Container Shipping

Guest MandC

Guest Nick Miller
Whilst i might be able to help with routes the specifics of securing a motorhome in a container would be a technical undertaking upon which i would not want to advise. Most of the world is now serviced by roll on roll off tonnage.So, if i can help, firstly we need to know where we are going and to learn if we really need a container. N

Not yet fixed the plan, depends on ease of shippping the van, and Visa's etc. We are looking at either USA or Oz, for extended stays, starting out probably Jan 2007.

Hi we have relations in NZ and Canada When we asked about going there we were told by both families That the cost of shipping a motorhome over would be more expensive than hiring Dont know about Canada but for NZ the cost of hire is about 75NZ$ (approx £30) per day Depending on size of MH Time of year etc They go to Auz & hire there Another consideration for NZ & Auz are to entry regulations Motor vehicles have to be STEAM CLEANED to enter either country to prevent Sheep & cattle diseases being taken in Let us know how you get on

i've no experience of this, but have heard of people finding the easiest and cheapest option being to buy a cheapie m/home out there, and sell it after you've finished. The plus's are you dont have to be too specific about the length of time you travel,the resale value of a cheapish vehicle shouldnt be as great as the hire cost and insurance shouldnt be too expensive. the downside is that for most of us we would probably need to sell our home vehicle to finance it (but no storage or insurance costs required)!! Just a thought. I havent actually costed it!!! good luck and enjoy your trip.wish i was coming!! KeithR

Guest Nick Miller
Think Pete and Keith have the way to go but as i promised some shipping companies..Roll On/Roll Off but a little larger than Dover/Calais ferries Firstly Northy America ACL www.ACLcargo.com 01514728181 Autralia Hoegh Autoliners www.hoegh.com 01268456400 Wallenius Wilhelmsen www.2wglobal.com 02380237711 With motorhome dimensions and weight they should be able to give you a rate.Make sure you get a roundtrip figure. Until my ISP dumped all my 'favourites' i used to have Barry & Margaret Williamson's site address.This would have been full of useful information for you.Anyone remember it?? Good luck N

As a first-timer to this site, it has been a great place to pick up tips. Many thanks for the replies - I'm chuffed to beans to find friendly helpful people willing to give up their time to help out others where they can. I'm hooked - you won't get me off here now...

Archived