Dash cam?

patandlynn

Hi there,

After a near miss that was totally not our fault we are thinking we should get a dash cam. Can anyone point us in the right direction? Two questions:

As our sat nav is getting very old we are considering a sat nav/dash cam combo (suitable for Europe) can anyone recommend decent models?

Do we have it hardwired or portable (there's a possibility we may change 'vans) can they be easily swapped if hardwired?

Many thanks indeed.

I have Dash Cams on my three vehicles including my Camper.

I find them a very useful for both recording trips or interesting drives as well as giving peace of mind in case.

My son in law a police officer was hit by a bus on a country lane while turning a corner. The Bus was on the wrong side of the road. On claiming the Bus company said he was at fault. All busses carry several dash cams and he called in their record and guess what they paid up.

Scottish King, Cave and Spider.

I've had Transcend 220 for over a year and it's brilliant, very clear pictures and does all of what you should need including automatically recording and storing any sudden stop ie crash. But be aware all these cameras also record your own driving.

For those new to dash cams, like me, this is a good website to give you a flavour of what to consider before purchase:

http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

It's worth watching the videos on each of the products he's reviewed, just for his amusing and easy going presentation style.

He covers general daytime picture quality, night time definition, use of a polarisation filter, ease of use etc

I use a stand-alone dash cam however have read recently that they are not legal in Luxembourg and Austria (large fines in Austria) and frowned upon in Germany. All to do with privacy laws.

Eggy - 2017-05-28 6:56 PM

I use a stand-alone dash cam however have read recently that they are not legal in Luxembourg and Austria (large fines in Austria) and frowned upon in Germany. All to do with privacy laws.

Whilst it's true that Germany is very hot on privacy issues (hence the reason we don't have Google StreetView - which I miss) its rare that you will see a patrol car or policeman. Certainly in my region anyway just South of Koblenz. I've been driving around with a dashcam fitted for almost three years.

You do see armed cops at railway stations and airports but the car is usually in the car park by then ;-)

I should point out that there are a couple of places that Google still show StreetView (i.e Koln) but this is hopelessly out of date. When Germany banned the use of Streetview the agreement was that the existing views could stay but each year they are getting more and more out of date.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

I have a dashcam and it's brilliant. Excellent HD quality and we often use the footage and incorporate it into our movie making. You cannot tell the difference between the quality of the dashcam footage or that taken with my normal HD video camera and we're watching it on a 55" screen.

The one I have has been superseded but this is almost identical

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D8YP50A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_5?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=BQZB0TC68MC5ZG030PQJ&th=1

Barry

Barney123 - 2017-05-28 6:07 PM

Has anyone bought one of those Dash Cams sold by Aldi's, the Maxtek 1008P, are they any good ??

Bought one a couple of weeks whilst touring - Scotland - seems O.K. very neat and quite a wide field of view.

Barney123 - 2017-05-28 6:07 PM

Has anyone bought one of those Dash Cams sold by Aldi's, the Maxtek 1008P, are they any good ??

I bought one from tescos petrol station for aboutv £20.

Have to say that it works really well for the money.

william4 - 2017-05-29 8:43 AM

Bought one a couple of weeks whilst touring - Scotland - seems O.K. very neat and quite a wide field of view.

Thanks William, have bought one and will give it a try, if its no good can always take it back.

Eggy - 2017-05-28 6:56 PM

I use a stand-alone type......this exact model; https://eu.mio.com/en_gb/mivue-538-deluxe.htm

Gives excellent results with gps,speed, time and date stamp. I wouldn't take too much notice about "privacy laws" etc. I've spent the past week in Germany and no police were in the least bit interested. Close to Berlin about 30 police vans were parked up on a service area on their way to some football match and my cam didn't bother them.....i think they have better things to do!

We are using the Trancend 200 and a couple of Next Base 312's. I prefer the Trancend after I switched off the collision sensor. Both are on continuous record with 16BG memory - enough for us.

Archived