Contents and weights

Guest Patrick

Guest Patrick
I am interested in buying a Compass 100 with its payload allowance of 450 kgs. and I am trying to calculate whether it would be big enough. Can anybody give me any idea of things one would normally take with one and what they would weigh. e.g. chairs, table, awning. Water capacity is 63 ltres & waste water 72. I know this is personal choice but it would help in case we miss anything out on our list. Does it mean that if we take the bikes we have to leave the clothes behind and stay in a nudist camp?

Guest David Powell
Spend many enjoyable hours at home with bathroom scales, a marker pen, and a check list. 1 Ltr water = 1 Kg. The weight of food in tin cans & booze will give you a bit of a shock. Pack all the clothes you need in a case to weigh, like you do before a flight, plus wellies of course. Chairs vary, buy a tripod base for your 'van table legs, don't carry an extra one. It goes on & on, but hows that for starters? Have fun!

Guest Rowan Lee
Doesn't sound much. I'm not an expert, but we are going through the same process having already bought the 'van. My husband weighs 100kg (yes, he's overweight) and I weigh 65kg, so that would already be a canny chunk out of your allowance. We recently took our 'van to the weighbridge. We put all the gear in the rear garage (awning, hook up cable, table and chairs, etc.), two full gas bottles and two leisure batteries, a full tank of diesel and a driver but not a lot else, and we were already on our gross vehicle weight of 3500kg. I was in the weighbridge office, but had I too been in the van, we would have been overweight. I have had a huge amount of help from Mel Eastburn's articles in MMM "It ain't heavy, it's my motorhome" August 2004, September 2004 and December 2004. Good luck!

Guest Derek Uzzell
I suspect that the Compass Avantgarde 100's 'in running order' weight comprises the weight of the basic motorhome with a full fuel-tank and a 75kg driver. So your 450kg payload will need to take into account the weight of water (fresh and in any toilet reservoir), gas containers, passengers, luggage and any accessories. A rough guide for luggage is to allow 10kg for each person (including the driver), plus 10kg for every metre (or part metre) of the motorhome's length. 450kg sounds a lot, but it can soon erode, particularly if you develop the habit of bringing back booze from abroad! If you'd like to contact me on derek.uzzell@talk21.com I'll e-mail you a free copy of my buyer's guide document that includes a section on motorhome weight calculation.

Guest Mike C
Hello Patrick, These were the weights of my 2004 Compass Avantgarde 100 with the 2.0HDI. The stated payload was 479 kgs the maximum weight 2900 kgs and the on the road weight of 2421 kgs. With few accessories (Seat Swivel, Heki, Flyscreen, Status Aerial)and 85 ah Battery, 2 x 6kg Propane cylinders, cables and hoses and a full tank of fuel but no driver or passenger, the weighbridge weight of mine was 2522 kgs leaving 378 kgs for everything else. Kay and I weigh 155 kgs (not each). The weight of all our equipment including tools, crockery, cutlery, some food, clothes, double alloy caravan step and a light weight wheelchair for a 10 day holiday was 146 kgs. The total again confirmed by weighbridge was 2823 kgs leaving 77 kgs to spare for awnings bikes etc. This did not include any tank water and we travel light so there was not much spare capacity. Looking at our figures, calculated by weighing everything, Derek's formula is pretty accurate. Personally if I needed to carry things like bikes, awning etc., and two other passengers and needed the full oven I would now go for the similar layout Avantgarde 300 MWB Chassis and the 667 kg payload. Hope this has been of some help. Regards, Mike C.

Archived