Continental oven question

DonnaD

Hi everyone!

Just a quick question. Hubby and I spent the day last week going to 2 motorhome dealers and having a nose around all the different makes and models (I had SO much fun!)

Some of the vans I looked at are near perfect for what I'm after with the layout, storage, garage size etc, the only downside for me is that they feature the tiny continental style ovens.

What I want to know is, is it viably possible to remove that and the unit housing and replacing it with a full size oven and grill?

I plan on doing as much cooking as possible rather than takeaways or meals out, and can't see how I'd manage with such a small oven if I was to go with and keep the smaller oven style.

Thanks in advance

We had a Rapido and a Laika which didn't have ovens, we used a Cobb BBQ/Oven then I bought a Remoska second hand and found I was able to cook most things in the Remoska. Obviously these are electric and most motorhome ovens are gas but most people say that they rarely use their ovens and a lot of people only use them for storage.

Suggest you go back and ask the dealers. Will depend on what is already fitted and what other cupboards/drawers are adjacent to it. We had the Thetford grill changed for the same brand oven with grill when bought our (French) Chausson van, easily done. (Grill for sale if anyone interested........)

DonnaD - 2019-11-24 11:16 AM

Hi everyone!

Just a quick question. Hubby and I spent the day last week going to 2 motorhome dealers and having a nose around all the different makes and models (I had SO much fun!)

Some of the vans I looked at are near perfect for what I'm after with the layout, storage, garage size etc, the only downside for me is that they feature the tiny continental style ovens.

What I want to know is, is it viably possible to remove that and the unit housing and replacing it with a full size oven and grill?

I plan on doing as much cooking as possible rather than takeaways or meals out, and can't see how I'd manage with such a small oven if I was to go with and keep the smaller oven style.

Thanks in advance

Which vans have you decided have the layout options you like?

If you're buying new, it may be possible to order a van with the oven you want as an option. If not it will be a case, as you seem to be accepting, of trying to change the fitted oven. This may not be easy, as what you want may not fit in the place provided, and, depending on were the gas (and possibly electrical) supplies are routed, considerable complication (and so cost) may arise. Don't forget that coachbuilt vans are build from the inside out, so that such supplies tend to be routed and connected before the external walls are installed, when access is easy.

Depending on how much of your time away you intend to spend cooking and clearing up afterwards, might you be able to change your cooking style to eliminate the use of an oven? We only ever had one, which came (as an optional extra) with a dealers stock van, and was only ever used for (inefficient) storage. I even considered getting it removed and replaced with the standard cupboards! We use only a hob, and make extensive use of a lidded skillet, which will cook anything that requires a little top heat.

Thanks in advance

Maybe you need to consider what you need to cook, on a large van with plenty of space and payload a full size oven and grill might be nice to have for some, we predominantly cook in the van and have never had a full size oven and grill.

Aside from that, as above without knowing the vans you have looked at nobody can tell how easy it might be to fit a full size oven and grill.

Donna

An under-worktop oven that goes right down to the floor is commonly fitted to UK-built motorcaravans, but I’m not aware off-hand of any Continental-European-built motorhomes that have a ‘full depth' oven as standard or as an option (though large expensive ‘bespoke’ designs may have one).

It’s usually possible for Continental-European-built motorhomes marketed in the UK to have a gas oven as standard, or to be able to choose a gas oven as an option, but such ovens tend to be relatively small capacity and are often located in a less than ideal position (eg. close to the ceiling). The photo attached below shows the kitchen area of a Italian-made 2019 Rollerteam T-Line 590 and this is probably as good as you can expect oven-wise with a non-UK-built motorhome..

If a full-depth gas oven is one of your ‘can’t do without it’ criteria, then choose a motorhome that has that type of oven to begin with - which probaly means a UK-built model. Retrofitting a full depth oven might be practicable with some motorhome designs, but it’s definitely something to avoid doing if at all possible.

2019-rollerteam-t-line-590.jpg.06a583c427aea40f7214eccac7c15a3f.jpg

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I'll have to rethink my plans then.

I saw about 3 or 4 Motorhomes that I liked but at present can't remember which ones (I have photos on my computer which will help my memory)

Thanks again

Hi,

It all depends, if you tend to tour a lot lets say in warmer climes then you can see Brian's point and many have followed that route, also take note the excellent heads up from Derek .

Still if you are going to tour just around home it is understandable and very difficult to get away cooking inside, but many do.

"different strokes for different folks"

It's your personal choice so go for it.

Wishing you many miles of safe travel and adventure in your new purchase.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-11-24 2:08 PM

An under-worktop oven that goes right down to the floor is commonly fitted to UK-built motorcaravans, but I’m not aware off-hand of any Continental-European-built motorhomes that have a ‘full depth' oven as standard or as an option (though large expensive ‘bespoke’ designs may have one).

Hymer have made a point of offering a "full size" Thetford cooker in a large selection of their models for a few years now.

It is more often than not specified for "stock" vehicles for the UK market.

Hymer brochure picture as below.

https://www.hymer.com/hymer/produktbilder/2020_01/produktbilder/sonderausstattungen/image-thumb__5225__teaser-image-three-column-hymer/1311_hymer_herd_backofenkombination.jpeg

I have a similar fitment in my 'van, though it is an "Aspire" unit with an electric hotplate and three burners..

My impression is that an increasing number of continental converters are providing a factory option for a decent(ish)-sized oven (of the ilk of the Roller-Team picture you posted), Dethleffs was the first brand I tried, and lo and behold, a straightforward option for the UK market.

We occasionally use an oven in our Rapido for some home frozen or ready meals.

Works ok, but;

You need the eyes of a hawk to watch that items do not burn. The control is a gas flow control ( like a hob burner) not a regulator maintaining temperature.

The oven is not well insulated, so we take the drawer out above it. Often forget, so have a mixture of cooking smells and warm wood and plastic.

Other forum members can advise if uk ovens have a regulator

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2019-11-24 5:29 PM

We occasionally use an oven in our Rapido for some home frozen or ready meals.

Works ok, but;

You need the eyes of a hawk to watch that items do not burn. The control is a gas flow control ( like a hob burner) not a regulator maintaining temperature.

The oven is not well insulated, so we take the drawer out above it. Often forget, so have a mixture of cooking smells and warm wood and plastic.

Other forum members can advise if uk ovens have a regulator

Rgds

That is what we discovered when we experimented with ours. Oven was, if I remember correctly, by SMAV. There was a slightly more expensive version with thermostatic temperature control, but you know motorhome converters - shovel on the bling, but only the cheapest bling! :-D

The small oven / grill is the only bit of our Carthago C148 that we would change but I'm not planning butchering the old girl for that . Remoska oven is the way forward , brilliant things , that and a Cadac BBQ . But I guess some folks don't want to cook when they're away in the MoHo so the fitted oven/grill would be OK in that case .

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-24 5:56 PM.................................….That is what we discovered when we experimented with ours. Oven was, if I remember correctly, by SMAV. There was a slightly more expensive version with thermostatic temperature control, but you know motorhome converters - shovel on the bling, but only the cheapest bling! :-D

Apologies if the above typo has caused any confusion, but "SMAV" should read "SMEV" (who are a subsidiary of Dometic).

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance

We have a Bailey with a full oven and grill . I absolutely love cooking and use ours a LOT ! I even carry a second Lakeland electric mini oven if a dish requires a double oven in the recipe . I refuse to make compromises on one of the greatest pleasures in life , eating excellent , tasty , nutritious and visually appealing food .

Im even thinking of stashing my sous vide in the van !

Archived