Decriminalised parking

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club

I would like to bring the following to your attention. Local people and business organisations are being urged to make their views known regarding parking costs as part of an investigation to be carried out by MPs. A parliamentary transport committee is to probe parking fees and fines imposed by councils and are inviting people to submit written evidence. MPs believe that the governments transport system strategy gives little priority to parking policy-even though parking fees imposed nationally last year raised nearly one billion pounds. Surpluses generated by parking fines can be kept by local authorities for transport related spending-and the MPs are questioning whether this has become the main motivation for local authority parking control. In particular the select committee will examine: Are local authorities carrying out parking control reasonably, fairly and accountably? What actions would raise the standard of parking enforcement activity? Is statutory guidance needed to promote consistency? Is the appeals process fair and effective? How could it be improved? Is it appropriate that local authorities should keep the revenue generated from parking fines? Is there any evidence that the opportunity to raise revenue through decriminalised parking enforcement has inappropriately influenced councils’ parking policy and enforcement activity? What criteria should be used to determine the level of parking that should be provided? What are the wider impacts of current parking policy and illegally parked vehicles? What role should parking policy play in traffic management? How can public understanding and the acceptance of the need for parking policy be achieved? People and organisations wanting to put their views to the committee should submit written statements before Monday October 3rd.

I have just been given the contact details for the above topic: http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_committees/transport_committee/trans05_06_press_notice04.cfm or by post to: Transport Committee House of Commons 7 Millbank London SW1P 3JA There is an opportunity here to get better provision for motorhome parking generally, but also specifically to prevent the proliferation of height barriers where the only reason for this can be to prevent potential problems with travellers.

I know a parking attendant in our local town and when we meet up she relates some of the things people do to avoid paying the fines and the excuses people come up with for parking in restricted areas One had left his car blocking the access to the emergency exits for a large store The PA took a photo of the car and gave them the statutary time allowance before issuing the ticket - 2 hrs later the person turned up and claimed the car had only been left for 5 mins while they visited the nearby toilets Another left a child in the car - No parking ticket again a photo was taken and in due course the ticket issued. This person complained and when a copy of the photo was shown they threatened police actioin because a photograph of their child had been taken without permission Parking of motorhomes We take up two bays and have been told to put in two tickets - you could overhang the front of the bay - but could be charged for causing obstruction of the path to other bays A disabled badge allows you to take up one space

I did read somewhere that as long as your wheels were within the marked area then you were parked leagally and you couldn't be issued with a fine.I have about a 6ft overhang on mine so could I get away with it? How true was that information.

Not very true If as you say you have a 6ft overhang and your rear wheels are just in the bay. Then that would leave 6 ft out of bay, or in the one behind you Firsy could be classed as impeding the trafic past your van The senond would put you in the position of denying others the use of that second bay Either way you would probably get a ticket Best thing with the over hang is to find a bay which backs onto a grass area and go in backwards over the grass

Archived