Compact motorhomes with garage - What's out there, any opinions?

MrNero50

Hi,

New here, so please be gentle!

We are looking to purchase our first motorhome and have fairly specific requirements.

We want a compact motorhome (6m or less) with garage space for at least 2 mountain bikes (so approx at least 60cm wide and 100cm high) and the van must be capable of functioning in cold conditions (European ski resorts, so I assume this means internal water tanks?).

Budget, preferably less than 30k but can stretch to more if needed.

So far have looked at a Chausson Welome Suite and Flash 04, Hymer 522, Knaus Van Ti 550, Dethleffs Globevan 1 and a Sunlight T60.

So far for build quality and space/layout the Chaussons are about right and as they are European, assume should be capable of handling the cold ok?

Is there any others which potentially meet our list of desirable characteristics?

Thanks

Dave

Oh, just thought the darker the upholstery the better, Spaniel and light colours don't mix!!!!

Guest Had Enough

This would be suitable - http://goo.gl/hl8oRv If it's still available you should be able to get a deal under your budget.

I had the slightly longer one with twin beds and it was excellent. Very well insulated with an inboard fresh water tank and under-slung but heated (on EHU or driving) waste tank.

An unheated waste tank isn't a big problem though as you just leave the drain open and let the water pour into a bucket. Tip out a big ice cube when it's full! We used ours in very cold conditions in France and it was warm as toast.

Other points - I store two bikes in my garage now but only because I have to as we have a scooter on the back, but it's not my preferred option. I'd rather have the bikes on a bike rack on the back of the 'van and leave the whole garage for storage. Now, when I want to get out the bikes I have to move out lots of other stuff and it's messy and inconvenient.

Upholstery - don't worry too much about the colour. It's easy to make, or have made, seat covers which will protect the fabric from your dog. You shouldn't turn down a perfectly good 'van just because you don't like the colour scheme.

The Hobby, on a Ford Transit, is also a bit narrower than some which, with its shortish length, makes it ideal for exploring those narrow roads and hill villages.

See if you can find a Hymer 504 B Class or Exsisi. It will meet your needs but they are in short supply. It's an A-class with a similar layout to the 522 van although the full width cab will give you slightly more room inside.

However, whilst I have recently recommended someone to look at garage layouts for their bikes, if 6m is the limit for you, then an external bike rack may be worth considering unless you are always going to carry the bikes.

Rapido do a similar layout to the 504 but again they are limited in supply.

Cheaper to get a new white haired spaniel than change the seat covers - only joking.

Thank you both. Some other options I'd not come across before after hours on Google.

I appreciate the comments regarding using bike racks instead of the garage. However, as there is always the chance we may park up and have a wonder with the dog, we want the bikes out of sight due to their value.

The 6m length is the default set my the girlfriend, as she wouldn't like to drive anything bigger. Also for where we go with the bikes, I assumed it was a sensible length to allow access down country roads as well as using rebuttal parking bays.

MrNero50 - 2015-04-12 10:02 AM

The 6m length is the default set my the girlfriend, as she wouldn't like to drive anything bigger. Also for where we go with the bikes, I assumed it was a sensible length to allow access down country roads as well as using rebuttal parking bays.

Width is more important than length, our current van is 2.21 x 7.2m last van was 2.35 x 6.79m this one the longer one is much easier in tight situations I find it much easier to drive. Going for such a short van you really do restrict yourself with living space.

My opinions, for what it's worth.

It's your first van so you might not have a handle on the best use of a van.

IMO, for a compact van you need to get best use out of every inch, but a tall garage means a low ceiling over the bed, this often means you can't sit upright in bed so makes the bed only suitable for sleeping, for us this is a big no no as it only leaves the dinette for lounging.

Our 6.36m Campscout (there is a simiilar 6m Globecar availible this year) has a garage big enough to take at least two bikes, you might get away with them complete, if not take out the front wheel (thats what we have done before now) you then get a bed which is suitable to lounge about in, in fact we have the main tv there.

we have plenty of other storage for our needs in the van so most of the time the garage would have room for bikes, but you may well find some transverse beds like the Adria Twin also have room for bikes, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

My Hymer 504 is 6m long and 2.35m wide. It's enough for two of us for three weeks away [we haven't tried longer yet]. The Exsis is narrower as Lenny says.

Has your girlfriend sat in the driving seat of a motorhome and adjusted the mirrors for her own convenience?Visibility in many motorhomes is so much better than cars thanks to the large wing mirrors. If she has, and is still not comfortable with going longer, then I presume better to stay short and accept the compromises you are going to have to make. I doubt she'll like driving an a-class as my missus doesn't; it's the expanse in front of the driver that is off-putting.

There are motorhome driving courses available that help boost confidence. The Caravan & Camping Club is £105 but you have to be a member and the more comprehensive Caravan Club one is £155 [non members allowed].

If you are motorhoming and not using full sites with shower blocks, make sure you can have a comfortable shower in whatever you buy!

If you like the Hymer 522 layout and think it will work for you, then its' a question of finding the right van whether Hymer, Hobby or Knaus. You may find a few 6m coachbuilts with a luton over the cab but garage space in these may be limited.

You could also consider panel van conversions [PVC} where the bikes can be stored between the rear beds but winterisation on these are not as good as coachbuilts [but getting better].

What's a rebuttal parking bay?

Brock - 2015-04-12 2:57 PM

My Hymer 504 is 6m long and 2.35m wide. It's enough for two of us for three weeks away [we haven't tried longer yet]. The Exsis is narrower as Lenny sa

Has your girlfriend sat in the driving seat of a motorhome and adjusted the mirrors for her own convenience?Visibility in many motorhomes is so much better than cars thanks to the large wing mirrors. If she has, and is still not comfortable with going longer, then I presume better to stay short and accept the compromises you are going to have to make. I doubt she'll like driving an a-class as my missus doesn't; it's the expanse in front of the driver that is off-putting.

There are motorhome driving courses available that help boost confidence. The Caravan & Camping Club is £105 but you have to be a member and the more comprehensive Caravan Club one is £155 [non members allowed].

If you are motorhoming and not using full sites with shower blocks, make sure you can have a comfortable shower in whatever you buy!

If you like the Hymer 522 layout and think it will work for you, then its' a question of finding the right van whether Hymer, Hobby or Knaus. You may find a few 6m coachbuilts with a luton over the cab but garage space in these may be limited.

You could also consider panel van conversions [PVC} where the bikes can be stored between the rear beds but winterisation on these are not as good as coachbuilts [but getting better].

What's a rebuttal parking bay?

Good info regarding the driver courses its something to consider.

Spot on about the A class we've just been to Lowdons in Huddersfield and sat in one. The exact phrase from the girlfriend was "not sure about there not being a bonnet and the windscreen being so far away".

Rebuttal - that's spell check going mad and me not reviewing my posts! Think I meant standard!!

MrNero50 - 2015-04-12 3:43 PM

Spot on about the A class we've just been to Lowdons in Huddersfield and sat in one. The exact phrase from the girlfriend was "not sure about there not being a bonnet and the windscreen being so far away".

Fiat based Hymer's the dash is quite short once you start driving it you don't notice it, Mec ones though are really long.

With the Chausson 610, the garage is made for cycles, we have 2 electric and as previously stated it takes loads of kit too.

Also having 3 doors makes it easy to load and makes fixing the straps easy. Drop down bed is comfy and with the welcome it looks good too.

How long would you expect to be away at a time? A 6 metre van with the layout you describe, tends to place quite large demands for storage on that rear garage. If the garage is housing two full sized mountain bikes with nothing removed from them, the space available for general storage will be restricted. If travelling for longer periods you may find this inconvenient. If travelling for a month or less, probably OK. Be aware that in all cases there is only one full sized garage door, with a smaller door (or no door) the opposite side. I think all offered two full sized doors as an option, but few owners seem to have taken advantage of this. A van with two full sized garage doors would probably be an advantage with the bikes.

Had Enough's Hobby Van is one of a number of similar layout vans from Knaus (Van), Dethleffs (Globebus models), Hymer (Van), Adria (Compact) and Burstner (Travel Van). They all have fairly long rear overhangs which, if the garage is well loaded, can sesult in some traction problems. (We had a Hobby Van, and I wouldn't have wanted to try hill starts on a snowy road when fully laden!) But if you can keep the rear light, and still have adequate general storage, I think any of them would be fine.

From memory, the only two makes that provide steps up to the bed are Knaus and Adria, all the others supply a removeable ladder.

Also from memory, the Knaus Van is the only one that brings the kitchen block forward, which has the advantage of making the dining table available as additional workspace, but somewhat compromises the front dinette as a general sitting space and, depending on your leg length, may restrict rear movement of the driver's seat (if RHD).

I think all are 2,150mm wide or less, so generally easier to manoeuvre, and better adapted to "tight" spaces than their fatter cousins.

Brian Kirby - 2015-04-12 6:18 PM

How long would you expect to be away at a time? A 6 metre van with the layout you describe, tends to place quite large demands for storage on that rear garage. If the garage is housing two full sized mountain bikes with nothing removed from them, the space available for general storage will be restricted. If travelling for longer periods you may find this inconvenient. If travelling for a month or less, probably OK. Be aware that in all cases there is only one full sized garage door, with a smaller door (or no door) the opposite side. I think all offered two full sized doors as an option, but few owners seem to have taken advantage of this. A van with two full sized garage doors would probably be an advantage with the bikes.

Currently as we both work full time, we cannot envisage needing to use the van for much more than 2 weeks at any one time. We'd already assumed the way to go would be to remove the front wheels as we do this now to get the bikes in the car.

Of the ones mentioned we've still yet to look at a Hobby, Burnster and Adria. Found a Bailey Compact 520 on the web search today, so that's another option, if we can find one.

Thanks everyone, it's given us some food for thought.

Archived