Creaks from the luton

Guest Yvonne

Guest Yvonne
We have a 1993 Autotrail Cheyenne with an aluminium body When on the move we have always had the odd creaking noise from the luton, but just lately it has got much worse. Any ideas on how to deal with this problem?

Guest David Powell
Hi Yvonne...There is old saying on ships, and big boats:- IF SHE DON'T CREAK SHE'LL CRACK. The creaking is the sound of that big body flexing. I would say:- IF IT DON'T LEAK, DON'T FIX IT. Have you been over it with a damp meter??? Have you heard of Captain Tolly's creeping crack sealer, I expect somebody out there knows about it, and has used it??? I've never used it but it is supposed to be good...

Guest David
Hi, Yes Captian Tolly's id good fixed numerous leaks on an old Citreon Dyane we had. Yes coal miners used to listen to wooden pit props creak it was a good safety indicator,When they went ov er to Steel props the miners did not like them as they did not creak they just broke and by then it was too late. David

Guest Tom
If your Luton has a door (like lowline models) it might be the two halfes of the catch creaking?

Guest petej
Hi Yvonne, Used to have an Italian coachbuilt and this used to 'creak' around the overcab area, especialy over rough road surfaces. It was caused by the polystyrene foam moving slightly between the inner and outer layers (so the manufacturers told me) and there was nothing to cure it except a complete reskin of the luton (read very expensive), I desided I could live with it. pete

Guest Derek Uzzell
Yvonne: It seems you are not the only one... SEARCH forum on "squeek" (omit quotes and note unusual spelling) for more on this.

Archived