Control panel

KasKrn

Hi all,

The main control panel LCD on my late 2009 Mondial RL has stopped working, buttons seem to still function. Have been trying to identify unit model, type and manufacturer so ( can get a replacement. Tried Swift ;- still waiting....... Manuela etc don’t provide spec.

Any help much appreciated.

Photo should be attached.

(Photo now visible ;-) ;-) - Derek Uzzell)

3EE78CA3-1FC8-48D0-94CC-9E60D2A4D381.thumb.jpg.02e82fcf054afa251bb87bc56212cecb.jpg

This link is to the Apuljack Engineering website

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/index.html

I haven’t been able to identify the manufacturer of the control-panel shown in the photo above (though I don’t think it’s a Nordelettronica product).

Swift seems to have only used it as part of the electrical equipment fitted to 2008 model-year Mondai motorhomes and the panel’s operation is described on Pages 44-50 of the 2008 Owners Handbook.

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/047/original/2008_Mondial_Handbook.pdf?1472743494

A control-panel normally carries an indication of its manufacturer, but the panel in the photo does not. It might be useful if Kas&Krn could provide a photo of the panel the bottom of which shows at the top of the photo just in case that helps. Otherwise - as the panel seems to be part of a ‘system’ - there may be a manufacturer’s name on the 230V mains consumer-unit, 12V fuse-box or battery-charger that might provide a clue.

If the system was ‘bespoke’ and only fitted to Mondial models for a short while, it may prove impossible to obtain a replacement control-panel if its manufacturer is no longer trading.

While waiting for Swift to respond, it might be worth asking about this on the Swift Talk forum

https://www.swift-talk.co.uk/

It certainly looks like Sargent but I can't find anything that matches.

Have you removed the control panel to look for markings? If not then remove the trim by pulling the centre of the lower edge down gently to unhook it then lift it off.

You should then find a screw at either end holding the actual control panel to the wall.

It may be worth unplugging the control cable for a few seconds to see if this will reset the panel, you've got nothing to lose!

Keith.

I believe the control-panel arrangement in a 2008/2009 Swift Mondial may be as shown in the attached photo below.

Based on the relevant Swift handbook, the electrical system seems to comprise separate elements - the control-panel being discussed here, a 230V RCD/MCB unit, a unit carrying a bank of 12V fuses, and a battery-charger.

I did wonder if the control-panel was made by Energy Management Systems, but their panels don’t match.

765291969_mondialpanels.jpg.009e973d36f60b0d4c8ac7e0c8b65686.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-29 1:53 PM

I believe the control-panel arrangement in a 2008/2009 Swift Mondial may be as shown in the attached photo below.

Based on the relevant Swift handbook, the electrical system seems to comprise separate elements - the control-panel being discussed here, a 230V RCD/MCB unit, a unit carrying a bank of 12V fuses, and a battery-charger.

I did wonder if the control-panel was made by Energy Management Systems, but their panels don’t match.

That’s the very set up, I’ve hat the trim off and nothing there, swift are of no help, other than tell me to go to a dealer. Why is it not in the manual.

I’m pretty sure the power is 12v DC from the 5amp fuse that also dose the step (which is working).

I think if I can’t get any sense from Swift (unlikely) I’ll try Sargent on the off chance as they have been parity good in the past.

Or I may try comparing wiring on later model and see if I can convert.

buddy - 2020-01-29 9:37 PM

Did you try Apuljack Engineering? They are used by many dealers for problems with many makes of systems and may recognize yours.

Yes I‘Be been all over their website but nothing. Might send them a picture on the off chance tomorrow

Hi Kas&Krn

I had a similar problem a few years ago with the control panel in a swift Bolero I once owned. Turned out that moisture from dampness had got into the control panel causing corrosion and short circuiting. I`m by no means suggesting you have a damp problem, but I cured my control panel problem by removing the panel and spraying the internal board/contacts with a good quick drying contacts spray cleaner. Worked for me ;-)

Good luck

Steve

The assumption is being made that there’s is a fault with the Mondial’s control-panel, but this may not be the case.

The panel-related section in the relevant Swift Handbook has 15 drawings that show the panel’s functionality. The panel allows various checks to be made - battery voltages, habitation battery charge/discharge, fresh/waste water levels, etc. - plus turning the water-pump on and off. This suggests that (like CBE-made panels) the panel itself is just a remote ‘slave’ and, somewhere or other in the motorhome, there will be a ‘black box’ that the panel connects to and that provides the data that can appear on the panel’s LCD screen.

There’s no doubt that, around 2008/2009, Swift were fitting Nordelecttronica or Sargent electrical equipment in their motorhomes, but the control-panel shown in the 2008 Mondial Handbook seems to be unique to that model-year of Mondial.

I’d try Steve’s suggestion - remove the panel (there might be a clue to its manufacturer on the panel’s rear), disconnect it, spray it and reconnect it. This shouldn’t do any harm (unless the panel’s wiring were ‘lost’ in the void behind it!) and might do some good.

Thanks all, the hunt is still ongoing. I think it was made by a company called Zone Follow so getting some where.

Shame Swift doesn’t seen to want to answer or validate an email for swift talk. 2nd Swift I’ve had you’d have thought I would have learnt by now about their service.

The quest continues.

Kas&Krn - 2020-01-30 1:56 PM

Thanks all, the hunt is still ongoing. I think it was made by a company called Zone Follow so getting some where.

The quest continues.

Seems like they are, or where, based in Kent...

Zonefollow Limited

Electronic Equipment And Component Manufacture in Ramsgate

2 Wilton Road

Ramsgate

Kent

CT12 5HG

T: 01843 588 087

Ok So update

I removed unit disconnected all supplies and the on board battery. Some areas on the board needed a touch of TLC so contact cleaner and a light brush then the connecting blocks got a once over, some small corrosive deposits which i think come from condensation because of its location near the fridge and heater. Once completed and sparkly reassembled checked voltages and re fitted. voilá working unit. Thats £250 saved.

Thanks for all your advice

• 2 years later...

Just in case anyone else happens across this thread as we did with similar problems, I thought it worth popping a post on here in case it helps someone else in the future.

Firstly, glad to hear you got yours sorted Kas&Krn!

We entered our van (Autocruise Peugeot Boxer) this weekend to find our LCD had gone a bit crackers and was showing seemingly nonsensical characters on the screen (although some looking curiously like date codes). Button presses still seemed to work (switching the system on and off but couldn't manage much more given it was showing nonsense). Having had a quick google and finding this thread and similar ones, we concluded it was looking in need of a "turn it off and on again" approach.

We took the panel out and disconnected it, couldn't see anything obviously wrong but blew the dust off regardless. We then reconnected it to have no signs of life whatsoever. We noticed it had a small CR-1620 battery on the back of the LCD display and figured it couldn't hurt to replace that - got some ordered and commenced checking everything else.

Forward 24 hours everything else seemed in order, we replaced the small battery optimistically and ...nothing. In one last ditch attempt we again disconnected and reconnected the LCD panel in the order or medium sized connector, then the small one, then the largest (forgive. my last of technical knowledge). As soon as the first cable was reconnected it miraculously sprung back into life. After a date and time reset we seem to be back in action.

It seems unlikely that a 3v battery could bring the whole system to a halt, and we're not 100% sure if it was the battery or reconnecting it in some sort of magical order, but we'll certainly be keeping a couple of spares in the drawer.

Hopefully we're all good and it stays this way - and that this might help someone in future! Happy adventures.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Rowena for your update post. My 2009 Mondial panel was showin two lines of squares after it got zapped by someone walking over a dry foam floor mat. Removing the 3connectors from the back and replacing didn't reset it. But removing and replacing the backup battery with the connectors removed, and then replacing them, DID THE TRICK. Now all fine !

Archived