Dartmoor Overnight Parking

potus4388

Overnight sleeping in vehicles in car parks or by the side of the road is not allowed as Dartmoor is a National Park and NP bye laws apply . (Look at the Dartmoor website under "wild camping".)

Tavistock CCC site is virtually on the edge of Dartmoor. There are numerous great walking opportunities straight from the site.

Another option would be to park at the Plume of Feathers public house at Princetown. I think it is £8.50 per person per night and you don’t have to vacate your space by any particular time. They do offer shower/toilet facilities which are basic but usable!

Make sure you park in the car park behind the pub and not in the public car park opposite.

The food at the Plume of Feathers is superb and being in the centre of the Moor it offers you direct access to many good walking routes.

Princetown is best approached from Plymouth or Tavistock directions. The other directions are passable but tight in places and the Devon hedges, being mainly made out of granite, are unforgiving!

potus4388 - 2019-04-09 4:37 AM

The Tavistock site looks good, although I am with the other club, I will look into that!

We found it to be an excellent base for super walks direct from the site.

If you are going to stay for a few days it will be worth joining CCC as you will save quite a few pounds per night by being a member.

potus4388 - 2019-04-10 12:45 PM

Joined today and booked the site!

Thanks for your response and advice??

Got an extra discount for being over sixty too!

Glad to have been of help.

Thanks for getting back. (Not everybody responds with feedback after their question has been answered by others.)

Enjoy your trip.

potus4388 - 2019-04-07 12:44 PM

I want to do some walking on Dartmoor, does anyone have any suggestions about parking up overnight? Perhaps you have done something similar and can share your experiences?

Thanks

Are you going Letterboxing??

Good fun

:-) :-)

Archived