Current Problem?

cruiser

Just a thought.....we were staying at a campsite in Tipperary this week and noticed (on our evening walk around) that one tent-camper had plugged their electric car into the EHU.

Will this be a more common site for cars and motorhomes in the future....and if so, will site-owners have to re-think their EHU facilities?

PS: Note my amazingly clever play on words in the title! (I'm easily impressed)

As I posted a year or so ago, I noticed on a C&CC site many tuggers where using hybrids which they could plug in overnight, many sites might find they need to consider metering electric, but CMC have decreed that there cannot be a separate charge for EHU.

If they don’t or are unable to install a chargeable meter I’d have thought that a campsite workaround would be to reduce the EHU breakers to 3A and install a couple of chargeable vehicle recharge points somewhere to satisfy that requirement. I’m assuming that a battery powered car is recharged at above 3A?

Current regulations forbid charging for electricity unless you are a licenced 'reseller', hence why many sites charge for 'serviced pitches' or similar. C&MC chose to include electric in ALL pitch prices and hence do not offer it as an extra.

Electric cars can charge at as low as 13 A (domestic three pin plug/socket) but can take many hours to do so. Modern chargers are often 32 A or even higher, Tesla superchargers are way higher then this!

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-07-13 11:43 AM

Current regulations forbid charging for electricity unless you are a licenced 'reseller',

Keith.

As far as I can ascertain this doesn't apply to campsites and other similar such as marinas, holiday homes, landlords etc.

It could soon be the norm for people to power their caravans from their hybrid car. Some Japanese domestic models had the option to power the house in case of a power cut so a caravan would be a piece of cake. This would certainly broaden the choice of campsites if you no longer had to rely on EHU.

Chargers for Plug-in Hybrid cars (PHEVs) are developed to provide rapid charging and charging rates are up to 350 kilowatts (500 amps at up to 1000 volts) using three phase electrical supplies. For comparisson a UK campsite EHU are single phase and will deliver no more than 16 amps at 240 volts which works out at 3.8 kilowatts, so barely 1% of the charging rate which fast charging a PHEV could require. Using EHU connections, only slow (i.e. overnight-type) charging of electrical vehicles will be possible. It's difficult to imagine that campsite owners would ever contemplate installing PHEV fast charging points as replacements for existing EHU outlets.

Just back from an eight week tour of Norway, from Oslo to the North Cape. During our visit we saw many electric cars, especially Teslas and a corresponding number of fast charge points to support them.

One point that struck us is that there will have to be a standard method of connection, as it will become unviable to have various non-compatible plug / socket arrangements. Who is going to produce and enforce such a standard?

We saw no attempts to charge cars on sites, or evidence of cars being used to supply caravans with electricity.

Given the distances between population centres and the climate in northern Norway, we were really surprised at the take-up of electric vehicles. It must be said though that the majority that we saw were south of the Arctic Circle.

spospe - 2019-07-13 2:07 PM

Given the distances between population centres and the climate in northern Norway, we were really surprised at the take-up of electric vehicles. It must be said though that the majority that we saw were south of the Arctic Circle.

Government policy, there are big tax advantages for electric vehicles.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/02/709131281/electric-cars-hit-record-in-norway-making-up-nearly-60-of-sales-in-march?t=1563027649077

StuartO - 2019-07-13 1:47 PM

Chargers for Plug-in Hybrid cars (PHEVs) are developed to provide rapid charging and charging rates are up to 350 kilowatts (500 amps at up to 1000 volts) using three phase electrical supplies. For comparisson a UK campsite EHU are single phase and will deliver no more than 16 amps at 240 volts which works out at 3.8 kilowatts, so barely 1% of the charging rate which fast charging a PHEV could require. Using EHU connections, only slow (i.e. overnight-type) charging of electrical vehicles will be possible. It's difficult to imagine that campsite owners would ever contemplate installing PHEV fast charging points as replacements for existing EHU outlets.

The electric cars I've looked at can be plugged into various outlets, so they are quite happy to be plugged into a 16amp supply all night and give a reasonable range next day.

The electric cars I've looked at can be plugged into various outlets, so they are quite happy to be plugged into a 16amp supply all night and give a reasonable range next day.

From the Tesla website; a 16 amp supply will give a charge of approximately 11 miles per hour range. This means that an 'overnight' charge of say 10 hours, will give about 110 miles of range, OK for the average commute the next morning.

However, using just the normal domestic supply of 13 amps, will only give about 9 miles per hour. This can become a problem if visiting friends or family and they do not have a suitable outlet. The other problem is, who pays?

I think that Norway is third in the worldwide list of Tesla sales after the US and China. I guess that it's all about provision of charging points. These stood out like a sore thumb in a small and quite run-down village at 69 degrees North, well above the Arctic Circle.

We didn't see anyone using them mind..

Capture.JPG.11b4f2efd48903140b5afc2185f9ec85.JPG

Steve928 - 2019-07-13 7:43 PM

I think that Norway is third in the worldwide list of Tesla sales after the US and China. I guess that it's all about provision of charging points. These stood out like a sore thumb in a small and quite run-down village at 69 degrees North, well above the Arctic Circle.

We didn't see anyone using them mind..

We saw something similar in northern Sweden many years ago - with some in car parks in small towns.

I think these may be used for charging up Skidoos in winter time.

:-|

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-07-13 8:08 PM

Very nice picture Steve. Any idea from where the Amps come? Did you see also their Hydrogen stations?. They can drive fully green. But sell fossile oil and gas thru pipelines into europe. Hyprocites as any politician. And all these cruise ships every day into their fjords. Polluting extremely.

That's because stupid countries like the UK and Belgium haven't sorted their domestic supplies to be self reliant.

• 4 weeks later...
colin - 2019-07-13 9:05 PM

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2019-07-13 8:08 PM

Very nice picture Steve. Any idea from where the Amps come? Did you see also their Hydrogen stations?. They can drive fully green. But sell fossile oil and gas thru pipelines into europe. Hyprocites as any politician. And all these cruise ships every day into their fjords. Polluting extremely.

That's because stupid countries like the UK and Belgium haven't sorted their domestic supplies to be self reliant.

After yesterdays massive power failure all over so much of the U.K. I don't fancy the idea of an ALL electric car.

If you get stranded you can't even call for help on your mobile phone.

;-)

Archived