Damp (possibly from shower)

pike

A recent habitation check showed up a damp spot beside the habitation door, next to the wall separating the living area and the shower. When we use the shower, moisture readings increase on the wall but then reduce after not using it for a while.

I have removed the entire shower cubicle and there is no sign of water behind. I can't remove the shower tray completely without removing the entire bathroom 'suite' but I can lift it 3-4inches off the floor to look under it.

I have inspected under the tray the best I can with an endoscope - the plastic tray sits on a piece of plywood then onto polystyrene. There is no water staining on the plywood and when I pour water down the shower tray drain, nothing appears around the waste pipe.

I have also checked the shower unit itself and there is no leak.

The waste pipe runs away from the damp area, under the van into the waste tank and there is no obvious sign of water down there..

The only thing I can think of is that there might be a leak in either the hot or cold pipe between the fresh tank/boiler and the shower - those pipes run right past the area in question... However I would have thought that any leak in those pipes would have shown itself by the water pump turning itself on from time to time to re-pressurise the system from the lost water (it doesn't). Is it possible that a pipe (or joint) could leak only when the water pump is actually running, but not when the system is full of water but the pump isn't running?

Anyone have any other ideas of where the water is coming from?

Of course it might not be from the shower, however the other day I took moisture readings from the spot in question before and after using the shower and they significantly increased - it was dry outside, so no water ingress from rain..

Thanks

Condensation might be possible - I guess with the hot water pipe running past the wall it could condense on there, however the damp readings are in the wall and go up from approx 12/15% to 28%+ - they are still higher than normal 4 days since last using the van (and draining it down).

Archived