DVLA renewing a license.

Cattwg

The DVLA has been getting a lot of criticism lately, so I thought I’d offer some praise. My wife applied to renew her license (on line) last Saturday and the new license arrived today, Thursday. Five days, including probably at least two in the postal system. Excellent service wouldn’t you say?

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2021-12-22 6:17 PM

My wife applied to renew her license (on line) last Saturday and the new license arrived today, Thursday. Five days, including probably at least two in the postal system. Excellent service wouldn’t you say?

Cattwg :-D

Have just realised today is WEDNESDAY!! So the service was even better - four days.

I'll just keep taking the tablets. :$ :$ :$

Cattwg

DVLA has insisted that online applications are unaffected by the strikes, working from home, and other restrictive measures imposed by the Welsh administration. That doesn't look like changing with the introduction of fine of £60 for anyone going into work "without a good reason". My renewal by post, because the DVLA system couldn't handle a change of post code (address unchanged), took exactly 2 months. I think I am lucky compared to the delays for HGV licences of up to a year!

Dick

DickB - 2021-12-22 11:11 PM

...I think I am lucky compared to the delays for HGV licences of up to a year!

Dick

Eyesight-related issues mean that my wife's driving-licence cannot be renewed on-line. The necessary application documentation for licence-renewal was returned to the DVLA over 2 months ago, but there's been no acknowledgement or response. Telephoning the DVLA recently resulted in an hour on hold, after which it was confirmed that the DVLA had received the forms, but not whether their Medical Group were actually processing her application or, if they were, what the next steps would be. A week ago her driving-licence expired...

This DVLA webpage

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update#processing-dates-for-paper-applications

includes a list of processing dates for paper applications and there's also advice on applying to renew a driving licence if you have a medical condition. The latter says

As the NHS is prioritising resource to support the COVID-19 booster vaccination rollout, we have agreed with the Department of Health and Social Care to temporarily pause referrals to doctors for further information to support driving licence applications. This means some driving licence applications will take longer but we will continue to prioritise applications for bus and lorry driving licences.

Providing you have a current driving licence and you have not been told by your doctor or optician that you should not drive, you may be able to drive while DVLA is considering your application and waiting for a response from NHS professionals.

My wife's eye conditions are regularly tested medically and she has hospital appointments for this in a month's time. Whether the DVLA's Medical Group have processed her application by then is anybody's guess.

Sent my application to continue my C1. As over 70, this is the second. Time, coming up 73. Sent it off 21 June as it expires 21Sep. Still waiting. Had a minor stroke in 2004, declared it on the first C1(70) all fine. No further episodes or medication, this time they decided to check with my GP so now over six months no licence. If you can still drive (Section 88) why not just issue a 1 year licence till they can catch up. Doctor says its ok for me to drive with the C1 licence, but can not drive abroad as no licence. Not counting Covid restrictions.

• 3 weeks later...

My driving Licence for over 70`s is due.

From what I gather I will have to post it.

It appears to me that only just car renewals are available on-line,.Is this correct.?

I wish to drive my motorhome ( under 3500 kg) and continue with my motorcycle full Licence., as I could not see any mention of that.

On-line seems to be quicker, but am I eligible ?

Thanks, Alan

Thanks Witzend, just renewed On-line, so I will have to see what happens.

Yes Passport photo will be used.

My concern was a few years ago they omitted my motor bike entitlement. When I phoned them up ( Yes they use to answer in those days ) they said " We thought you did not require it anymore " !

And yes I used the free Gov website.

Thanks , Alan

breakaleg - 2022-01-11 12:12 PM

Slight change of subject but still relevant (I think)

last Wednesday went into main post office to renew our passports (check and send)

received them yesterday.

Pete

Yes, we had a similar experience applying online. Renewals seem to whistle through. It takes much longer to receive the old passport back though which is a puzzle but of no significant importance.

Online applications are for those reaching 70 years old and for vehicles under 3500kg, these are processed very quickly. However should you want to retain the C1/D1 on the licence for vehicles over 3500kg, a medical is required by your doctor or D4D. This then has to be posted, so be prepared for a long wait!!

• 3 weeks later...
I posted my renewal for the over 70 and wanted to keep my licence to drive over3500kg sent with my medical form directly into the post box in DVLA Clase Swansea in July 12th 2021 weeks went by no acknowledgement that they received my application, tried phoning emails nothing come November I read in the MMM magazine to contact your local M.P. about this and they would sort it out. So sent an Email also talked to someone in the constituency office on a Wednesday morning Thursday had a letter from DVLA saying that there was no proble with my medical and the licence had been approved, but my photo was out of date, so sent the photo and 2-3 weeks my new licence. Not bad nearly 5 months. Thank you our local M.P.

Archived