Customs rules

curdle

Hi, I'm baffled as well with the rules, as I live in N. Ireland drive 50 miles cross the border and I'm in the EU and nobody knows we are there. No passport checks I could stay a month then cross over to France stay my allowed 90 days return to Ireland and I'm still in the EU. As regards the Alcohol even if I bring more than the proposed 24 ltrs I'm still in the EU so I'm not smuggling any until I drive the 50 miles north to cross the border again. Time will tell if I'm wrong. ????????

It’s a PERSONAL ‘age over 16’ allowance. (eg. 18 litres of non-sparkling wine for each person aged over 16) .

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arriving-in-Great-Britain

Alcohol allowance

How much you can bring depends on the type of drink. You can bring in:

beer - 42 litres

wine (not sparkling) - 18 litres

You can also bring in either:

spirits and other liquors over 22% alcohol - 4 litres

fortified wine (for example port, sherry), sparkling wine and alcoholic drinks up to 22% alcohol - 9 litres

You can split this last allowance, for example you could bring 4.5 litres of fortified wine and 2 litres of spirits (both half of your allowance).

Alcohol and tobacco allowances if you’re under 17

There are no personal allowances for tobacco or alcohol if you’re under 17. You can bring alcohol and tobacco to the UK for your own use but you must pay tax and duty on them before you arrive in the UK.

There are different rules for Northern Ireland.

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arriving-in-northern-ireland

peejay - 2021-01-01 8:28 PM

..and once you have purchased your duty free booze allowance up to the stated limit I was wondering if you can bring in further 'French duty paid' booze from say one of the French supermarkets without penalty?

Pete

I doubt it. French excise is 0.03 c per bottle so strictly speaking all French wine is virtually duty free in the supermarkets.

I’m not sure what ‘French duty paid’ booze is when it’s bought in France.

If I buy a 0.75 litres bottle of still wine from a French supermarrket, the standard French excise duty of €0.03 per bottle will have been applied to it and this willl be evident from the marking on the seal on the bottle’s top.

This link shows EU excise and VAT rates on wine (for a case of 12 x 0.75l bottles)

https://www.wine-searcher.com/eu-wine-taxes

but I assume that a bottle of still wine imported from Spain (zero excise duty) and then sold in a French supermarket will attract the French €0.03 French excise duty charge.

Essentially, the personal allownce is 18 litres of still wine (24 x 0.75l bottles, 12 x 1.5l bottles, 8 x 2.25l BiBs, 6 x 3.0l BiBs, etc) wherever in the EU you buy it from.

Archived