Council Welcomes Motorhomes

crocs

That's great news let's just hope it doesn't get ruined by a minority and then hopefully other councils will follow suit.

Let's not spoil our chance to show that we aren't ignorant morons and that when we leave the site we don't leave anything behind.

breakaleg - 2021-04-09 2:07 PM

That's good news, I think the 9am departure is a little early for many ? £5.00 is a fair price though.

Pete

Doesn't give you any chance to explore the local area or use the shops/cafes if there are any

Glad to see that some councils are taking the initiative, the hours 1 night only and 6pm to 9 am seam a little restrictive, and not inline with the purpose of attracting people to the local, lets hope they do consider it a trial and there is some opportunity for change, and of course lets hope that its not spoiled by some irrisponsible overnighters.

The cynic in me sees it a a scheme to stop street parking , 6pm to 9am is planned to discourage not encourage . The upshot will be thst for all intents and purposes motorhomes are being “ driven out “ no pun intended .

steve hill - 2021-04-09 7:25 PM

If only more would trial the idea, it works all over Europe....

This is a generalisation and not strictly true - there are some well known countries that provide aires or their equivalent but there are others where "overnighting" except on a campsite is not legal.

Nice one but just wondering what happens to these parking slots between 9am and 6pm.Do they 'change' to car only slots?

Quote from link..

"To ensure the sites are used properly, fixed penalty notices may be issued to anyone who uses the designated campervan bays for any vehicle other than a campervan or motorhome."

Pete

breakaleg - 2021-04-09 2:07 PM

That's good news, I think the 9am departure is a little early for many? £5.00 is a fair price though.

Pete

Yes it is really, however it's a step in the right direction and i'm not surprised to see it's Scotland taking the lead whilst England does absolutely nothing.

A few years ago I found a cracking little overnight stop at Cruden Bay harbour carpark which had half a dozen spaces marked out for motorhomes or caravans to park up. It has a one night limit but its not strictly policed and if room you are ok for two or three nights and there is no time limit. Payment is via honesty box.

Bulletguy,

Isn't this a little contradictory?

If there is a time limit of one night but some people stay longer couldn't this provide evidence for those who may wish to close it down? Often when "rules" are disregarded and this becomes known such facilities are closed.. Also if some folks are staying for two or three nights this lessens the opportunities for those who turn up hoping to stay for one night!

I believe that such places should be used respectfully and not abused.

mel wood - 2021-04-10 10:30 PM

Bulletguy,

Isn't this a little contradictory?

If there is a time limit of one night but some people stay longer couldn't this provide evidence for those who may wish to close it down? Often when "rules" are disregarded and this becomes known such facilities are closed.

I've looked back through my photos and I took one of the Harbour Port board information for motorhomes/caravans. Unfortunately reducing the file size to post on here would make it illegible but I found the limit is three nights, not one as I had posted.

Yes I understand what you mean about folk wanting to shut something down....often by those it least affects. It's a British peculiarity.

Their website is closed due to Covid but I found this which is the authority; https://www.campercontact.com/en/united-kingdom/scotland/cruden-bay/29019/port-erroll-harbour

Port Erroll Harbour has a Facebook page.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Port-Erroll-Harbour-1398392807098055/posts/?ref=page_internal

but the most recent posting there was on 17 September 2020.

On 13 September 2020 the following advice was given

***Reminder to Motorhomes***

5 Motorhomes Maximum

3 Nights Maximum

Parking is only permitted at the South facing railings.

During the recent days, Motorhomes have been disregarding the restrictions and parking up even though there are no spaces left. Port Erroll is NOT a camp site, so please be considerate to the harbour users and local residents and respect the rules put in place.

and on 1 August 2020

***Attention Campervans & Motorhomes***

There are some restrictions in place at the moment due to the high numbers of visitors, and the effect that has on harbour users and the surrounding community.

Maximum Stay - 3 Nights

Maximum Number of Vehicles - 5 Motorhomes

Parking is permitted along the South facing railings only.

Please drive carefully to and from the harbour estate, as the street can be very busy so it is important to bare this in mind for the safety of residents, pedestrians and visitors.

Water is available, but we insist that users sanitise the tap before and after use.

We hope you enjoy your visit to Port Erroll Harbour. Please support us by leaving a donation in the honesty boxes at the Slip way and Toilet block. Any donations recieved are much appreciated and help the volunteer team continue to maintain and improve the harbour.

Thanks.

Scott Buchan

P.E.H Management Team

stevec176 - 2021-04-12 11:06 AM

That sounds like a another area that is about to be lost due to inconsiderate users.

Not sure why you've drawn that conclusion...

The Port Erroll Harbour entry on the Searcchforsites website can be found here

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/markerMobile.php?id=22137

and the most recent review was in December 2020.

It’s fairly obvious from older photos (image attached below) and comments why the number of motorhomes that can overnight there has been limited to five, but as long as motorcaravanners comply with that rule and pay the recommended donation, there’s no particular reason to think the port authorities will ban motorhomes from there.

harbour.jpg.09e7b2958bf12aa1f6bd6ba0fd5207f6.jpg

I have been using Port Errol for many years and 5 bays are enough. That photo that Derek put up made me laugh. When it is windy and stormy most of those vans would have to move before they got ruined by waves and spray. :D I have been there in bad weather and seen it for myself.

I will say that I have never seen that many vans there at one time, that is exceptional but it may look so busy that it might put people off, which is a good thing. We rarely stay more than one night as we know a much better place not many miles away from there but it has the facilities we need and we always put a little extra money in the box to reflect our appreciation.

Archived