Dart Crossing Account Expiry

StuartO

There is covenience in having a top-up account for the Dart Crossing because it means you can't forget to pay. You can nominate multiple vehicleswhich can draw on the account so we list our cars and the MH so hat we neeedn't give any further thought to paying. Their computer deducts the charges automatically every time we make a crossing and draws another £10 from our credit card every time my credit with them starts getting too low.

But I had an email today telling me that since I had not made a crossing in the last 12 months, my account would be closing automatically unless I made a crossing within the next 90 days. I could have a refund if I rang them up and asked for one, otherwise they would presumably confiscate the credit balance. There appeared to be no option to keep the account open, which would be the sensible option, so I rang them. I got through remarkably quickly by selecting the "discuss your account" option from the options and spoke to a real person.

There were cumbersome security checks which took a while and I was then asked for my account number (thankfully listed in the email) and if I would be crossing within 90 days, which I thought unlikely, so I was offered an opportunity to keep the account going for another year if I allowed them to collect an additional £10 now. The account was already £13 in credit so this would take it up to £23 or I could close the account and get a refund. I make relatively few Dart Crossings per year, typically four in total travelling to and from the Channel Ports in the MH, so £23 would last more than two years.

So I asked if I would be allowed to open another top-up account by paying a £10 deposit once thsi one was closed and apparently I could do so on line as soon as my refund had been processed. With COVID uncertainty, I elected for a refund. The Call Taker explained that he would now email their Treasury Department who would try to make the refund to the card last used for a top up and if that failed they would automatically send a cheque. He could not tell me which card would be used and I was told not to worry if the card used had expired by now.

The cost of employing people to handle this bureaucratic system will presumably eat into the profits, perhaps even consume them entirely.

Thanks for the heads up, like many, I use the crossing regularly and therefore hadn't been aware of the 12 month issue, however, I have just checked my account and notice I last used it in July on my way back from Germany and my forward travel plans are UK based, so a long way to go, none the less something I wasn't previously aware of and need to keep an eye on of Covid drags on (and on and on ....).

Hmmm, I haven't received an email, but I just use a credit card account, eg my balance is always zero but when i make a crossing they just take £2.50 I last used in March, also a word in the ear If you get rid of a car or a motorhome you need to take it off their list or you will be charged for the crossing! LOL (lol) I sold our last Motorhome last year and 3 weeks later I got charged for the crossing that the new owner had made!! and you don't get a refund (lol) (lol)

Jonathan

Archived