Cost of staying overnight at Membury services?

Way2Go

We’re visiting our son in Tadley, Hants next month and will then be going to see our other son in Chippenham, Wiltshire. We are looking for a SAFE overnight stay somewhere between them and all I can find is lay-bys and the like which we aren’t happy about.

We were thinking about maybe Welcome Break Membury Services westbound but it seems you have to pay after 2 hours and I cannot find out from any of their websites how much it is. Could this be deliberate and a bit of a “well we’re here now and it IS11pm”.

Any help or a safe alternative would be great. Thank you.

...if you're comfortable using the A4, rather than the M4 (no real reason not to), then you might try booking a pitch at "Camping in the Forest" at Postern Hill, just outside Marlborough. Much would depend on your desired arrival time, though. 11pm is going to be a bit limiting ;-)

It's a similar distance, and not over-expensive (especially if no hook-up needed). All the pitches are grass, though.

Many thanks for that great suggestion. I know that area well as we used to live in Wiltshire before moving to Germany in 2014. We’ve stayed at Postern hill in the past and I’d completely forgotten about it so thank you for the good reminder.

We are going out to dinner and will leaving Tadley late-ish so I think the 11pm arrival may not be far out unfortunately. I’d hate to turn up at that time of night and disturb people. But thank you so much for the suggestion.

Way2Go - 2022-06-16 2:01 PM

laimeduck - 2022-06-16 1:53 PM

Just found this on google search. The Tipple Inn, £6 a night near Marlborough

Can' t recommend, but much better than Membury Services which is a dump!

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/markerMobile.php?id=23017

Jeremy

Many thanks I’ll check it out. Thank you

Sorry- just looked at this again - it was an old link from 2014! Don't know if they still welcome Mhomes now? Probably changed hands? Suggest phone first.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I actually downloaded the ‘search for sites’ app and it looks very comprehensive indeed. I’ve found the one you recommended…..and a lot more besides ;-)

I’m sure I can find something suitable but thank you for getting back to me. Much appreciated

...their current website details a hook-up for motorhomes for overnight stays.

Not sure how they'd be about stopping if you were arriving too late for food and/or drink (which is an expectation in some pub locations).

I've found an (unverified) link that more than 2 hours at the Membury services for a caravan/motorhome is going to cost £30!, and that it is rigorously policed. (half that for a car).

Robinhood - 2022-06-16 5:19 PM

...their current website details a hook-up for motorhomes for overnight stays.

Not sure how they'd be about stopping if you were arriving too late for food and/or drink (which is an expectation in some pub locations).

I've found an (unverified) link that more than 2 hours at the Membury services for a caravan/motorhome is going to cost £30!, and that it is rigorously policed. (half that for a car).

WOW that’s a lotta money. Thank you for getting back to me.

Way2Go - 2022-06-16 5:19 PM

Thanks Jeremy. I actually downloaded the ‘search for sites’ app and it looks very comprehensive indeed. I’ve found the one you recommended…..and a lot more besides ;-)

I’m sure I can find something suitable but thank you for getting back to me. Much appreciated

I'm afraid Jeremys Tipple Inn is a no go....i've just phoned them and they no longer allow overnight parking.

Try looking for large out of town Restaurants which usually have car parks and you might find a friendly one who will let you park overnight....on condition you have meals there of course!

As you're finding UK is not as accommodating as Germany.....i've lost count of the numerous overnight stops i've made at Autobahn service areas, often pleasantly laid out with mature trees providing plenty of welcome shade in hot weather, outdoor seating and tables, even barbeque points at some! All free to use...naturally. And of course you also have a brilliant choice of Stellplatz.

Bulletguy - 2022-06-16 8:55 PM

I'm afraid Jeremys Tipple Inn is a no go....i've just phoned them and they no longer allow overnight parking.

Try looking for large out of town Restaurants which usually have car parks and you might find a friendly one who will let you park overnight....on condition you have meals there of course!

As you're finding UK is not as accommodating as Germany.....i've lost count of the numerous overnight stops i've made at Autobahn service areas, often pleasantly laid out with mature trees providing plenty of welcome shade in hot weather, outdoor seating and tables, even barbeque points at some! All free to use...naturally. And of course you also have a brilliant choice of Stellplatz.

Many thanks for the update that was very kind of you.

Yes you’re perfectly correct about service areas and the stellplatz. We’ve toured through a lot of Europe and have always been happy to stop overnight almost anywhere but I’m struggling to find a safe place that isn’t a remote scary lay-by. I think the overnight pub thing may have legs so will see what I can find.

We won’t be able to use the restaurant idea as we will be arriving 10:30-11:00 pm but thank you for the tip.

Keithl - 2022-06-16 9:27 PM

According to Mr Google's maps it's only just over an hours drive from Tadley to Chippenham so could you not stay in Tadley at or near your sons then do the full drive in the morning?

A good point but our Tadley son lives in the middle of a housing estate and our Chippenham son lives on the busy A4 London road and there isn’t anywhere suitable at either end I’m afraid.

Thank you for taking the time to ask Mr Google. I appreciate your time in checking for me.

Way2Go - 2022-06-16 9:21 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-06-16 8:55 PM

Many thanks for the update that was very kind of you.

Yes you’re perfectly correct about service areas and the stellplatz. We’ve toured through a lot of Europe and have always been happy to stop overnight almost anywhere but I’m struggling to find a safe place that isn’t a remote scary lay-by. I think the overnight pub thing may have legs so will see what I can find.

We won’t be able to use the restaurant idea as we will be arriving 10:30-11:00 pm but thank you for the tip.

Many of these pubs do breakfasts now - so they may accept latecomers who have breakfast?

Archived