Damaged Solar Panel

Redders

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has suffered solar panel damage. I was putting a mast on my roof rack and noticed the solar panel was covered in a myriad of cracks across the whole panel. I do not recall being hit by anything and I can't imagine how this has happened.

IMG_0312.jpg.2bf2f29a84b07789c46833ce9c0da295.jpg

Most likely to be impact damage I would say i.e. something hard falling onto the panel. I believe that the crazing is the normal failure mode of tempered glass and will spread from the point of impact, restricted only by the EVA encapsulant layer stuck onto its underside.

I've never seen one crack though so others may have a better analysis.

Shame, that's a nice panel with 5 busbars to a cell.

Really interesting and not something I’ve seen before. My first thought is that it’s impact damage. If so though I’d expect there to be a visible point of impact from a stone perhaps with the fractures splaying out from the impact point. I suppose a large flat object might avoid a visible impact point but that seems unlikely. Another alternative would be a bang from a tree branch but then you’d have noticed that I imagine. Thermal damage is also a possibility, for instance spraying cold water on to the panel on a really hot day. Either way I reckon the panel will need replacement.

Could it be Crows?

It is quite common for crows to attack windows on buildings and cars as they see their own reflection and think it is a rival crow.

They have been known to damage windows sufficiently that they need replacement.

I am not really sure what the photo is showing?

Is it the plastic/glass cover that is broken? or underneath it?

AND..... the obvious question ... Is the panel still working?

Archived