DVLA Driving Licence extensions

Gman

The DVLA guidance says

If your photocard driving licence or your entitlement to drive expires between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020, you have an 11-month extension from the date of expiry. This means that you will not need to renew your photocard or entitlement to drive until 11 months after your original expiry date. You do not need to do anything as this extension is automatic.

As a ‘paper’ driving licence is as valid an “entitlement to drive” as a photocard one, presumably the same 11-month extension applies to both driving-licence types.

You don’t have to renew your licence for UK use only but, if you are planning on driving abroad or hiring a car in UK then it might be a good thing to do so. It also gets you ahead of the inevitable queue when things become more normal.

I have just renewed my over 70s licence with C1 entitlement. Specsavers did the eye test within 2 days, my doctor did the medical the day after asking ( cost £90 which is £10 up on 3 years ago) and the DVLA returned the new licence within 2 weeks of sending the completed paperwork.

I was surprised and very relieved ! Don’t forget to keep a good photocopy of your expired licence before sending it off.

Renewing a driving licence at age 70 or over is discussed here

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

The same ‘extension rules’ evidently apply, so if Zedeco Joe reached 70 on (say) 1 December 2020 - that presumably will be the expiry date of his current paper licence - he would have 11 months from that date to renew his licence and his present paper licence would remain valid until 30 November 2021.

The above link advises as follows

You can apply by post using the D46P application form.

DVLA will automatically send you this form 90 days before your 70th birthday.

Use the D1 application for a driving licence form if you haven’t got the D46P form. You can pick one up at most Post Offices.

It may take longer than 3 weeks for you to get your new licence because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

There’s more guidance here

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/travel-hobbies/driving/

and the ‘paper licence’ is mentioned in the section headed "How do I renew my driving licence after 70?"

Derek Uzzell - 2020-09-03 7:37 AM

DVLA will automatically send you this form 90 days before your 70th birthday.

Do not bank on this. I am still waiting, The website also states that surgeries cannot do medicals so the medical necessity will be waived. This is not so either. If you send all the paperwork back to the DVLA without the medical forms they return them and ask for a medical. Our surgery ( see my post above) did do the medical and, to their credit, when the paperwork was returned they DVLA processed it very quickly. I had to hunt around for a PO that had the medical form as well. It has changed since 3 years ago.

Archived