you want to add it midterm. I dont know why Comfort dont make this USP clear in their literature.

Incidentally, Green Flag are quoting me £105 for my car and motorhome. Considerable cheaper but does not have the advantage of AA.

Auto-Aid, who always come near the top in customer satisfaction surveys, are quoting me £58 for all my vehicles and drivers but limited to 2.5 tons. I have been with them for three years and they have never raised the price.

However, one of the advantages of RAC/AA/Greenflag is that you can choose the level of cover you want. With brokers like Comfort you get their standard cover - which can sometimes hard to fully understand the detail.

Hope this helps

Derek, the original post was about clarifying the extent of Comfort Breakdown insurance.

This post is about which organisation provides the service.

Nevertheless I take your point and will post a notice of this on the original thread.

DavyS - 2021-11-01 12:09 PM

I understand that the AA can read fault codes (saving you at least £50 at the repairers) and can contact AA central for advice. So that would be to me the decider to go with Comfort breakdown insurance. Plus knowing I will never have to negotiate yearly with the AA at renewal time.

It's £65/pa but £88 with admin fee if you want to add it midterm. I dont know why Comfort dont make this USP clear in their literature.

Probably because there are not many commercial garages that would be willing to commit themselves to a repair without first investigating it themselves and satisfying themselves as to the nature of the fault, before deciding on a course of action, replacement parts required, and offering the customer a quotation. They are also going to want to charge you for the time spent doing that. A lot of main dealer diagnostic equipment also works on the basis of reading fault codes present on the vehicle, and following the routines then presented to further diagnose, identify and resolve the problem. At the very least they are going to want to confirm what the AA have told you or them directly.

Archived