Dartford crossing

Mickt

I had an email from Dart Charge some time ago stating if I did not use my account within 90 days it would be closed. Money unspent would be refunded and the tags i had must be returned or there would be a charge of £15 for each one, I have 2.

I telephone them and explained that as we are not allowed to travel about at the moment that was not a good idea.

Lady said no problem we will keep you account open as long as you wish.This seems a funny way to do things as they had my money and there was no cost to them.

I've had an account for some years, generally used for at least 4 crossings per year, but, of course, none for the last year.

It was originally set up for i) the convenience of not having to do anything in real time (if the account is in credit, and ii) the fact that it originally gave a reasonable discount on the standard fee for each crossing.

I received the same notification (and was aware that some people had had their account extended FOC), but I decided to close it anyway.

The discount for having an account is now rather less (50p per crossing), and they have recently introduced a "Paygo" system, whereby you can register your vehicle(s) and nominate a charge card. (So, much like the account, but with no minimum £10.00 commitment, but charged as and when).

I intend to set this up before next crossing (in 2026 or so ;-) )

The request by 'phone to have my outstanding balance returned was answered promptly and politely, and the money hit my bank account rather quicker than I expected.

I have linked my bank account to it, only use 2 times a year at most, then they just take the dosh each time i cross there is no credit involved my balance remains at zero all the time, had this for 5 years now, although i did sell the last Mo Ho and forget to deregister it with them and got charged £2.50 when the new owner went across 1 month after I sold it *-) :D

Jonathan

Archived