Dashboard entry switch for raising the steps not working

flyboyprowler

The dashboard switch to raise the entry steps on our 2018 Niesmann Flair is not working. The main entry switch by the door operates the steps normally, but when the ignition is on, the light on the dashboard switch just flashes red. Any one with similar problems or ideas?

I am not familiar with the normal operation of the dashboard switch on your vehicle, so I will have to make some assumptions.

With ignition ON, the switch flashes red until the steps are retracted.

In normal operation you may be able to retract the steps at any time, from the dashboard switch, or the steps auto retract when the ignition is ON.

In the resting state both sides of the step motor are connected to -ve (earth).

Auto retraction of the steps will involve a relay which removes the standing negative from the step orange wire, and applies 12V +ve supply. This makes the motor retract the steps until the step limit switch breaks the -ve connection to the relay coil. The same limit switch contact also turns off the warning light.

I do not know the thinking behind it, (I can make some guesses.) but the standard Omnistep instructions use the habitation battery to operate the steps via the switch near the door, but the starter battery is used for the auto retract function. This starter battery supply will have a fuse, which may have failed. If this is the cause, then the fuse failure may be due to a faulty limit switch, as the circuit is designed to stall the motor before switching off. A stalled motor takes considerably more current than one which is running normally.

Alan

Thank you Alan, a very comprehensive reply. We do not have an auto retract function on the Niesmann, the steps are retracted either by the main switch by the door, or, if you forget to raise them, then there is an alarm (with the ignition on) and they can then be raised using either the main or the dashboard switch. The dashboard switch is definitely powered hence the red flashing light but the steps will not raise. The steps can only be lowered using the main switch.

Yes, there is control power from the ignition to the switch, as evidenced by the flashing warning light.

However the supply to the step relay contacy 87, which powers the step when the switch is pressed may be missing.

Another possibility is that the control supply is not reaching the relay coil.

A faulty relay is also possible, but from a long experience of working with relays, I tend to be sceptical.

Again I assume that a relay has been used as the most sensible option, rather than the alternative of installing thicker cables and routing the actual motor current via a more complex dashboard switch.

I can see the logic of using a dashboard switch, rather than full auto retract when ignition is switched ON.

e.g. You wish to read the odometer or check fuel level on site. Step retracts, unwitting partner, or forgetfull self tries to exit vehicle....... That's why I changed mine to D+ control for auto retract.

Alan

Archived