Crockery storage

Len Alves

The crockery storage on our Bessacarr is poor. Some time ago we had an Autocruise Starspirit with excellent crockery storage. it was a moulded container to hold plates, bowls etc in a vertical position with velcro straps to secure. I transferred it from van to van until it fell apart !! I cannot find anything like it for sale now. Anyone got any suggestions ?

Thanks

Guest Tracker

Yes - make a frame that will do the same job out of plywood or chipboard but with the advantage that it is tailored to suit your van and your crockery!

I assume you have the same kind of wire rack that we have in our Autocruise. I was very dubious but my wife suggested putting plates, cups etc into plastic food bags before putting them in the rack. It works very well, in 3000 miles nothing has fallen out or broken when on the move. The bag tightens the fit in the rack and eliminates any rattling noises.

Ours is like a upright drainer made of plastic covered metal,these you can get from Caravan shops, I have cut squares of the rubber mesh type roll stuff you can get it from pound shops or Wilkinsons, and in each plate section a have a piece that the plates press into it keeps them tight and they dont rattle ;-) if they do on a rough road they get another piece shoved between the offending rattle! I always have spare bits that I have cut and keep on the bottom of a storage shelf. My O.H is very weight concience so everything has to be lightweight .

Len Alves - 2012-04-04 6:09 PM

The crockery storage on our Bessacarr is poor. Some time ago we had an Autocruise Starspirit with excellent crockery storage. it was a moulded container to hold plates, bowls etc in a vertical position with velcro straps to secure. I transferred it from van to van until it fell apart !! I cannot find anything like it for sale now. Anyone got any suggestions ?

Thanks

Our Dimension had no crockery storage as our pervious Auot-sleeper had so I made my own

see photos

Alf

1283575932_Crockery20Cupboard202.jpg.4170529233c253d7374777c9ebcc54e6.jpg

1968856573_Crockery20Cupboard202.jpg.e5f2e2cfa5cae99bf82202cc69839cec.jpg

325685972_Crockery20Cupboard202.jpg.a052052c778852ebcb0200b2a5ec632a.jpg

Our cupboards are just empty, no holders for anything. I just stack my melamine plates up on each other on the bottom of the cupboard. Our bowls just sit on top with nothing in between. Our cups go in an ice cream container as they are china. Never get any rattles from the china cupboard. The same applies to the saucepan cupboard. I have the rubber stuff on the bottom and I stack the saucepans in each other, again no rattles.

I can honestly say that we don't suffer rattles in our van.

I removed the racks from our van as they simply take up too much room and unless you jam lots of stuff between them, the contents rattle! Instead I have a wire coated freestanding 'shelf rack' which I use in a locker above the table - the 'rack' has a gap at the bottom and allows the plates to be stacked underneath, the bowls and smaller plates go on the lower shelf, and buns, cereal containers* etc on the top one (*they slot up inside the top of the cupboard above the door line). I also use paper plates which go on top of the normal plates so they don't rattle or move around. The bowls and smaller plates are a tight fit between the shelves so again don't move anyway. At the end of the rack there is about 3" of space into which my chopping boards and small trays go (standing upright), and are a nice tight fit too.

Mugs and glasses go in a cupboard above the cooker (along with the kettle) and on each mug I have some plastic 'fishnet' type tubes/stockings* which stops them 'clinking' in transit (*came off some typist office chairs - used to protect the 5-start swivel bases in transit), although some cut-down socks would do the same thing. These are also used to keep stacked glasses, jugs etc from rattling as they keep them tightly packed.

My pans are on another freestanding metal rack with non-slip rubber matting on it - smaller pans go underneath, larger pans, including my pressure cooker, are stacked on top. Between the pans themselves I use either non-slip rubber matting or napkins to keep them 'tight' and therefore they don't rattle. Pan lids are either in individual material 'bags' or bubble wrap bags.

Don't understand the problem, I've put not slip matting on the locker bases and shelves and just stack plates & bowels as I would in the cupboard at home never had any problems with stuff not in place when we arrive or noise, only things we take a bit of care with is the china mugs they go in a draw with coasters between them.

• 7 years later...
Dick Edwards - 2019-11-25 10:49 AM

I have just removed the plate and cup storage item from our Autocruise Starfire as it was too high up from us to reach. You can have it for the price of postage, or collect from Holbury, Hampshire. (new member)

Dick,

The request for help which you have replied to was made over seven years ago so I would imagine that whatever problem they where experiencing then has long since been solved.

Keith.

My view is that racks take up too much space and would lead to rattles. We just stack our plates on top of each other with a bit of that mesh anti rattle stuff in between. Cups and glasses go in a plastic box where they are all wedged in. Pans inside each other with Lakeland pan protectors in between. Basically everything in our van is wedged in and separated with mesh - no rattles. As for the comment that is is just a bit of background noise to be ignored - no way - I can’t stand even the slightest rattle and if there is one I will stop and fix it.

Archived