Dead locks

Guest Bill H

Guest Dave Newell
Hi Bill, As it happens I've just developed a remote deadbolt system and fitted the first one last week. The deadbolt in question is a 14mm dia steel pin which is fired from the door into the "B" pillar by remote control. The advantage is that even if the normal locks are broken the deadbolts will hold the door securely closed. Phone me on 01952 587702 for more info. dave@davenewell.co.uk www.davenewell.co.uk P.S. yes I am the same Dave Newell as featured in "Mikes Motorcaravaning Month" fitting Cruise ccontrol to "the bosses" 'van.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Dave refers to a 'dead-bolt' system. On a motor vehicle the term deadlock (called "double locking" in the Ford Transit handbook) normally indicates a system where the door's normal locking-mechanism can be disengaged from (or can 'jam') the interior door-opener(s). This prevents a door from being opened from inside the vehicle, particularly useful if a cab window has been smashed to attempt to gain entry. There are (obvious) safety implications when these systems are fitted to motorhomes as it makes emergency exit via the deadlocked or dead-bolted door impossible until the lock has been released remotely or by key (depending on the system). In fact Ford specifically warn that double-locking should not be activated when people are inside the vehicle. I managed to lock myself out of my previous motorhome when a dead-bolt on the caravan-door became faulty and I had deliberately jammed the cab door locks. An amusing incident in retrospect but much less funny at the time.

Guest Dave Newell
Derek is absolutely right about the terminology, a true deadlock is the type where (usually) a double turn of the key leaves the lock disconnected from internal handles. Sadly manufacturers locks are rarely more than nuisance value to your average vehicle thief. The deadbolt is an auxiliary lock that will defeat all but a violent attack with a big crowbar. I agree there is a potential hazard regarding emergency egress but I don't honestly think many people would climb into the cab to exit via the cab doors. The caravan door is much more likely to be used and if that was not possible, perhaps because of fire then the living area windows are probably easier to get to. Anybody who couldn't get out of a window in an emergency would probably fibnd difficullty in exiting via cab doors under similar circumstances. Many people have resorted to chaining the cab door handles together for security but the weak link there is the fixings holding the handles to the doors. Once the lock is defeated one good pull will probably separate the door from its handle rendering the chain nothing more than nuisance value. www.davenewell.co.uk

Archived