Comfortmatic Gears not selecting

pjstingray

Does anyone have experience of this gearbox not being able to select a gear. Currently waiting on a campsite in France for recovery to come and look. I can hear the click of the actuator trying to work. Any previous experience hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PJ

We had severe issues with our's in the previous van, - essentially we lost all drive and it dropped into N whatever we did, - It turned out that the fault was with the brake light switch which via the ECU acts as a sensor for the gear box. - It happened intermittently but left us temporarily stuck on the fast lane of the M6, very scary.

It does feel as if your problem is a little different, we could select a gear, but had no go. - makes me wonder if the issue is mechanical rather than electrical in your case, - either way the OBD needs reading for error codes by an expert, - little you can do on your own i,m afraid,

Discovered that these gear boxes have a number of electrical packs, - if there is a problem, the dealer advised that generally the problem lies with these and not the gearbox itself, they mentioned that most boxes are very solid but the odd one or 2 are the absolute pits. - Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it,

- Fiat dealers have a hot line to the factory for more obscure and complex issues, - they used it with our van and did get a solid answer, so if possible get it to an accredited dealership.

Thanks for the advice so far folks. I have been in touch with the recovery people, but can’t even get an appointment at a Fiat Professional Dealer for a week.

I thought about requesting recovery home, but as my van is left hand drive..... have heard issues with U.K. software and European vans.

My Ducato-based motorhome is LHD, but - although certain mechanical things are differently positioned to RHD equivalents - as far as I’m aware the software will be common to LHD and RHD Ducatos.

If it’s going to take a week just to get the vehicle looked at, and then there’s no guarantee that the fault can be quickly fixed, I’d definitely be exploring the option of repatriating the motorhome.

We had a problem with our 3ltr Comformatic in Spain a few years ago.We were due to leave the site after a week and could not get a gear . It turned out to be a hairline crack in the transmission fluid resevoir. Luckily for us the Fiat Professional garage was only 20 miles away and the brakedown truck came from there so we had it looked at straight away (on a Friday afternoon). One of the salesman could speak English and the 1st thing the mechnics suggested was the need for a new clutch, we,d had one fitted only 6 mths previously so eventually they found the fault and after 3 hours we were on our way, they did a temporary repair with plastic padding, pressure tested it and it held for another 1500 miles. The best 150 euros we spent as we had another 3 weeks of touring round . We eventually got the replacement resevoir fitted in the UK.

hi,

mines came on with the red fault light. i was in 5th or 6th gear at the time. could not select any gear. managed to pull off the road. tried to restart ,no chance. tried the reset according to the supplement. still the same.phoned my saga breakdown , who use RAC.

told call handler symptom, he said a patrol would attend. i then got a phone call back telling me it would be moved by transporter.like you no joy with the local fiat dealers.got it relayed home. the local fiat dealer could not do anything for 2 weeks.

i found an indepedent who could have a look at it. it turned out the main battery was low volts. the battery was changed , and all is now ok, done a 1000 miles since.

i got the gearbox oil changed at the same time

Well, it is increasingly looking like the Breakdown Recovery aspect of Comfort Insurance is worth little. I am still sat in the van for the 4th day after my breakdown and DAS (the recovery partner of Comfort) are doing nothing to help. A man with a truck did come and look at the van, kick the tyres, open the bonnet, rub his chin and leave again.

Archived