DIY Conversion

Guest Gaynor

Guest Gaynor
Happy Easter everyone! Wonder if anyone would like to offer us some advice? We are moving to Spain upon the sale of our house (no sign yet of a buyer). However, as we will need a left hand drive vehicle once we are living over there, we don't want to go buying a nice new car plus tourer here as it will all be right hand. So we've decided to do a conversion which will let us and our 3 children travel over there and live in whilst we buy a place and do anything that needs to be done to it. We would have six months to keep it without having to register it in Spain at which point we would bring it back here to sell. My question is this - should we convert our Transit 190 high top lwb on a '98 (bearing in mind its got about 130k on the clock) and which has been 100% reliable or would it be more cost effective to get rid of it now and buy a newer one which has done about 60k? We don't want to be throwing our money away and would like to at least break even when we eventually sell it within the next year. Holding my breath for some pearls of wisdom...

Guest PeteC
Persoally I would look at keeping the van as a van (better resale value) & buy a cheap Frame tent (our 140K miles van could have been sold about 5 times when we were forced to retire - It took us longer to find a MH that we were happy with)

Archived