Detaching window catches

Wirralian

Can someone offer advice on how to detach catches and stays off my van window. Van is a 2007 Hymer.

I am having to replace a window which is delaminating and is misting badly.All attempts to seal it have failed.

I have taken the window off the van and will be taking it for a copy to be made of by a local firm. Simple enough but I can't take the catches and stays off the window! At first I thought that the catches were bonded onto the window but slight a movement in one suggests that they are meant to be slid off. Would this be case? But other than that slight movement in one catch, no amount of persuasion (including WD40) will move them. Any advice would be welcome

John

If they're like mine, you open the window to full and then flick the little retaining clip on the arm (the part that clicks when you push it up to close the window) and the stay slides off. Window should then be free apart from the small black block which is fasted with 2 screws which are visible once the arm is removed. On some models there is a tiny screw in the black bit which has to be removed first then as above.

If it's not like that, post a picture and you're sure to get answers very quickly

Mike

Brambles - 2012-09-09 11:52 PM

On mine, there is a very small hole you can push a small rod/pin into to release the catch so the handle or bracket for stay can slide of. Once you see the little hole you will wonder why you have never noticed it before.

Thats exactly how the window catches on mine are fitted. It's the normal arrangement for Poly Plas windows, which are fitted to some Hymer models.

Many thanks for your responses. Bramble, you were spot on! I had noticed the small hole in each catch and stay but as I could not see a suggestion of a screw head there I thought that it was just a jigging enablement at manufacture.

At the moment I have taken one stay and a catch off. Just a firm tap and they slide off. Unfortunately, the action breaks off the lug which means that the catch/stay slide off without being locked in place. Perhaps jamming a pin in the hole will do the trick.

I have just spoken with the replacement window firm, and ironically, have been told to leave the catches and stays for them to take off and replace on the new window!!

John *-)

• 6 years later...

Archived