Damp problems in Elddis majestic 175

firedecisions

Just had the 2nd year habitation check done on my Elddis majestic 175 Motorhome, it has come back with 2 high damp readings, firstly on the left hand side roof by the front roof light, they have found a crack in the roof light frame which they think was caused on installation. second damp area is on the rear panel at the base on the left hand side, this one they think is also a manufacturing defect where the wooden framework has not been trimmed properly according to Elddis. Both areas going to fixed under warranty once Marquis has submitted claim and they estimate 35 hours worth of work.

This is a December 2014 registered vehicle, anybody else had similar problems?

My 2013 Elddis Autoquest 115 had very high moisture readings along the bottom of the rear wall,

discovered when I sold the van earlier this year. This was fixed by cutting out and replacing the

affected areas under Elddis warranty. The workshop foreman admitted he had seen "quite a few" with this

problem,caused by the rear wall projecting below the floor and water off the road entering through

ithe imperfectly sealed joint. So much for SOLID construction. Most of the moisture readings were

increasing with each annual check; I am relieved to have sold it.

Elddis don't have great reputation - there are plenty of threads about damp problems due to the awful construction techniques previously used.

What is disappointing is these two comments would appear to relate to the new SoLiD build method.

It hate to say it but, I could see this coming - based on what I've inspected at shows and dealers.

I think the new assembly method could actually exacerbate ingress problems.

Developing a new construction concept is one thing, being able to execute it properly is another.

I hope these are isolated cases and not a trend, now that the SoLiD is been around a few years.

Thats exactly what they said they think is the problem.

I must admit I was surprised to be told that there was as much wood in the construction when they claim it is this new solid and dry construction, what sold it to me at the time was the 10 year warranty, didn't think i would be claiming after 2. regarding build quality absolutely agree we have had nothing but problems with bits breaking on it, all done under warranty but poor reflection on Marquis ,

firedecisions - 2016-12-22 2:13 PM

I must admit I was surprised to be told that there was as much wood in the construction when they claim it is this new solid and dry construction

I'm afraid that SOLID only changed the construction method by replacing screwed joints with bonded joints in some places, but the materials used didn't change and the softwood framing continues on, to this day I believe.

The continuing use of wood by Elddis is referred to in the following two entries on their FAQ webpage.

.................................................................................................................................

Question: Why is Elddis still using timber in SoLiD Construction?

Answer: Wood is still the best material for the job. It is strong, green, provides good insulation and it bonds very well. Weight for weight – where strength matters – we choose to use wood. It is unbeatable and provides properties that polyurethane foam etc do not.

Wood has been maintained in the overall construction for a number of reasons:

Firstly, it is easy to bond to and does not require any complex surface treatments which other possible alternative materials may.

Secondly, wood is anisotropic, for example wood is easier to split along its grain and immensely strong across the grain. It is nature’s high tech composite.

The defined structure and properties of wood give strength that cannot be matched by plastic or polyurethane timbers. The use of cross grain construction within the load bearing parts maximises strength in all directions.

It is also warm. With SoLiD Construction there is no need to worry about condensation from cold plastic and metallic surfaces.

It’s encapsulated and protected meaning it will last and last without damage or rotting.

.................................................................................................................................

Question: But what happens if the wood gets wet?

Answer: It won't – SoLiD Construction prevents water ingress. Our philosophy is simple: Water can not get past a SoLiD Construction joint.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-12-22 6:31 PM.........................................................Question: But what happens if the wood gets wet?

Answer: It won't – SoLiD Construction prevents water ingress. Our philosophy is simple: Water can not get past a SoLiD Construction joint.

Not that surprised. I have looked at the published construction details and wondered then what measures had been taken to prevent water getting into the wood.

The answer above needs correcting to say: "Our philosophy is simple: Water can not get past a SoLiD Construction joint - though it may saturate it, and then spread! :-)

nyk..

You'd said that yours was remedied by "cutting out and replacing the

affected areas"..?

Do you get to see what and how, they actually did this?

because looking at those photos, I wonder if they did (could?) actually replace the complete timber section(s)?

Surely, if they've been bonded in when the panel was constructed, they'd need fully machining /"routing" out properly? How would they do all that in situ?

(hopefully the don't just rebate out the bad bit and glue/screw a new "face" piece in?) :-S

Archived