DRL Problem.

Wooie

I have a set of Ring Aurora BRL0397 150mm LED Daytime Running Lights fitted on my van.

They have the Automatic Swtich fitted that turns them on when you start the engine and go off when

either the side lights are turned on or the engine is turned off and are completely Fit and Forget.

They are connected directly to the Engine Battery as per the instructions.

I also have a Solar Panel fitted and it is connected to the Regulator which in turn is connected directly to the 2 Leisure batteries.

I do not have a Battery Master fitted.

If the van is on EHU and the Sun comes out the DRL`s ( sometimes ) turn themselves on for a few

seconds then turn themselves off for about 30 seconds then on then off and on and off and so on.

It never happens on Cloudy or Dull days.

It does not happen when i`m driving and the Sun comes out, a family member drove with us some

considerable distance and even at lunchtime in full Sun they stayed lit.

It doesn`t always do it and has no pattern to it at all.

I`ve resorted to " Pulling The Fuse " on the DRL`s whilst on a site to stop people keep coming over

to tell me that my " Lights Keep turning On and Off "

Is there a Fix or is it one of Lifes Little Annoyances ?

Apologies for being a bit long-winded but i wanted to get as much info in the question as possible.

Regards.

Graham.

Graham

These type of easy fit running lights detect the voltage of the engine battery and when it reaches a certain level they switch on (presuming that the increased voltage is due to the alternator running and charging the battery) . So its perfectly feasible that your on-board charger whilst happily charging both the leisure and vehicle battery's when the sun is not out becomes confused when the sun shines and the solar panel increases the voltage on the leisure batteries and goes into a pulsed mode charging state by applying increased voltage but only for short periods (hence the lights flashing) Best bet is when this is happening to put a digital meter across the vehicle battery and watch the voltage fluctuate which should coincide with the flashing. It may be possible to put a silicone rectifier in series with the running lights to provide a 0.7v approx drop in voltage and prevent this occurring. if you need more details let me know.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the quick response, i`ve had the DRL`s on for several years now and i`m really happy

with them.

It was only after i fitted the Solar Panel that it started doing it and what has thrown me is that the Panel

is only connected to the Leisure Batteries and the DRL`s are only connected to the Engine Battery.

I haven`t a Battery master fitted so i couldn`t get my head round it.

I`ll try the Multi-Meter on the Engine Battery next time the Sun comes out ( If it ever does ...LOL ).

Regards.

Graham.

Battery master is not the only control unit that will feed excess power into the vehicle battery, our Schaulst does this, but what I've not got around to checking is how the solar panel is wired up. Must do that some day.

You might also want to keep an eye on what happens when your motorhome is on 230V hook-up. If your on-board battery-charger charges the starter-battery as well as the leisure-batteries (which sounds like might happen from your description) you could find that the DRLs come on when the charger starts up. I mentioned this in my 21 November 2011 8:02 AM posting here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Daytime-Running-Lights-2011-Fiat-Ducato/25631/

(Either way, a relay should deal with the problem as has been advised.)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-15 2:43 PM

You might also want to keep an eye on what happens when your motorhome is on 230V hook-up. If your on-board battery-charger charges the starter-battery as well as the leisure-batteries (which sounds like might happen from your description) you could find that the DRLs come on when the charger starts up. I mentioned this in my 21 November 2011 8:02 AM posting here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Daytime-Running-Lights-2011-Fiat-Ducato/25631/

(Either way, a relay should deal with the problem as has been advised.)

Derek

As per the OP it is when the van is on EHU and the sun comes out that his DRL's come on

I have a similar problem with my home fitted DRLs, Which light up when the maintenance charger kicks in or changes its charging rate.

I intend to fix the problem by using an ignition on circuit and piggyback fuse.

I wrote the paragraph below on the IQ site as I have the similar relay on our IQ3.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

Just an update as the DRLs have been in place for six months or so.

++ IQ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All working as they should, sort of. One unit occasionally does not light up, but turning the side light switch on then off turns it on. Just got into the habit of flicking the side lights on and off, after starting the IQ and all is fine until next start-up.

++ M/Home +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The identical units and relay on the m/home are more problematical. (I did not return the unit, but thought I would test it out See previous replies to thread)

The DRLs do /will not auto light when the engine starts, but will light when the side lights are turned on and off. Similar to the IQ, just a matter of getting into the habit of flicking the lights after starting.

When the M/home is not in use, the vehicle battery is connected to a Ctek maintenance charger. When the voltage is high the DRLs will light up until the voltage falls back to normal standing. What is strange is that the engine on tickover is the same voltage as the charger but the DRLs do not light, unless sidelights are turned on/off.

I am re-wiring the supply for the DRLs to a circuit which is live when the engine is running, so the problem of neighbours knocking on the door at night telling me my lights are on will cease. (Hopefully)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rgds

PS Just to add that the piggyback connection has been discussed before on another thread, Without checking, I think the fuse was F41 or F44 in the black fuse box on the RHS of the X250 engine compartment. DO CHECK THE HANDBOOK REGARDING F41/F44.

I`ve now had chance to have a good play around and try every possible variation of charging i can.

The only time the DRL`s come on and off is when they shouldn`t is when van is on EHU AND the Solar Regulator is in " Pulse Mode " as confirmed by the info on the Solar Regulator LCD Panel and at the Engine Battery.

It does not happen when the Regulator is in " Float Mode "

I think the " Pulse Mode " must be confusing the Vans Charger as has been said.

When the van is just on EHU which charges both the Leisure Batteries and the Engine Battery they are fine and when the van is just using the Solar Panel they are fine.

As i said in my post the DRL`s are connected directly to the Engine Battery as per the instructions.

After reading the Threads from the links Derek gave i`m going to try connecting the DRL`s to a Ignition Feed in the Engine Bay Fuse Box using one of these :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2736&_nkw=Fuse+tap+piggy+back

Can someone please tell me which one i can Tap Into considering mine is a 2006 X244 and not a X250 as shown in the links.

If this does not work then i`ll be shouting " Help " to Dr Dave and we`ll try it his way.

I do not want to remove them because i`m convinced they have advantages especially on the Single Track roads as far more people Give Way first instead of Ploughing on through as they did before i fitted them.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-17 8:34 AM

Fuse F44 was mentioned here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Solar-panel-and-the-cigarette-socket/26795/#M312097

(The Ducato being discussed then was a pre-X250 model.)

Thanks for the link,

In the recesses of my mind, I am sure there was a DRL link, that discussed fitting the fuse and also had a picture of the piggyback fuse holder. I have searched as many variations of DRL .Daylight /day light / running lights but cannot find it.

Rgs

tonyishuk - 2013-03-17 4:47 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-17 8:34 AM

Fuse F44 was mentioned here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Solar-panel-and-the-cigarette-socket/26795/#M312097

(The Ducato being discussed then was a pre-X250 model.)

Thanks for the link,

In the recesses of my mind, I am sure there was a DRL link, that discussed fitting the fuse and also had a picture of the piggyback fuse holder. I have searched as many variations of DRL .Daylight /day light / running lights but cannot find it.

Rgs

I`ve looked at that many threads and links now i can`t remember where this one came from :-

http://www.tagfahrlicht.com/IT/picture/downloads/Einbaustory/EinbaustoryLEDayLine_Fiat_Ducato.pdf

Archived