DC tyre inflator issues. Advice please.

Albertslad

Some years ago I bought a RING RAC900 tyre inflator. All was well, but at that time I had a 12v battery “spare” . My leisure battery is not that accessible, so this worked well. At home, in the drive, but not on the move.

I’m now finding that I need either a small but powerful 12volt battery, or maybe a mains transformer that I can use at home or on the move.

Electrics are not in my comfort zone, so advice is sought.

A Ring RAC900 comes with crocodile clips as the current required is too great for any cigarette lighter socket.

The quickest way to connect on your Ducato is open the bonnet and connect it to the jump start terminals and only use it with the engine running.

Keith.

Albertslad - 2021-09-22 9:01 AM

Some years ago I bought a RING RAC900 tyre inflator. All was well, but at that time I had a 12v battery “spare” . My leisure battery is not that accessible, so this worked well. At home, in the drive, but not on the move.

I’m now finding that I need either a small but powerful 12volt battery, or maybe a mains transformer that I can use at home or on the move.

Electrics are not in my comfort zone, so advice is sought.

I have the Ring RAC900 tyre inflator. I use it off the engine battery, by lifting the bonnet and connecting the clips to the jump start points. Works perfectly every time, it’s a great piece of kit.

flyboyprowler - 2021-09-23 11:53 PM

Hard wire a lead and in-line socket and plug directly off the battery. You can then plug in your Ring whenever you need it or use other 12v accessories in that socket.

Something like this

Link to ScrewFix

Unfortunately, the Screwfix master plug is as stated a 10A rated item, whereas the Ring RAC 900 the OP has is rated at 30 Amps, massively higher.

The underlying concept is good advice, but I would use a pair of Anderson, standard grey SB50 connectors, and include an adequately rated fuse close to the positive battery pole.

https://uk.farnell.com/anderson-power-products/992/plug-socket-connector-housing/dp/1654418

Edit: on further consideration I would buy three Andersons so I could also mount them in the Ring's lead, close to the clips, thus be able to retain the Ring as a clip on connected device, and use it with the clips temporarily unplugged directly to the Anderson mounted in the MH. So not screw up the Ring's inherent flexibility for use elsewhere.

Those of us who need to inflate motorhome tyres from zero pressure (eg DIY tyre changes) must be as rare as hen’s teeth in UK so the practical requirement for most of us will be to top up pressures by a few psi if we cannot conveniently drive to a forecourt facility. So although I carry a 12v inflator I have never used it in 20+ years. But I have used the compressor built into a jumpstart pack on car and trailer tyres at home occasionally and for modest top-ups that is useful - but it’s not worth carrying its weight in the motorhome.

I suggest that apart from the brave motorhomers who undertake adventurous touring in third world countries, carrying your own tyre inflation machinery is not really necessary.

If you happen to travel regularly for lengthy periods, particularly overseas, as I do, then carrying some tyre inflation device is definitely to be recommended IMO.

Surprising the number of times my tyre(s) have needed a top up due to temperature pressure loss, minute leakage, slow puncture evident after a 2,3, or 4,week campup. The nearest forecourt pump may be miles away, and bound to be in the wrong direction and only putting out 2 Bar car pressures, or U/S at times.

I searched out the highest Wattage 12v pump supplied with a cig. lighter plug ended up with the RING RTC 1000. Rated at 15A. Very compact. It will occasionally blow a 10A fuse if say inflating from flat! I have an external permanent 12v socket wired directly to the leisure batteries to use in extremis.

Ocsid - 2021-09-24 2:13 PM

I don't carry our Ring RAC900 about, that lives at home but I do carry a good quality cycle track pump, needed for the bikes and that rated at 160 psi is excellent to add the odd few psi to a vehicle tyre.

Rather you than me if the van tyre were flat!!

Plug in 12v for me everytime - just watch and wait - no puff required!!

Tracker - 2021-09-24 5:00 PM

Ocsid - 2021-09-24 2:13 PM

I don't carry our Ring RAC900 about, that lives at home but I do carry a good quality cycle track pump, needed for the bikes and that rated at 160 psi is excellent to add the odd few psi to a vehicle tyre.

Rather you than me if the van tyre were flat!!

Plug in 12v for me everytime - just watch and wait - no puff required!!

That is why I very specifically said " add the odd few psi.".

The Ring RAC900 tyre-pump was reviewed in this 2015 Practical Caravan link

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/ring-rac900

The 2.4m length of the battery connection cables, plus the 7-metre (extended) length of the air-line, should allow any of wheels of most motorhomes to be reached if (as Keithl has mentioned above) the pump is connected to a Ducato’s engine-compartment ‘jump start’ points.

As I’ve said here in the past, I have a T-Max pump that’s conceptually similar to the RAC900. When used at home I power it from a ‘slave’ 12V battery (because this is convenient and I have a couple of spare batteries) and I store the pump in a handy niche under my motorhome’s bed. If I had to use the pump away from home I’d either power it from the jump-start points or from the leisure battery that’s reasonably accessible in the Rapido’s rear garage. I can’t see any persuasive reason not to carry the pump in the motorhome because, if I needed to use the pump when travelling, it would not be to make minor adjustments to tyre pressures and - as I don’t have/carry bicycles - a bike track-pump would have no obvious value for me.

Keithl - 2021-09-22 9:16 AM

A Ring RAC900 comes with crocodile clips as the current required is too great for any cigarette lighter socket.

The quickest way to connect on your Ducato is open the bonnet and connect it to the jump start terminals and only use it with the engine running.

Keith.

And this is what we do on our xlwb x250, usually working together, me watching the gauge and gf working the power switch.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-09-25 9:35 AM

As I’ve said here in the past, I have a T-Max pump that’s conceptually similar to the RAC900. When used at home I power it from a ‘slave’ 12V battery (because this is convenient and I have a couple of spare batteries) and I store the pump in a handy niche under my motorhome’s bed. If I had to use the pump away from home I’d either power it from the jump-start points or from the leisure battery .

So my “slave battery “ option is not unreasonable, but has payload issues, if you have payload issues with your van.

The jump-start option I’ll seriously investigate; now where’s the handbooks?,

Thanks to all for the advice.

Albertslad - 2021-09-26 9:01 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2021-09-25 9:35 AM

As I’ve said here in the past, I have a T-Max pump that’s conceptually similar to the RAC900. When used at home I power it from a ‘slave’ 12V battery (because this is convenient and I have a couple of spare batteries) and I store the pump in a handy niche under my motorhome’s bed. If I had to use the pump away from home I’d either power it from the jump-start points or from the leisure battery .

So my “slave battery “ option is not unreasonable, but has payload issues, if you have payload issues with your van.

The jump-start option I’ll seriously investigate; now where’s the handbooks?,

Thanks to all for the advice.

The jump start points are really easy to find. Then just fix the crocodile clips on them.

This thread should help you spot them, with a diagram

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Jump-Start/54812/

• 4 months later...

It depends on the amperage of the dashboard socket, and the pressure you want to inflate the tyres to and how long you want the task to take.

Dashboard sockets tend to have a maximum design limit of no higher than 15A (and often less than that). A tyre pump that draws 10A-15A will happily inflate a smallish volume car tyre to (say) 35psi, but will stagger or die when faced with the type of large volume tyre normally fitted to motorhomes and an inflation pressure of 60-80psi.

This 2021 review may be of interest, but you'd need to check the amperage of each pump and what amperage your dashboard socket can handle.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/353933/best-12v-compressors-2021

I've managed to inflate m/home tyres to 5 Bars plus, sometimes from flat with quite small 12v inflators by limiting

the process to short stages, letting the pump and power cable cool off. Admittedly you've got to have patience, but

when needs dictate....

Holding the cable gives a good indication of heat build up. Having some spare fuses handy may be necessary,!

This RING-branded pump is said to draw only 15A and comes with a dashboard plug

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RAC830

However, the asking-price ain't cheap (£65) and I'd question whether the ability to use a dashboard socket justifies this when a T-MAX 'battery connect' pump can be obtained for a similar cost.

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-12v-air-compressor-small-portable-heavy-duty-tyre-inflator-car-truck-4x4/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrK7k-NGJ9gIVw-7tCh0GUgETEAQYBCABEgKKd_D_BwE

(Incidentally, both pumps have a screw-on tyre-valve connector that can be infuriating to use.)

Derek Uzzell - 2022-02-18 4:22 PM

...(Incidentally, both pumps have a screw-on tyre-valve connector that can be infuriating to use.)

The quickest and simplest way round the screw on connector is to add a 'Valve access tool' from Halfords.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories/oxford-valve-access-tool-461062.html

This converts the connector to the more common lever type in a flash.

Keith.

A couple of earlier forum threads that included mention of the Halfords 'valve access tool'

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/12v-van-tyre-pump-recomendations-please-/49906/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyre-valve-extension/50787/

The Halfords product is OK, but the lever-operated connector is crudely made and far from sturdy - I accidentally stood on mine and the connector and hose parted company.

I replaced it with one of these

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/tyre_and_wheel_care/valve_access_tool/

The connector end is better engineered, but probably not much more 'shoe resistant'. (In fact, I managed to repair the Halfords tool using a short metal tube and epoxy glue. Experimentation proved that the repaired tool would withstand a 90psi inflation pressure, though I didn't check if it would tolerate being stood on.)

This clip-on connector MIGHT be an alternative.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304228398509

Archived