Conflicting guidance

Deesider

I numerous posts on this site we are advised against starting our engines for a short time or going on short trips as it could damage the particulate filter.

In the C&MC June issue, page 76, the Club's Technical team advise "Start the engine every few weeks. Move backwards and forwards a little to flex the tyres ......."

Is the choice - damage the particulate filter or damage the tyres. Which would be most expensive to replace, the p.f. or four tyres?

I'm pretty sure a DPF will cost a lot more than a set of tyres. I've also read that even if flat spots do develop they generally disappear after a few miles (I can't remember the source and have no idea whether that is right). I guess the real question - which I can't answer - is which is more likely, knackered tyres if you don't move it or knackered DPF if you do.

Deesider - 2020-06-06 4:25 PM

I numerous posts on this site we are advised against starting our engines for a short time or going on short trips as it could damage the particulate filter.

In the C&MC June issue, page 76, the Club's Technical team advise "Start the engine every few weeks. Move backwards and forwards a little to flex the tyres ......."

Is the choice - damage the particulate filter or damage the tyres. Which would be most expensive to replace, the p.f. or four tyres?

No, that is not the choice. The choice really, IMO, is either leave the van to stand (with tyres inflated to maximum recommended pressure all round), or take it for a run of about 30 miles or so, roughly monthly, so that the tyres get rotated, the engine, gearbox, and wheel hub lubricants all get warmed up and circulated, the rust knocked off the brake discs, and the DPF (and the exhaust generally) get hot. Apologies to the CMC's technical advisor, but I think they are flat wrong! :-D

These recent forum discussions should be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Running-without-driving/55075/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Covo-storage/54959/

Continental’s advice on tyre ‘flat-spotting’ is here

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/all-about-tyres/tyre-damages/flat-spotting

If a motorhome is to be moved periodically to guard against tyre flat-spotting, the likelihood is that the vehicle’s motor will need to be started to allow this to be done. I can’t see starting the motor (say once per month) and running it just long enough to move the vehicle a short distance to protect the tyres would harm the DPF. Certainly doing this doesn’t concern me...

(I suppose that, if one were really paranoid about potential DPF damage, the vehicle could be jacked up and each wheel rotated by hand, or jacked up and the vehicle supported so that no weight was being placed on the tyres - that way there woud be no need to start the motor.)

Archived