Connections to connect a Le Cube to your bulkhead regulator

kevandali

I posted this lot of drivel below in another post, just letting everyone know..... Don't Bother!!!

Its the wrong lead, one end fits my bulkhead regulator but the other end does not fit the adapter that fits on top of the Le Cube bottle...... any ideas what I need?
(as an after note, I am going to take onboard all the advice and get it all checked out correctly, don't want any explosions!!)

QUESTION:
I have an Elddis motorhome which I take to France regularly. I would like to be able to use French gas cylinders and believe that I need an adapter or suitable pigtail to be able to do this. Do you stock such items, please? 

ANSWER:
A popular cylinder in france is the 'Le Cube' and the adaptor for this is our part 135408 You can use your existing pigtail if you are currently operating on butane (blue gas bottle). If not then you will also need pigtail 119869.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/product_19869/pigtail_hose_for_butane._20inch_long.aspx

1128386800_Photoon25-06-2015at19_50.jpg.bc47fb7d3f86d2e19e6a690b4168bdc1.jpg

....difficult to tell without having the items in front of me, but AFAIK, if you've got what you detail, it should work.

The connection you can't make is (I think) a left-hand thread, however - are you sure you are attempting to connect in the appropriate direction? (i.e. anticlockwise).

Robinhood - 2015-06-25 9:04 PM....are you sure you are attempting to connect in the appropriate direction? (i.e. anticlockwise).

I am absolutely 100% positive that I was attempting to connect it in the clockwise direction...Dohhh!! :$ 

All working now, getting checked out on Saturday as the van is going in for something else, not related.

kevandali - 2015-06-25 8:13 PM
I posted this lot of drivel below in another post, just letting everyone know..... Don't Bother!!!

Its the wrong lead, one end fits my bulkhead regulator but the other end does not fit the adapter that fits on top of the Le Cube bottle...... any ideas what I need?
(as an after note, I am going to take onboard all the advice and get it all checked out correctly, don't want any explosions!!)

QUESTION:
I have an Elddis motorhome which I take to France regularly. I would like to be able to use French gas cylinders and believe that I need an adapter or suitable pigtail to be able to do this. Do you stock such items, please? 

ANSWER:
A popular cylinder in france is the 'Le Cube' and the adaptor for this is our part 135408 You can use your existing pigtail if you are currently operating on butane (blue gas bottle). If not then you will also need pigtail 119869.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/product_19869/pigtail_hose_for_butane._20inch_long.aspx
Laymans question, what's a pighead?Which end of the above photo?

yoko8pups - 2015-06-25 10:48 PM.....................Laymans question, what's a pighead?

Which end of the above photo?

The word was pigtail, pighead is non-motorhoming related! :-D

It is the curved, flexible, black tube with brass screw connectors at each end sitting on the table.

yoko8pups

For motorhomes with a bulkhead-mounted regulator (rather than having the regulator attached directly to the gas-bottle) the two items shown in kevandali’s photo would be what were needed to install a UK “Gas Light” bottle.

The 27mm clip-on adapter shown centrally in the photo clips on to the gas-bottle (“Le Cube” or UK “Gas Light”) and the left end of the flexible gas-hose (‘pigtail’) in the photo - the end with the larger brass nut - screws anti-clockwise on to the adapter’s threaded outlet.

The other end of the gas-hose - in the photo the right-hand end with the smaller brass nut - screws clockwise on to the inlet of the bulkhead-mounted regulator.

Both end-fittings on the gas-hose have a sealing washer, so obtaining a gas-tight seal should be straightforward.

The final (February 2014) posting of the following discussion

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_printer_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=196984

claims that (for “Gas Light” bottles) “...the UK bottle fitting is NOT compatible with any other country in Europe.” That’s certainly not true as the French “Le Cube” container has the same 27mm clip-on bottle-fitting, but it raises the possibility that the outlet of your Portugal-marketed “Gas Light” bottles differs from that fitted to UK-marketed “Gas Light” containers and to “Le Cube”.

I’m very doubtful that anyone on a UK motorhome forum can tell you for certain (sight unseen) whether your “Gas Light” bottles are identical to those marketed in the UK. As you have Portugese “Gas Light” bottles and there are plenty of on-line photos of UK-variety “Gas Light” bottles showing their outlet-type, you should be in a position to make at least a well-educated guess at whether UK and Portugese “Gas Light” bottles are the same. The ball’s in your court over this...

(I’m not sure if you have plans to exchange your “Gas Light” bottles in the UK, but if your bottles have a different connector to the one used on UK “Gas Light” containers, exchange will probably not be practicable. Similarly, if your bottles contain butane, rather than the UK bottles’ propane, this might also present bottle-exchanging problems.)

Derek Uzzell - 2015-06-26 8:51 AM................The other end of the gas-hose - in the photo the right-hand end with the smaller brass nut - screws clockwise on to the inlet of the bulkhead-mounted regulator.

Both end-fittings on the gas-hose have a sealing washer, so obtaining a gas-tight seal should be straightforward.........................

Just to add, regarding the sealing washers, that it is inadvisable to over tighten these connectors. The tool usually supplied is a plastic spanner, which directly limits the force that can be applied - because if you overdo it, it breaks! Finger tight to start, and then about one more flat, should do it. It it is attacked with a "proper" spanner, and then given "one for luck", it is possible to cut, or split, the washer which is neoprene or similar synthetic rubber, and usually provides a fully gastight connection if tightened as described above. If it then lets by a bit, one more flat should suffice. If it still lets by, don't tighten it any more, but take it off and examine the washer and both seatings for dirt, scratches, or cracks. The washers are obtainable separately from most caravan/motorhome accessories shops. If in doubt, fit a new one. Usually cures all ills.

My Rapido motorhome came with a small plastic bag holding mysterious bits that included a 5”-long plastic spanner. One end of the spanner fits the W20 nut that’s used to attach a gas ‘pigtail’ to a bulkhead-mounted regulator. The spanner’s other end fits the knurled nut that’s commonplace on French pigtails to attach the hose to a French gas-bottle (example here)

http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/gaz/lyre-joint/lyre-haute-pression-35-cm-illimitee.html

but won’t fit the larger 30mm ‘butane nut’ that’s the norm for UK butane hoses

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_20__Propane_Butane_Gas_Pigtail_Butane_Nut_x_W20.html?gclid=CPa6xq6nr8YCFcfnwgod2zoJWQ

and as fitted to the pigtail in kevandali’s photo.

Although plastic spanners are widely marketed in France (and by Truma), a metal spanner is more usual in the UK.

This may amuse

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog/29522-a-gas-spanner-is-ruining-your-holiday

The spanner recommended (black with a kink in the shaft) may well be the one marketed by Calor

http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/calor-essentials/essentials-heavy-duty-spanner.html

that carries advice on checking the condition of the washer.

It’s perhaps worth adding that, while a plastic spanner may be OK for tightening gas-hose end-fittings that have sealing washers, a strong metal spanner will be much more suitable for tightening the nut used with the POL fitting of the standard UK propane hose where the joint is metal-to-metal.

• 2 months later...

Did you sort this out ?.I have used a Le Cube for the last 3 years and found them cheaper to use than Calor lite while in France in fact we are down in Millau as I send this.When we got the first Le Cube it came with a regulator that I keep attached to the pigtail that takes seconds to re attach to our Auto Trail.Have a pigtail that I use on the call bottles as well.Have fun.

B-)

I don’t think there was anything to sort out other than appeciating that one of the connections was left-hand-threaded.

As was mentioned in this earlier discussion

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Warning-Gas/38630/#M465819

it’s quite common for a free ‘on bottle' regulator to be provided with a Le Cube bottle, but this regulator should not be used when the motorhome has a bulkhead-mounted regulator.

Archived