Crash in France

potus4388

Hello all,

I had intended to give you an update on my gas use in France following my question before I left, however, things have taken a turn for the worst.

Whilst driving normally along a road in Saumur, a car travelling towards us on the other side of the road suddenly swerved across the road and slammed into the side of us., the van turned over and my wife and I were trapped in in the the cab for half an hour before being released by the emergency services, who were wonderful, we have been checked out at the hospital and, I am glad to say, are both fine(I don't know how)

My question now,is, following a visit to The van, which is a write off, I wonder if I should take out the leisure battery or, given the fact that it will have probably be discharged, in the garage where the wreck has been taken,will it now be US?

I am currently waiting for a vehicle to get home and wonder if I should take this along with our other stuff?

Any comments will be welcome.

Sorry to hear of you misfortune, but at least you are both ok.

With regard to the Lesiure battery I would imagine that the Insurance company would view it as part of the vehicle and if you were to remove it and they notice,might have an issue. Personally i would leave it alone.

I am not an insurance expert, so don't know what they will consider to be part of the van, and what personal belongings, but do know that you can only remove personal items from a car if it is a write off without permission. I would imagine you can remove clothes, bedding, cutlery, plates etc but probably not mattress, curtains etc. As a rule of thumb I would leave anything that van came with when new. Might be worth asking the insurance company.

Will

So glad you’re both ok.

I would leave the battery- it may have been damaged or leaking having been on its side. You don’t need the extra hassle of coping with that possibility or the extra dead weight on your journey home. Insurance job.

The events yesterday has also got me thinking of the posts I have read here about travelling with the gas on, I shudder to think what may haove happened if my gas had been left on, the side with the gas locker took the full impact, certainly a lesson for me going forward! Thankfully, I had turned it off before travelling.

My inclination would be to not remove the battery if only that you will have all manner of clothing and bedding etc to carry away so why risk the possibility of acid damage to effects ot a hire car.

TV, sat nav, and any other gadgets and extras I would try to get and I would try to salvage gas bottles too as they are not part of the van's original kit but I would not re-use the pigtails in case they have been stretched or damaged.

Glad you are unhurt and best of luck sorting that lot out!

Hi Potus,

I'm glad tha you are bo+h OK.

My insurers +old me +o surrender my +ax disc. OK, +hey no longer exis+, bu don' forget to tell DVLA to cancel your VED before +he end of he mon+h, and no+ify disposal while he recovery +ruck is sill in sigh+.

Put the DVLA forms in seperate envelopes. Take photocopies of everyhing you send +o DVLA.

Do you have his inciden+ on dash-cam? If so, ell your insurers ... i migh just save you a few pounds off your nex+ policy.

My inclination would be to not cancel the VED until the claim has been setttled or you have the insurer's confirmation to do so.

It might well be OK but in my humble view it's not worth muddying the waters regarding legality of the vehicle for the sake of a few quid, but as mentioned keeping copies of all documentation could well be a good idea?

Glad to hear you are okay.

I'm not trying to be voyeuristic regarding your crash but did you have a dash-cam to record the incident ?

And just as an after thought - a friend of ours had a write off earlier this year while abroad, his fault entirely he said, and they got well over the value of the original Motorhome and have bought another more expensive one without having to use any of their own money – every cloud ….....

Its one of life's stranger facts that after avoiding a major incident that that could have dire consequences, the human brain seems to seek comfort in pursuing minor things in life to worry about. Seems to be a relief factor from the main event!

Maybe thinking about the battery, which really in the state of the whole event, is quite a minor item.

Hope you have a quick recovery, shock from something like this accident can set in some days after the event, so take care and watch out for the signs of unusual stress.

Rgds

potus4388 - 2018-10-13 5:04 PM

Hello all,

I had intended to give you an update on my gas use in France following my question before I left, however, things have taken a turn for the worst.

Whilst driving normally along a road in Saumur, a car travelling towards us on the other side of the road suddenly swerved across the road and slammed into the side of us., the van turned over and my wife and I were trapped in in the the cab for half an hour before being released by the emergency services, who were wonderful, we have been checked out at the hospital and, I am glad to say, are both fine(I don't know how)

My question now,is, following a visit to The van, which is a write off, I wonder if I should take out the leisure battery or, given the fact that it will have probably be discharged, in the garage where the wreck has been taken,will it now be US?

I am currently waiting for a vehicle to get home and wonder if I should take this along with our other stuff?

Any comments will be welcome.

You must be suffering from the shock of the whole incident I would say get your personnel stuff from the van and walk away (leisure battery 150 quid max not worth the worry or effort ) leave it to the Insurance to sort,its a write off anyway so why burden yourself with more stress .....

Many thanks for all your comments and best wishes, yes, your are correct about the battery, in the great scheme of things it really does not matter, we are lucky to be walking about, We were just in the van trying to sort out our belongings when I saw the battery which had been thrown across the van and thought "Should I take it"? It's not important and it will stay where it is.

Thanks again to all.

Johnhhhjjh

potus4388 - 2018-10-14 5:18 PM

Many thanks for all your comments and best wishes, yes, your are correct about the battery, in the great scheme of things it really does not matter, we are lucky to be walking about, We were just in the van trying to sort out our belongings when I saw the battery which had been thrown across the van and thought "Should I take it"? It's not important and it will stay where it is.

Thanks again to all.

Johnhhhjjh

Take Care John

vindiboy - 2018-10-14 8:27 PM

potus4388 - 2018-10-13 6:11 PM

Just thought it may be useful as a spare perhaps?

Why not take all the wheels, seats ,fridge etc, why stop at the battery, Don't forget the engine battery either ????

Epic contributor or no, I cannot be alone in considering your comment facetious in the extreme.

From personal experience I can tell you that we are all capable of irrational thought after undergoing an extremely traumatic event. It is perfectly possible that the OP is still suffering a degree of shock.

That is a bit of a bummer but glad to read you are both ok. It is a dreadful experience and is something none of us would like to happen to us. The aftermath is a real inconvenience and I hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction.

peedee

<<< My inclination would be to not cancel the VED until the claim has been setttled or you have the insurer's confirmation to do so. >>>

Hi,

You are required by law to cancel the VED immediately you cease to be the Registered Keeper of a vehicle. You are required by law to cancel the VED immediately it ceases to be insured. There is a potential £1,000 fine for not telling DVLA about either of the above.

I'm guessing that if your insurers regard this as a write-off, or claim your van in return for a "settlement", they will suspend your policy, and tell DVLA that your van is no longer insured.

There is no way that the Insurers can benefit from your VED. Your VED is void immediately it ceases to be your vehicle, OR the insurance is cancelled.

potus4388 - 2018-10-15 12:35 AM

Vindiboy, I have already said that the battery is not really important and a silly thought on my part, that said, I really don't find your comments in any way helpful.

I agree, but I interpreted it as intended as a humourous quip to try and lighten the moment a little and not intended as malicious.

Archived