Compressor fridge.

monique.hubrechtsgm

As you may be aware i did a radical downsize. Now Westfalia kepler one on Vw T6. In it is a compressor fridge make Vitrifrigo C51.1 OCN. 51 ltr. The opening hinge is on the right side when facing the door .The interior led light comes on in every mode when door is open. Unable to find a ventilation stand of the door when that led light is off. And fridge in off stand knob led is always on. Any similar users of it , and the logic of the led light welcome.

I don't have a Vitrifrigo fridge, but do have an Isotherm compressor fridge which appears very similar. It has a ventilation standby mode which is selected by sliding the catch plate across the top of the door, causing it to be retained slightly ajar. it also has an internal lamp which illuminates whenever the door is not fully closed.

However, my fridge is wired with an isolation switch between the fridge and distribution unit, so that it can be disconnected from the 12v supply when not in use. Obviously in this mode, the internal cabinet light no longer illuminates.

I haven't been able to find an online installation guide for the Vitrifrigo C51i, but this link shows a diagram suggesting that an isolation switch should also be fitted between the battery or power source and the fridge, which in any case ought to be good practice.

https://www.vitrifrigofridges.co.uk/installation.htm

If you haven't got an isolation switch Monique, I would be asking the converter why not. If there is no switch, it should at least be independently fused. Did you not receive a copy of the installation and operation manual with your van? I was supplied with the original documents for virtually every item fitted in my van by the converter when I bought it.

I used a rented PVC for our several trips to New Zealand.

Compressor fridges were fitted to all of those vehicles.

The fridge was supplied by an individual circuit breaker on the 12V distribution board, which was not hidden in a cupboard. This reinforces Deneb's suggestion of an isolation switch.

Alan

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-12-01 5:19 PM

Thank you. will sort it out. Ventilation position of the door. but no sliding latch seen as by other models. The interior led light. My dealer will look at it. They sold four of the same fridge, so they must be aware of it by other customers. Will inform about the outcome.

Are you unable to find the sliding latch? So was I, with my fridge (same model). I contacted the seller (Penguinfrigo), and they said it was just very stiff. If you look at the photo herewith, it's the black knob alongside the silver slide. (Hope the photo loads).

I took a thin piece of trim-wood, placed it between the brass screw thread and the black knob, and gave the other end of the wood it a sharp tap with a hammer - and the black knob slid across the silver slide. Then, just clip the hole in the door latch over the knob. And I used a little grease, to make it easier next time.

Hope that helps.

1361276733_Fridgelatch.jpg.96595578910e0186b687331854025e2b.jpg

No, the door can be set to open from either side - ours was delivered hinged from the left, but we had it changed to the right. So there should be no difference in how the latch operates - there should be one on either side.

And we also have an isolation switch, so there is no light unless the fridge is switched on, and open.

As Deneb said above, the installation guide for Vitrifrigo compressor fridges (link repeated below)

https://www.vitrifrigofridges.co.uk/installation.htm

clearly shows an isolation switch (numbered “2” in the diagrams) as part of the electrical circuitry.

As it’s so obvious that, should no isolation switch be fitted, a Vitrifrigo compressor fridge would receive power continuously and, when its door was in the ‘vent position’, that the interior light would be on constantly, it’s very difficult to believe that a motorhome converter choosing to install these appliances might fail to fit some easy means to turn the appliance off. This might involve a switch specifically to turn the fridge on or off, or just a switch on the motorhome’s main control-panel that turns 12V power on or off to other things (eg. lights) as well as the fridge.

The converter of the van is rapido-fleurette in France. fleurette stands for a flower blossom. They(rapido) bought for a penny bankrupt famous westfalia from the administrator.Their logo shows 3 generations. Not to confuse whit the other six letter rapido. At present my kepler one was built there. See fleurette you tube 50 years. On assembly but not my fridge.My dealer said the only we are aware off to put the light- led of the fridge- OFF, is to is the red main off in in the nice main electric central box. Push in the red main knob turn quarter off anti clock and release. That means black out. Deneb is this the way?

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-12-03 5:29 PM

YES.

Does that mean that you have solved the ‘problem’ and in order to turn off your fridge’s interior light when the door is open all you need do is use the fridge’s thermostat control?

The wiring diagram here

http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/assets/assets/Vitrifrigo%20Ocean%20Fridges%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

suggests that, unless an isolation switch is fitted by the installer, an LED light will remain illuminated as long as power is being provided to the fridge.

There’s a Westfalia Kepler video-clip here

https://www.campersales.co.uk/for-sale/197/#video

but I don’t think "the nice main electric central box” is shown.

I think the key to it is “the click!”, otherwise it will still be “on”.

When laying the van up, having emptied the fridge, turn thermostat to lowest number, and beyond, I.e “the click” and door light will not operate. Power will be off.

Snowie

I saw circuits Deneb uploaded which have a independent isolation switch. Any picture of it where it is located? I have not. Only the red black out knob. Asked the converter WF about this, in case the french tricolors Thanks made a cable wiring fault. To add this now as built is not easy, to get behind the fridge to loop up the cable.Ventilation stand cleared out. When door closed the led light is off by a reed contact. Hopefully.

Monique, my fridge is connected to a fused supply in the electrical distribution unit (the large silver box to the left in the attached photo). There is a switch inline with the supply, between the distribution unit and the fridge, which removes all power from the fridge when it is off. Switching off the rotary thermostat inside the fridge itself cuts out the compressor, but the interior light still switches on when the door is opened unless the fridge is isolated from its supply at the inline switch. The switch is circled in red in the photo. This is not a photo of my van, but is a similar model.

Wardrobe.JPG.0f79f82f10210081a1bf92399d6638d8.JPG

Monique

You might also ask Andrew Bromley (forum user-name “brom” who posted twice above) where and how the isolation switch is fitted in his motorhome. His vehicle was converted to his own specification by the UK company “Nu-Venture” (rather than being a Westfalia like yours)

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/nu-venture-quart.9490/

but it is built on a VW T6 and it does have the same Vitrifrigo C51i fridge as your motorhome has.

The Vitrifrigo installation guides indicate that it is the responsibility of the motorhome converter to decide whether or not to fit an 'isolation switch’ and (if the converter chooses to fit a switch) it will be up to the converter how and where to include that switch in the motorhome’s wiriing.

As your Kepler has a red master switch to disconnect the leisure-battery from all the 12V services (lights fridge, etc.) perhaps Westfalia considers that the red switch will adequately provide the isolation function needed to prevent the fridge’s LEDs from illuminating when its door is in the ventilation position.

Derek. I was on the same thinking about this. But liked a confirm by the converter. the manual was in french, also spoken in belgium. A dutch translation is unable to find. looking for a English. Their nord electronica from italy panel is very sensitive when nearby the buttons, like a I-phone. In this case when not in use you can trigger unwanted start ups like the water pump when the tank is empty. Maybe the red master is not a bad idea at all. Yes I registered on the T6 forum, by 1920 t7 .Thanks a lot .PS the toilet does not have a separate pump.

snowie - 2018-12-03 5:22 PM

We have a Waeco compressor fridge, no isolation switch, but power is turned off when we turn off at the thermostat, isn’t that the way it’s done on all fridges?

Regards, Snowie

I have a Webasto drawer compressor fridge, it had no independant means of isolation of the 12v power feed and no independant fuse protection. Only way to turn off power was via the 12v supply switch to all 12v items in the van, same for the fuse,

I found this very unsatisfactory, so added a fused and illuminated supply switch to the trim panel.

It needed extra cooling vents for the compressor motor, and a thicker gauge power supply cable, as those fitted were not up to Webasto's specification. This is a Main UK Manufacturer ! Who shall be nameless.

Rayjsj - 2018-12-06 10:42 PM

...This is a Main UK Manufacturer ! Who shall be nameless.

Hardly “nameless” given that you’ve provided details of your motorhome to the left of your posting. ;-)

The following link is to a guide for Isotherm INOX fridges (that I think are similar to the fridge in your motorhome)

http://www.isotherm-parts.com/PDF/manuals/dr49_65_inox.pdf

Unlike the guide for the Vitrifrigo compressor fridge that’s fitted to Monique’s Westfalia motorhome, the Isotherm wiring diagram gives no indication that a separate isolation switch might be installed in an Isotherm fridge’s 12V power-supply.

Mention is made that the manually-operated thermostat control-knob inside the fridge has an integrated On/Off switch and one might reasonably expect that turning the knob to its Off position would also turn off the fridge’s LED interior light (though it’s not clear whether this is actually the case). Even if the thermostat knob’s Off position does turn off the LED light, having a separate isolation switch in the fridge’s power-supply has the potential advantage of allowing the fridge’s thermostat knob to remain On in a preset position.

The electrical connentions/wiring instructions are

4.3 Electrical connections/wiring

When connecting the refrigerator electrically, it is important that following points are considered: Always use cables of sufficient area. The area in the following table should be regarded as a minimum.

* Always connect the refrigerator directly to the battery or to the battery main switch on the plus circuit. Do not connect it via the boats own control panel or other diversions as this can cause a voltage drop in the power supply. Use the included fuse holder with a 15A fuse. Use 7.5A fuse in a 24 volt system. The fuse shall be mounted on the plus cable.

* Connect the red cable to the positive (+) terminal and the black to the negative (-) terminal. Use tab type terminals for the connection to the electronic unit and other cable connectors of sufficient size for the cable size selected.

* Do not connect the refrigerator direct to a battery charger. The battery charger must be connected to the battery.

Obviously I don’t know what dimension of wiring Auto-Trail used when installing your fridge, but there’s no doubt that its power-supply cable should carry a 15A fuse.

Derek,

I agree, which is why I added a 15amp fuse and switch into the supply feed, by the way the 5 led lights are alight all the time the door is open, whether the thermostat is switched on or off, Difficult if you want to leave the door open to stop mould forming.

Some of the early models (mine included) didnt have sufficient airflow over the compressor, which resulted in it running hot and drawing more precious battery power. I followed the installation manual and added a further vent at the back of an adjacent cupboard, which gives through ventilation........all to get longer fridge working time off of EHU. and more independance.

My conclusion is that the Webasto Isotherm drawer fridge works well....but it does nothing that a good 3 way Dometic or Thetford couldnt do better....on gas.

i am half way on this.Today i find out that this kind of fridges can have voltage problems in the as built cables from the supply source. There are more copper cable on the market to fit their connections. Whit larger in line fuses than the connecting box. And even a switch illuminated. For Waeco whit a switch but for vitrifrigo not. Have a look at Magnum motor homes whit excellent pictures of my fridge in question.I have no interest to loop a 3mtr loom now.

Archived