DVLA slow service.

weldted

As I will be 70 Feb 2019 and away in Portugal, I decided to apply for my C1 early. Having spoken to them on more than one occasion explaining the I would be leaving for Europe in Sep/Oct the reason for the early application. Medical done sent everything off,. On the check your licence site it shows my new details with my new licence dated 8 th August. Still waiting for my licence to arrive, several phone calls later they have said everything is ok, they have had to make some amendments? But licence should be on its way that was

29 th August. Can't understand the delay explained that I need to carry my Licence when away.

We have just upplated our van and sent off all the paperwork. I rang after several weeks and was told it was done and would be back with me by 1st September at the latest. Well it still had not arrived so I chased it and got told it was being sent that day. It took another week to arrive so lucky we ere not going away.

I can not understand why it takes so long to amend one field on a document when all the documentation was supplied.

Rang them again today still no clear answer, explained that we were waiting to leave the UK until April next year and would be away for my 70 th (Feb) they recived my application 3rd of August listed my new expiry date on the 4th but we're still progressing their checks. Wether the fact the I used an independent medical company may have delayed the process but my doctors no long do the drivers medical. They said to ring again at the end of the week.

Had notice of license renewal as at 5th July. Sent off renewal form with medical questionnaires 3rd May. Phoned 1st July to be told 'in the pipeline' and given reference number. This was followed by a section 88 letter confirming OK to continue driving until such time as I receive a decision. 30th September, received letter confirming receipt of application and forms which they will deal with "as soon as possible". FOUR months to send a first acknowledgement of receipt!! Three years ago, after sending same documents license was received within 2 weeks. Is this another sign of an ageing population I wonder?

Last year got stopped in France for turning left fair enough I missed the sign no argument. But when asked for documents produce insurance, log book and mot couldn't find driving licence, showed a photo copy officer explained he needed to see the licence not a copy. If I had been unable to produce it he would impound the van until I produced it. The fact my wife could produce hers for us to continue driving was not enough as we could just drive for a bit then swop over. Luckily I found mine having hidden it safely (too safe). He was very friendly but explained that was the law, all relevant original documents must be carried at all times he also checked online that the van was taxed. I asked him if he could check if it was taxed could he also check for insurance, licence etc. He said he could but the law still required the documents to be carried at all times.

• 2 weeks later...
Rang the DVLA again today as still no licence. Yet a different explanation, as to why no licence but beyond its with the team no more information. Have noticed my my licence has gone back to its original expiry date in Feb next year whilst last week it read August 2021 now nearly seven weeks since they recived it. I followed al the advice given as I was applying so early as will be hopefully in Portugal when current one expires.

weldted - 2018-09-19 12:02 PMRang the DVLA again today as still no licence. Yet a different explanation, as to why no licence but beyond its with the team no more information. Have noticed my my licence has gone back to its original expiry date in Feb next year whilst last week it read August 2021 now nearly seven weeks since they recived it. I followed al the advice given as I was applying so early as will be hopefully in Portugal when current one expires.

Perhaps it's gone into the "complaining customer" holding tray for whatever delay they decide to impose on such people.  Maybe it gets delayed by another few weeks every time you ring up again.

StuartO - 2018-09-19 1:39 PM
weldted - 2018-09-19 12:02 PMRang the DVLA again today as still no licence. Yet a different explanation, as to why no licence but beyond its with the team no more information. Have noticed my my licence has gone back to its original expiry date in Feb next year whilst last week it read August 2021 now nearly seven weeks since they recived it. I followed al the advice given as I was applying so early as will be hopefully in Portugal when current one expires.

Perhaps it's gone into the "complaining customer" holding tray for whatever delay they decide to impose on such people.  Maybe it gets delayed by another few weeks every time you ring up again.

Isn't the complaining customer file the round one under the desk?

Those who work in establishments like this one have a routine.

They adjust their work load according to how much is in the in folder, a small amount and their routine gets extended, a large amount and it get shifted quicker. The object is to keep a steady flow through the system.

I'm sure if you agitate them you would become a 'known person' and suffer being mishandled. Any comments or requests would need a second or third department to read your comments and assess what was said causing a delay. Keep strictly to their routine and say nothing.

Put yourself in their position, they have thousands to deal with, if 500 were urgent and dealt with straight away it would mean 500 being misplaced and put back and then when all those applying found out everyone would do it every time.

Just keep it simple Ted, if they have a query they will say and THEN add a personal name to reply to.

Not quite sure what the comment (such people) implies, rang them today as suggested by the DVLA. At all times I have been polite and thanked them for their time. What is annoying is when I first contacted them for advice it was they who quoted 2/4 weeks time scale I am not trying to jump the que just a simple explanation as to why on the 4 of August my licence when getting a code for a hire car showed the new expiry date 04/08/2021 and now today shows 21/02/2019 the original expiry date raised concerns. But no one could explain why this is so.

I was being tongue-in-the-cheek rather than implying you had been unduly complaining, just reflecting on the likelihood that DVLA staff can choose to bugger people around if they ever take the notion to do so.  Ringing up to chase a missing licence by explaining that you wanted it early to be able to go abroad might therefore have no positive value at all.  The people who answer the phone at DVLA will be pretty hard boiled and thick skinned.

The DVLA system has to cope with very high volumes of work and those in charge can't let the whole system grind to a halt, but they probably don't make much effort to solve individual problems just because someone tries to chase things up.  Your last resort is to write to your MP who will forward your letter to the Chief Exec - and then all of a sudden the file will be found, the obstacles will disappear and your licence will materialise.

StuartO - 2018-09-20 8:48 AM
I was being tongue-in-the-cheek rather than implying you had been unduly complaining, just reflecting on the likelihood that DVLA staff can choose to bugger people around if they ever take the notion to do so...

A cousin of mine was banned for a year for a drink-driving offence. As the end of the ban approached she began to pester the section of the DVLA that deals with such things, insisting that her new licence be sent to her as soon as the ban finished. This escalated to the point where she was phoning the DVLA daily. I warned her that her behaviour wouldn’t result in her licence being sent any quicker and might have repercussions. Sure enough, just before the 12-months ban expired, the DVLA extended the period to 18 months. She was outraged and asked me why the DVLA had done this. I said “Because they (rightly) believe you still have a drink problem”. For the next 6 months she drove unlicenced and uninsured.

It sounds to me as if the DVLA have just gone back to their normal routine.

Around 2 years ago a young Lady was killed by a driver who should have been banned but the DVLA were very slow at sorting this and he was technically still allowed to drive. The affair went as far as Parliament and pressure was applied to the DVLA to get their act together.

Last year I forwarded the papers to apply for my C1, my new Licence arrived within 7 working days. This went against me as I expected some delay and applied 2 months before the expiry date. My new Licence started in February instead of my 70th Birthday in mid April. :-(

Probably a different dept., But we changed 2 car log books, on wed last week,(on Line) and the new ones came back on Saturday. Maybe they concentrate on the on-line side of the buisness , as it is easier?

I don't suppose we will ever be able to change DL on line. Open to , too much fraud

PJay

Derek Uzzell - 2018-09-20 9:09 AM A cousin of mine was banned for a year for a drink-driving offence. As the end of the ban approached she began to pester the section of the DVLA that deals with such things, insisting that her new licence be sent to her as soon as the ban finished. This escalated to the point where she was phoning the DVLA daily. I warned her that her behaviour wouldn’t result in her licence being sent any quicker and might have repercussions. Sure enough, just before the 12-months ban expired, the DVLA extended the period to 18 months. She was outraged and asked me why the DVLA had done this. I said “Because they (rightly) believe you still have a drink problem”. For the next 6 months she drove unlicenced and uninsured.

And because the police have cut down so much on the number of traffic officers and ANPR cameras can't spot when an unlicensed driver is at the controls (providing the vehicle is insured for someone else to drive it) it has become much easier for unlicensed drivers to get away with driving if they wish.

Archived