Compressor fridge

bikey

Hi all

Will be buying a new pvc this year, the van I’m interested in has a compressor fridge, I have no knowledge of compressor fridges re electric consumption and noise.

It will either have a 90litre or a 140litre fridge

I will have 2 100watt solar panels and 2 100amp agm batteries

Will this give me enough battery power, what is the current draw of these fridges

Thanks

Our compressor coolbox takes 2 to 3 amps depending on internal temperature.

You'll probably have enough solar and battery there for summer but not winter.

We've got a 150w panel and it was plenty for the coolbox in Benidorm in October. But there's so many variables.

bikey - 2021-09-08 7:15 PM

Hi all

Will be buying a new pvc this year, the van I’m interested in has a compressor fridge, I have no knowledge of compressor fridges re electric consumption and noise.

It will either have a 90litre or a 140litre fridge

I will have 2 100watt solar panels and 2 100amp agm batteries

Will this give me enough battery power, what is the current draw of these fridges

Thanks

If you find out whose fridge will come with the van, you can get approximate current consumption figures over time from its manufacturer. Actual consumption will depend on ambient temperatures, the quality of the installation - and how many times you open the door! The problem is that compressor fridges have only one power source so, unless you spend at least some time on camp sites with EHU, you have only battery power to feed it, and batteries - however charged - are a diminishing (plus heavy and costly) resource.

Me, I'd be looking for a van that offers the (usually cost) option of a three way fridge in lieu of compressor. On noise, during daytime it will be pretty well unnoticeable, but at night, when all is quiet, the closer the fridge to the head end of the bed, the greater the chance you'll be aware of it.

I once asked the same question on this forum and got one answer that "they" never heard the fridge at night as "her" husband slept on that side of the bed - and he was deaf! So, is either of you deaf? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2021-09-09 8:41 AM

Me, I'd be looking for a van that offers the (usually cost) option of a three way fridge in lieu of compressor. On noise, during daytime it will be pretty well unnoticeable, but at night, when all is quiet, the closer the fridge to the head end of the bed, the greater the chance you'll be aware of it.

:-D

I agree.

Having had an Autocruise Rhythm about 10 years ago with a compressor fridge (Waeco?) we vowed to never have another. We fancied a Fifer - just down the road from us - but the fridge was a deal breaker. Couldn't do a 3 way fridge.

Noise - we ended up shutting it off when we went to bed. I do know some members on the now defunct Swiftalk forum replaced the fan with super-silent ones which was a big improvement.

Power consumption - can't recall the average consumption but we sometimes had to move on as batteries were getting low. We had 80W of solar on the roof. On hook up - no issue of course.

This was our only experience with a compressor fridge. Maybe its a marmite thing - some love them

Our Adria Twin SPX has a compressor fridge. In the two years that we’ve owned it, neither my wife or I have been disturbed by the fridge and we are not heavy sleepers.

We are cognisant of the fridge’s drain on our 12v supply. My wife adjusts the fridge to its minimum safe setting, to date we have had no problems. If we are becoming concerned at the state of our battery then we have occasionally switched the fridge off overnight, with no ill effect on its contents. We are sometimes off-grid for up to a week at a time. E.g. this weekend we shall be at the Shepton Mallet show for four days.

I’m looking to upgrade our battery and solar panel set-up in the near future but this is as much to maintain the heater fan as the fridge. Your 12v set up is very much more robust than ours.

In all I would not be concerned about having a compressor fridge.

Cattwg :-D

But, the 640SPX layout places the toilet compartment between the bed and the fridge, so any fridge noise would be attenuated. Many conversions (especially those on the 6.0 metre vans) place the fridge adjacent to the bed, often raised to improve access from the (narrow) passage between the washroom and the fridge itself. In these cases the fridge is at around head level of anyone lying on the bed, and not infrequently is also at the head end of the bed. So, buyer beware - as not all van layouts are the same! :-D

You need to do your own research on this one to supplement the comments you will receive. People with compressor fridges love them (they actually work in hot weather and are easy to use) those who don't have them are wary of them, bit like switching from a diesel car with 600 mile range to an electric car with 200 mile range. I have had both and for my travel style, never stay anywhere longer than 2 days, the compressor fridge is perfect. If I was planning on spending long periods stationary and off grid during the autumn and winter then I would suggest a gas powered fridge is the only viable alternative unless you have an adventure style power set up eg 100's of watts of solar and multiple leisure batteries.

Archived