Cost of motorhome service

Guest rael

Our Fiat Ducato 250 with Comfortmatic gear box is coming up to its first big service. Just over 2 years old and nearly 30.0000 miles. Just been quoted £530 for the service down hear on the south coast at a Fiat Dealership. Does that seem about right?

rael - 2020-06-22 11:16 AM

Our Fiat Ducato 250 with Comfortmatic gear box is coming up to its first big service. Just over 2 years old and nearly 30.0000 miles. Just been quoted £530 for the service down hear on the south coast at a Fiat Dealership. Does that seem about right?

That is similar to what I was quoted by Adams Morey. Of course I did not get it done there but at a good independent who are very familiar with the Ducato and were happy for me to provide the oil and filters. The materials cost me about £100. I think they charged less than £200 including the MOT.

My view is

A lot depends on their hourly rate which could be £100 an hour and includes any standard replacements listed in their service manual, then there's VAT at 20%. All this would be classed as a standard service charge based on where they have their business.

You ask does this seem about right. Unfortunately there is no answer to that. You've bought an expensive piece of equipment and to maintain its well being there is a cost.

PS an ongoing cost !

Will

Will86 - 2020-06-22 1:28 PM

My view is

A lot depends on their hourly rate which could be £100 an hour and includes any standard replacements listed in their service manual, then there's VAT at 20%. All this would be classed as a standard service charge based on where they have their business.

You ask does this seem about right. Unfortunately there is no answer to that. You've bought an expensive piece of equipment and to maintain its well being there is a cost.

PS an ongoing cost !

Will

The reason I ask is that despite having had four previous motorhomes, I've never had one serviced in UK as I lived in Germany. Last one serviced there was (ironically) the day after the brexit referendum! Can't remember what I paid.

I've had another quote from a local motorhome place and thats £440. So I'm thinking thats the place to go. They fitted secondary aircon for me last year and seem to be pretty good.

rayc - 2020-06-22 12:00 PM

That is similar to what I was quoted by Adams Morey. Of course I did not get it done there but at a good independent who are very familiar with the Ducato and were happy for me to provide the oil and filters. The materials cost me about £100. I think they charged less than £200 including the MOT.

Not a bad price. My first Ducato 2 year service (2018 plate) in March just before lockdown this year at 19,200 miles was £498. The service was done by a Fiat Ducato Professional garage. Service labour was £200 plus VAT and the rest was oil, filters,pollen filter, brake fluid replacement etc.

The one year "optional" service in 2019 was £238 which I decided to have after 10,000 miles driving.

I'm happy to pay those prices for a professional job done by Fiat trained mechanics.

I've dealt with four Fiat (un) Professional garages, the only one which did a professional job is no longer a Fiat garage, the last cambelt change with service was done at Nick's place, who unfortunately has moved on, the last plain service with brake fluid change was done at my local garage. It will be a cold day in hell before I voluntarily go to another Fiat garage.

Sounds like crazy Money to me

My Motorhome is on a Mercedes sprinter base

My last two services a full service and then a oil service totalled £504.00 undertaken at main Mercedes commercial dealer in Surrey

I’m paying £80 labour plus parts.

His a local independent garage who can mot Motorhomes.

When he MOT’s my brand new ford transit custom he asks if I mind him going round all moving parts, like the bonnet catch and uses a very good spray lube.

He takes his time and a very genuine person.

I expect to pay £240 all in for a big service

My Ducato-based motorhome was purchased in April 2015 and all its routine base-vehicle servicing has been carried by a conveniently local Fiat Professional agent.

The 1st service (at 2 years) was on 20/03/2017 (mileage 5719). The cost (VAT inc.) was £353.52 with £75 being for Selenia oil.

The 2nd service (at 3 years) was on 27/03/2018 (mileage 9644). The cost (VAT inc.) was £236.89, but the only the oil-filter was changed. Selenia oil was again used and the cost included an MOT test.

The 3rd service(at 4 years) was on 26/03/2019 (mileage 13045). The cost (VAT inc.) was £299.38. Oil and fuel filters were changed and a less expensive non-Selenia oil to Fiat’s specification was used. The cost included an MOT test.

The 4th service(at 5 years) was on 13/03/2020 (mileage 16686). The cost (VAT inc.) was £255.47. Only the oil filter was changed. The cost included an MOT test.

The reason that some parts that are specified in Fiat’s service schedule as needing changing were not replaced is because I told the Fiat Professional agent not to change them. I replace the cabin pollen-filter myself (a time-consuming task) and I fitted a K&N ‘washable’ air-filter some while ago. I provide the garage with a list of things that I believe need particular attention and a list of things I don’t want done (including not spray-lubricating door and bonnet hinges ;-) )

(Rael’s quote of £530 seems expensive to me, but I don’t know if the Comfort-Matic transmission justifies that. As rael’s Ducato will be under warranty, it’s to be hoped that corners won’t be cut and that all replacement parts will be ‘genuine’ Fiat ones. If Fiat’s service schedule is strictly adhered to regarding filter changes and Selenia oil is used, that will influence the overall cost. The quote should break down what the service entails regarding parts and labour, and that should help to establish whether the £530 quote is unusually high. If rael’s quotation does not itemise the task, he should insist that a break down be provided. )

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-23 9:31 AM

My Ducato-based motorhome was purchased in April 2015 and all its routine base-vehicle servicing has been carried by a conveniently local Fiat Professional agent.

The 1st service (at 2 years) was on 20/03/2017 (mileage 5719). The cost (VAT inc.) was £353.52 with £75 being for Selenia oil.

The 2nd service (at 3 years) was on 27/03/2018 (mileage 9644). The cost (VAT inc.) was £236.89, but the only the oil-filter was changed. Selenia oil was again used and the cost included an MOT test.

The 3rd service(at 4 years) was on 26/03/2019 (mileage 13045). The cost (VAT inc.) was £299.38. Oil and fuel filters were changed and a less expensive non-Selenia oil to Fiat’s specification was used. The cost included an MOT test.

The 4th service(at 5 years) was on 13/03/2020 (mileage 16686). The cost (VAT inc.) was £255.47. Only the oil filter was changed. The cost included an MOT test.

The reason that some parts that are specified in Fiat’s service schedule as needing changing were not replaced is because I tell the Fiat Professional agent not to change them. I replace the cabin pollen-filter myself (a time-consuming task) and I fitted a K&N ‘washable’ air-filter some while ago. I provide the garage with a list of things that I believe need particular attention and a list of things I don’t want done (including not spray-lubricating door and bonnet hinges ;-) )

(Rael’s quote of £530 seems expensive to me, but I don’t know if the Comfort-Matic transmission justifies that. As rael’s Ducato will be under warranty, it’s to be hoped that corners won’t be cut and that all replacement parts will be ‘genuine’ Fiat ones. If Fiat’s service schedule is strictly adhered to regarding filter changes and Selenia oil is used, that will influence the overall cost. The quote should break down what the service entails regarding parts and labour, and that should help to establish whether the £530 quote is unusually high. If rael’s quotation does not itemise the task, he should insist that a break down be provided. )

Thanks for the the info and the prices you have paid in the past, very helpful.

Having done a bit of shopping around, I've spoken to a local garage of good repute. They have done some good work on my daughters car and a relative who owns a mobility car company always uses them. There quote is at the other extreme, about £190 + VAT! This includes Fiat parts and labour! So I've got a bit of a conundrum. Does anyone have a full list of the Ducato 30,000 mile/2 year service points? I've looked online but am not having a lot of luck. I just want to be able to cross reference with the garage so both parties (me and them) know whats expected.

Thanks for that, Jonathan.

I've now asked for quotes from a few 'approved' motorhome servicing centres in West Sussex. I'm thinking that the very cheap quote maybe 'too good to be true'. I'm not too concerned about the cost, as I want the job done properly, but at the same time don't want to get ripped off!

rael - 2020-06-23 10:15 PM

...Does anyone have a full list of the Ducato 30,000 mile/2 year service points? I've looked online but am not having a lot of luck...

Your Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook shoiuld have a “SERVICING AND CARE” section within which will be a “SERVICE SCHEDULE” table. (Pages 190 to 194 in the Euro 6b version I looked at) that includes supplementary servicing tasks if the vehicle has Comfort-Matic transmission.

For the 2-year/30K miles service scheduled replacement parts are

Fuel filter cartridge

Air cleaner cartridge

Pollen filter

Oil filter

Oil

plus a lot of checks/tasks that include "Use the diagnosis socket to check fuel/engine management system operation and engine oil decay (the latter for versions/markets, where provided)” which a non-Fiat garage is unlikely to be able to do, nor to reset the ‘next oil-change’ due-date.

(I’m not suggesting you pay over the odds (and £530 does sound high to me) but a Fiat Professional agent should be Ducato-familiar and should have the necessary equipment to carry out all the servicing tasks Fiat specifies. And - if there were any under-warranty issues/recalls - a Fiat Professional agent would be required to address them.)

Guest rael
Had the service today at Swift Motor Services in Worthing at a cost of £359:53. Seemed to have excellent reviews and a few folk I know have used them. Also did a 60 point check and picked up a number of minor issues that I new existed, but they would have had to look very closely to find, so very thorough. Only downside is I now need to new front tyres, which I also new.

Archived