DIY pc fans to dometic fridge

pusscat

Hi,

I know there has been lots on this but thought i’d Just post how i’ve Done mine in a couple oF hours this morning for the grand total of £11.62 on a swift Rio 320.

Two new pc fans from eBay. They are Arctic f12 TC. 120mm, complete with thermocouple so you don’t need a thermostat as it’s included.

Always confusing, the fans come with 3 wires. On the 3 inc connector, which would normally connect to a pc board, there is a ‘1’ against one of the end pins...this is the ground. The 12v power pin is the middle, the third you don’t need. Just look up kph fan plug wiring’ n google to see photos.

The colour of the wires appears to vary, my ground was black, the power was actually yellow.

There is another double black cable of about 40cm which is the temperature sensor.

Finding a 12v cable was a faff...after a few trial and error attempts and the odd blown fuse, I settled on the cable to the back of the cooker that powers the spark (the 12volt one mind, not the mains!!) It was only live with the ec400 and the control panel above the door on but that’s not too much of a problem.

I put an inline fuse in, wired a switch which I had laying around fo I could turn it ff completely at will, poked the cable to the Back of the fridge and wired the fans in parallel. Connected them to the domestic grill (top) to pull the air out and fixed the thermocouple to the wall at the top.

Whilst powered, the fans are on very low. You can’t hear them when in the open let along behind the fridge... then, when the temp get apparently gets to about 32 deg ( I think independent testing shows for these fan this to be nearer 38) the speed ramps up. I tried with a mug of hot water and they really shifted some air when the sensor kicked in. Sound does increase but it wasn't’ much and as yet I haven’t heard it in the van.

Once I found the 12v I needed to splice into, it was easy. Getting the grills off the side of the van was probably most problematic!

So those times when it’s a barmy 30 degrees outside, the beer should remain cool!

I attached them on the back of the vent. I used thin cable tit’s, one at each corner. The fans have screw holes there so through both holes, around one f the vent slots and back.

You have to make sure there s enough room at the edge to get the vent back on though!

I then took the wires / temperature sensor cable off to one side and mounted on the wall so they wouldn’t get in the way of the fans.

You need to mount so the air is being pushed out from the top of the fridge...

Archived